Trump quotes Wikileaks/Sputnik misquote

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Oct 10, 2016.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I admit it -- I'm nervous. Somebody in Trump's campaign is getting fed hot-off-the-press anti-Clinton propaganda straight from Russia. As it happens, someone made a dumb error. Read this:

http://www.newsweek.com/vladimir-pu...-clinton-donald-trump-benghazi-sputnik-508635

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

On the way home from work I heard some of Trump's rally where he was talking about, "sleazy Sidney," and the eaxact same things your Newsweek article talks about.

Trump is in a desperate position, so he's grabbing at anything he can.

Hopefully this disinformation (lies) won't be spread too irresponsibly.

3. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Trump has many ties to Russia. I wonder if one of them has close ties to the FSB? The following article was published right before Manafort's activities were disclosed in the NY Times and Manafort resigned.

http://time.com/4433880/donald-trump-ties-to-russia/

4. Limey77 macrumors regular

My question is "why don't the moderators call him out?" Surely that's their job to moderate the debate and correct fallacies on both sides?

Obviously they'll miss some things, but 80%+ of what Trump said was demonstrably false - not a mistake but deliberately false because it played to his base. The moderators should call him out each and every time he lies.

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Moderators job is to moderate, not "call people out", Hillary is supposed to know the facts to make a rebuttal. The moderators are simply there to relay the questions and make sure time constraints are enforced.

9. cube macrumors G5

Maybe debate broadcasts should have a real-time fact check ticker underneath.

10. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

It really doesn't matter who calls Trump out during or after the debate. His deplorable supporters aren't interested in the truth and anyone who challenges Trump's lies will only be labelled by his supporters as being in bed with the Clinton campaign. Fortunately, the number of decent good people outnumber his deplorable supporters and don't fall for his nonsense. This election is no longer about policy, it is about human decency.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

I don't think Hillary (or Donald) rebutting something that is supposedly a quote from an email really works during a live debate. It's a he said/she said thing. Unfortunately. It's something that needs to become an article that can provide the research and from a 3rd party. Now you can argue bias - but it's far more effective than one of the candidates, themselves, debunking it.

12. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Or maybe moderators should just moderate.

13. cube macrumors G5

That is orthogonal.

14. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Who is interested in the truth? People love to engage in self-deception.

Look, all politicians seem to lie once in a while, for varying reasons. Some of their supporters will do the same things and be no less deplorable all while pointing a finger at the other camp. Just making sure you understand a basic truth. Which is not the "When I point one finger at you, I accidentally point three at me" - which is another cozy trait people engage in unwittingly, even if they give it a thumbs-up at the time. So maybe there's a bigger issue of forgiveness, which is also a trait of human decency? How can we move forward together, especially to better this country?

15. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

The only deplorable people in this election cycle are the two front runners. Hillary should look in the mirror once in a while.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You know we need more facts in politics and less ******** rhetoric. And that applies to both sides and in every country.

We also need government to do more what the people want and be less nannying. Though sometimes nannying is good.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2016 ---
    And the racist Trump supporters.

17. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

And lying Hillary supporters.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How have Hilary supporters lied?

19. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Please, anyone who tries to equate Hillary's shortcomings to the disgusting things that Trump has done is lying to themselves. Especially, his fake Christian right supporters claiming to be Christians.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Donald Trump, Putin's Bitch

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...-card-b:homepage/story&utm_term=.b14529c05673

21. balamw, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This, to me is the true danger of Wikileaks.

We simply can't know what the true source of the information they "leak" is and it can get distorted so easily by a single round of misquoting/mistranslation.

While some/much of the stuff they have posted may well once have belonged to Podesta, other items may simply be planted in there by sources unknown. How would we ever know for sure?

Not unlike the police planting evidence.

Or Mr. Trump confusing someone (Putin) calling him "flamboyant" to being called "brilliant", "a genius."
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...rump/did-vladimir-putin-call-trump-brilliant/

B