Trump pulls Ex-CIA Director Brennan's Security Clearance

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Aug 15, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

https://www.politico.com/story/2018...y-clearance-of-ex-cia-director-brennan-778791

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...out-the-mueller-probe/?utm_term=.9bfd7b6d2405

This is some BS move.

“Mr. Brennan’s lying and recent conduct characterized by increasingly frenzied commentary is wholly inconsistent with access to the nation’s most closely held secrets and facilities, the very aim of our adversaries which is to sow division and chaos,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said, reading a statement from Trump while briefing reporters on Wednesday. “Mr. Brennan has recently leveraged his status as a former high-ranking official with access to highly sensitive information to make a series of unfounded and outrageous allegations — wild outbursts on the internet and television — about this Administration,“ the president‘s statement continued.

Only - there's nothing stopping from Brennan from doing the same. All Trump wants to do is try and silence Brennan by trying to discredit him.

Fortunately, Brennan responded

“This action is part of a broader effort by Mr. Trump to suppress freedom of speech & punish critics,” he wrote. “It should gravely worry all Americans, including intelligence professionals, about the cost of speaking out. My principles are worth far more than clearances. I will not relent," he wrote.

2. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

This may be the first draining the swamp Trump has done. Bravo.

Brennan was a swamp creature. Love watching liberals defend him.

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Context matters. Trump didn't revoke his clearance for any other reason that it was a punch back for someone talking smack about him. Nothing more - nothing less.

4. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

That is the best reason. Trump is sending a message to others like Clapper who were abusing their privilege. If there is no "need to know," I see no reason for ex-CIA officers from keeping their security clearances.

5. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

6. cube macrumors P6

Clearance does not imply access.

7. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Then it's no big deal right? Most friends I know in service lose clearance when the leave.

8. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

How did he abuse his privilege?

It's not big deal that he's lost access. That's not what Trump cares about. Trump is doing this to try and discredit him by making it look like without access, his opinion matters less.

9. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

https://news.clearancejobs.com/2018...he-clearances-of-former-government-officials/

“Typically, senior government officials keep their security clearance eligibility when they leave office – even if they are no longer government employees,” said Evan Lesser, founder and president of ClearanceJobs. “This is done to ensure continuity between administrations, allow former officials to consult government and industry on national security matters, and keep senior people readily available in the event of an emergency. While they may maintain their eligibility, their access to classified information remains on a need-to-know basis like everyone else. Ultimately, the president has the power to grant or revoke security clearances to whomever he chooses.”

10. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Wonderful. It's been two years. I think he's served his purpose. Defending this makes liberals look like hypocrites. They were the first to attack the CIA and Brennan in the past.

11. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

12. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Context is key, revoking his clearance for being critical of Trump makes Trump look like the child we already know he is.

13. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Thank you for clearing this up for us. Now we can move on.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 15, 2018 ---
    Thank you for the video. Still, they won’t listen to you. Why? Well, because Trump.

14. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

When was that disputed?

15. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

So you're just complaining there's politics in politics?

16. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

So commenting in a thread about a subject equates to complaining? Again at no point did I dispute that Trump didn't have the power the revoke the clearance.

17. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Are we not upset with Russia for spying? I think you know where I’m gonna go with this.

18. cmaier macrumors G5

How did he abuse his privilege? You see no reason? Then you are blind. You don’t want current national intelligence agencies to be able to consult with the guy who got Bin Laden? You don’t think that might be helpful at times?

19. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

By all means, please go on.

20. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

At times is fine with me.

21. NT1440, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018

NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Great, the orange jackass can do something right by stumbling into for the wrong reasons.

Someone is going to have to explain to me how having Murder Inc’s (been a while since that name has been in fashion, bring it back) leadership with lifetime access to intelligence is a good or desirable thing. These are *monstrous* people and I’m supposed to be upset when they lose access to information? Are any of you really going to argue that the likes of Gina Haspel should have security clearances her whole life?

Do any of you even know what the CIA continues to do around the world? These aren’t the friends of democracy. If you’re on board for abolishing ICE for being a terrorist organization (it is.), that should apply 1000x for the agency that continues funding terrorism/drug lords/arms dealers all over the world today. There is nothing redeeming about the institution of the CIA and I can’t believe that trump being president has managed to whitewash their current history. It’s a monstrous organization, period. Anything that dismantles it should be celebrated regardless of who does it, because it really is that dangerous and bloodthirsty. Toppling democracies since day one and right up into current day.

Side note for history buffs, anyone remember what happened after Allen Dulles was ****-canned? If you did, you might be celebrating this move for extremely dark reasons...

22. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

23. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

24. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Nope, that was the Pakistanis, hence why he was living in a house arrest scenario in the the town equivalent of West Point here. We’re supposed to believe that with all the Pakistani intelligence officials who live there that UBL was somehow hiding out without them knowing? That’s a rich story, one sold hard by the corporate media here.

You’d think once in a while people would look past the headline or the Hollywood narrative sold to us with assistance for the DoD, but here we are.

25. Dmunjal macrumors 65816