Trump, Putin had second, undisclosed talk at G-20

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Jul 18, 2017.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

And the only other person there was Putin's translator. This type of behaviour is unparalleled and looks horrible. Trump is truly an imbecile. One of the prime rules of diplomacy is never meet alone with anyone who is perceived to be hostile to your nation. That certainly means Putin. Trump's handlers are either incompetent or he's refusing to listen to them. Either way, this looks very bad, since large segments of the American public already think the moron in chief is a Russian patsy.

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...utin-held-second-informal-meeting-during-g-20

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

does it matter? trump could pledge is full support to putin and he would be seen as progressive.
    I mean come on how what do we expect with this?
    IMG_2051.JPG

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

:D:eek::D:eek::D:eek: How friggin' awesome is that?! 45 knows people in the US are going on & on about meeting with Russians, and he has to go THAT much further! How you can you not be aware of the optics of this?! Then NOT disclose it! :confused: Wow! There's no secret meetings with the Russians. ROFL

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well yes cause you like the Russians over our allies from what I have sen you post.

6. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Finally, something I can agree with a Democrat on.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...disclosed-talk-with-putin-is-deeply-troubling

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah.

Trump: "I have no children that are adults already. I am an entrepreneur and a President. How could I have made time to start a dynasty so long ago. Listen, I have to solve this little intel puzzle for Vladimir, he's waiting, I have to go, call me later."

The second meeting sounds like fun to turn into a parlor game, guessing who said what, bonus points if we finally read our own guess in the newspaper some morning.

Trump is such a sketch. McConnell and Ryan must want to beam him up to somewhere.

I think they've all lawyered up enough not to take that route any more. The boys are leaking to the press, lawyers telling them get it out there before it kills you. And Trump himself only plays at telling the press to take a hike. He's always going to hammer on them because whenever he does, he gets covfefe.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The press has absolutely nothing to do with it, and this is what Trump supporters don't get.

With the specter/air of collusion, obstruction of justice, and the possible violation of the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution hanging over Trump's head, the last thing you need is a private undisclosed meeting with the very government possibly responsible for the interfering of the election that got Trump into office.

This is not a good look for Trump, and will fuel even more fire in Congress, especially regarding the hearings over aforementioned collusion, obstruction of justice, and the Mueller investigations.

This does NOT look good for Trump, but yeah.. keep thinking it's only about the Press. :rolleyes:

BL.

9. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

I'm not even shocked anymore. Secret meetings with Russians is just business as usual with Trump's presidency and administrations.

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

True. But we must not let this become the new norm. And not get complacent about it.

11. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

How do we know it wasn't a meeting to discuss a cease-fire in Syria? I understand that this is the first time in the history of the modern world that that the leaders of two countries had a private discussion, but since it was private how do we know that it was something to benefit Russia alone?

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

We don't, and that's the point. We will never know at all. They could have literally been talking about anything, from positive change in Syria and North Korea to collusion and scheming with Putin to literally anything in between.

And the optics are horrible. Yet again. That is all this administration seems to know how to do...provide bad optics.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

OPTICS. Not even a fricken translator as witness. It's actually a breach of protocol.

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

trump really thinks he is bullet proof. when so many investigations happening to you about russia private Putin meetings should be on the bottom of your agenda.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

well he has good security details so he's probably bullet proof in the literal sense, but as far as getting himself into hot water, he steps further into messes of his own making every day. This looks really terrible. Even if all they did was have tea and talk about women.

16. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Optics bad? Sure. But couldn't you also look at it from the other side and say it looks bad for Putin at home? Specifically to Schiff's comments...why assume it was bad for the US and not for Russia?

Seriously...do any of you really believe that Obama, Bush, Clinton, Dad Bush, Reagan, Carter, or any other president never had a private conversation with the leader of another country?

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

were they being investigated about ties to that country though? thats the difference.

18. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

So US/Russia relations cease because of an investigation? I get it, it looks bad. But maybe Trump said, "Hey Vlad, I'm dealing with this bull---t investigation at home and it would be best if we talked privately about this Syria deal..."
    I know what you're gonna say. I'm just saying that everyone assuming it was bad because it was a private conversation might be a little ridiculous.

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Please. Russia has messed around with our presidential election process. Now we have a President sitting down for a private meeting with Putin and his translator, no other American present. While he's under investigation for possible obstruction of justice in having fired Comey over the FBI's original Russia-related investigation, and while his kid and senior campaign staff are under investigation for having bit down on an offer from Russia to provide dirt on Trump's opponent in 2016.

A child in a middle school civics class could tell you that looks terrible and that Trump was not wise to take such a meeting.

The appearance of impropriety still means something. Even today. Even in this administration.

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

why would they need a private meeting for that? maybe trump was just meeting with his banker.

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

That post is exactly why Trump shouldn't have taken that meeting. There'll be no end of speculation. It could have been about his kid and did Vlad set that up, how could you, etc. etc. and Putin doubtless saying yo man why I do something like that we are friendz.

So let Trump tell us what it was about then. We can always count on Vladimir to correct our President's account of that meeting (at a time of his own choosing...) if Trump tells us a lie.

22. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Honest question: do you think country leaders ever speak privately?

23. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Honestly. o_O You can't see how with all that's going on with Russia, having a private meeting where NO ONE knows what is said, doesn't look bad? Keep in mind, NO translator, Putin brought one, 45 no. Russia had a press conference about the earlier meeting, the U.S. no. 45 rails about meetings with the Russians are fake new, and has an EXTRA one with the Russian leader and KEEPS it secret. WTHey?!

But hey let's not jump to conclusions, perhaps 45 was catching up on GoT with Putin.

24. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I am sure they do. but come on now trump and Russia investigations trump in debt to Russia banks. maybe he was just renegotiating his loans.

25. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

They do speak privately in short ( 5 -10 min ) meetings, all presidents have done it. They don't do it for 30 minutes though in front of others who also wonder why they'd break protocol. Longer meetings usually have someone taking notes, if you're not taking notes.... Well, it looks a little sketchy.