Trump proposes 35% tariff on any company that builds factory outside USA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

[​IMG]

So does this just apply to manufacturing plants? What about companies that are building data centers and R&D offices in Europe, China, India etc. does this apply to them too? And what about existing products that are already being manufactured overseas (like all of Ivanka Trump's clothing)? Are iPhones going to become 35% more expensive if Apple doesn't open an iPhone assembly plant in the US? I guess instead of Make America a Great Again, it's Make America Venezuela. This is nuts.

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

but he already went back on this.

3. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Really? He just posted this on FB and Twitter this morning.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

he said this when he was running for president. but Carrier was not this now was it?

5. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Oh for the love of god, if you're going to debate something, know what it is:

Trump warns of ‘retribution’ for companies that offshore jobs, threatening 35 percent tariff - The Washington Post
    https://apple.news/AyaZMoJ1BSO-09Z2elNe_BQ

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

So, is he going to stop his own overseas manufacturing? Or will he give himself an exemption? "Make America Great Again...unless you're me...I can still do my stuff overseas".

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

of course he will give himself and exemption cause you know the law is on his side and all.

9. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Well he's officially not president yet. I don't think the governor of Indiana can impose tariffs can he?

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

he wishes. but really I can't see this happening since it will hit the wallets of a lot of republicans.

11. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

It's going to be awful hard to do this, and not violate existing trade treaties.

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

That's your first mistake. Don't watch Maddow. I don't even know you but you are better than that.

13. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

right cause we all know better to watch fox.

14. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Fox is a joke as well.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Assuming he actually went through with it then yes iPhones would have a 35% price increase as well as almost everything else you buy. No company will go along with moving manufacturing because they know Americans like their cheap goods, and if they wait two years until the next congressional election things will change since going along with Trump on this is the one thing that could get us to vote out our representatives.

16. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Yeah, now we are convinced.

/s

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so your saying she faked a video of a trump rally saying he wants to do what he tweeted this weekend?

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Biased reporting is biased reporting.

19. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Exactly. Never mind that she was a Rhodes Scholar and has a MA from Oxford and PhD in political science from Stanford.

20. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

that he said the same thing but when it came to Carrier he chose not to do it. who is going take him seriously if he does not do what he says he will do?

22. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I think the gist is that you are not going to build a plant outside the US and then import those goods right back in without penalty. If a data center is built outside the US and used mainly for business outside the US, then fine. Same with cars. If Ford wants to build a plant in Mexico and sell those cars there, no problem.

As for Ivanka's clothes, those are produced no doubt by a contract manufacturer. No jobs were lost because she found someone overseas to make them. Same with Apple. Now if Apple decides to build its own factory outside the US, then maybe.

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm kind of surprised his transition team hasn't taken away his phone, assuming they aren't using this as a diversion.

24. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

Sounds all good but Americans don't understand that there is no free lunch.

Products and services are going to be very expensive. So the more expensive things are. The less they sell. The less money businesses make, It means more Job Cuts.

25. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

What does it matter if you're contracting out the manufacturing or not? The fact is those contract manufacturers are not located in the United States. But the bigger argument here is the president of the United States shouldn't be allowed to make these decisions. We don't live in a dictatorship.