Trump - Public President

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by martint235, Feb 2, 2017.

1. martint235 macrumors regular

martint235

ok in the U.K. we've just had a news report about Trump having a public spat with Schwarzenegger about Apprentice etc. From the U.K. this seems really strange. Our politicians rarely have public spats, they aren't even allowed to call one another a liar in the House of Commons.

As an American, do you find this very public element to the Presidency:

1. Refreshing. Long may it continue
    2. Cringeworthy. When are the WH staff going to get a grip of him

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

... at a prayer breakfast. :confused:

I'll vote Cringeworthy.

But I have no doubt that the usual group of suspects supporters will find this deliciously refreshing.

3. martint235 thread starter macrumors regular

martint235

It's a genuine question though. I honestly don't know how I'd feel. In a way it seems refreshing to have an unfettered leader but on the other hand I prefer a semblance of control

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I think he just need to ignore 95% of everything and let the BS roll off his back. He can't, but that would be my hope (for any president).

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

It would be nice to have a grownup in the Oval Office as we had for the last eight years. Hopefully we'll only have to deal with four of this imbecile.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

One of the main reasons he was elected was because he "broke the mold" and will sound off regardless. Apparently some find that refreshing from the script politicians typically follow.

7. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

You don't grab Trump, he grabs you.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Given that what he says and how he says it will have an effect that will extend far beyond him, - economically, politically, optically - culturally - it would be nice to think that he would engage his brain, and learn to exercise a little restraint, before he opens his mouth.

That doesn't mean that everything has to be scripted in advance - or completely spun - we all do remember the "spin" element of Mr Blair's government, which, ultimately, served to undermine his credibility - but it does suggest that some forethought before speech (or tweeting) mightn't be a bad idea.

Personally, I am not a fan of the most powerful politician in the western world having the self-control, and impulse control of a two year old.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes by the *****.

10. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

I'd just like to point out that with only a couple notable exceptions, Obama was very good at this.

11. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

And they let him do it.

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

only his yes men.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Made up scandal. What happened is that Trump was introduced by one of the producers of the Apprentice, and Trump made a joke about Arnolod and his ratings, the joke was directed at the producer that was there, so he said basically that he could pray that the ratings go up.
    But when he said "the hell with it," well... that was bad-ish.

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

....if he's going to go off the cuff at least do it with some humor like Reagan did.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

How is it "made up"?

Arnold didn't seem to take is a joke ...

16. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I vote cringeworthy.

It is true that this man campaigned on a promise of "no more Political Correctness". And he's making good on that promise, so yeah, the people who voted for him are getting what they voted for. But man, having a guy in the White House going around like a gang member, sneering into the face of every other world leader, and saying "what'cha goin to do about it? Huh? HUH??" is really depressing. We've pretty much given up on being an upstanding member of the international community at this point... :(

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

"I hope you all are Republicans."
    To the surgery team that was about to put him under anesthesia to treat him for his gun shot wound.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Made up meaning that it was a joke directed to a guy in the audience, nothing huge. Not a great joke if you ask me.
    Well, if you use the same 'seriousness' parameters we could say that Arnold does not love the constitution as he's asking something which goes against it...
    In reality, it's part of the show. Arnold's ratings will go up, and Trump is once again at the center of the spotlight (while the Dems' resistance to the SCOTUS nominee is now a small title in the papers).

19. samcraig macrumors P6

I would probably care less about what he says (ok, maybe not really) if he were able to take it. He can dish it out and has in spades. But he can't take it in return. Weak.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you spelled war criminal wrong.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 2, 2017 ---
    Obama promised "transparency" and it took wiki leaks to get any of it. trump has ALWAYS been "public" and in your face, YES it should change and he should be less conspicuous, got a feeling it;s going to take time, no weeks in & he dominates all over the interweebs .

21. samcraig macrumors P6

Pretty sure if he was trying to spell war criminal or even intended it - he would have done it correctly. Stop projecting your views on others :)

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Your view is unacceptable.

[​IMG]

23. samcraig macrumors P6

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Obama promised transparency before he found out exactly how mired in corruption by the captains of industry our government actually is. If he had been transparent about it he wouldn't even be on the face of the earth now. No one should mistake for "transparency" Mr. Trump's willingness to tweet or speak ad hoc to any issue.

Just consider how much transparency there was even within his own administration on the rollout of the executive order on the immigration halt: zero. Even DHS was briefed only as the Trump was signing the thing.

Consider the appointment of Mnuchin to Treasury Secretary. Transparency, my ass. This guy will drain the swamp only far enough to find those half-grown crocodiles that keep nipping at the ankles of bankers. Once those annoying critters are dispatched, the swimming pool is open for business as usual once the nursery delivers the baby sharks and a few of their minders.

And with this administration's friends of anti-anti-corruption legislation like our new SoS Rex Tillerson, why should anyone think draining the swamp was ever any priority of the party under whose banner Trump "the populist" played his pied piper tunes? "Pied piper" is a well known phrase; maybe the GOP doesn't know all the various endings that the original tale of the Pied Piper of Hamelin has had on offer over the years. In some of them the children following the piper don't end up in great shape. Anyway later for whatever might happen to us, since for the moment the GOP simply hastens to have their way with annoying bits of Dodd-Frank regulations so the banks can get down to brass tacks again.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The great excuse of bullies ... "I was just joking. What? Can't you take a joke?"