Trump redefines Earth Day?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Apr 22, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, this is a new one on me; check out this new Trump tweet:

Today on Earth Day, we celebrate our beautiful forests, lakes and land. We stand committed to preserving the natural beauty of our nation.​

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...0?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

To my understanding, the point of Earth Day is to "protect the environment", not "celebrate the beauty of the environment". You can preserve the beauty of an object simply by taking photos of it. If you want to keep the environment alive, you've gotta do a little bit more than just appreciate its beauty...

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

by cutting the park service budget no less . Trump the best earth taker carer.

3. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

His daughter must have told him to say something nice today, that it would be good for his "image". And his followers will go "see, he cares sooo much, one more step forward to make the country great again"....

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Trump helped earth today by not eating beans for dinner.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Semantics... though I'm not going to pretend Trump is some environmental champion. Protect the environment vs preserve its beauty sounds pretty similar to me. Destroying the environment often elicits the idea of destruction of natural beauty- contaminated rivers, dead forests, dying wildlife, etc.

6. chown33 macrumors 604

It would have been carbon neutral.*

* But only if they were organic and sustainably produced, otherwise something in the production cycle would have been dependent on fossil fuels or petrochemicals, which are, of course, not carbon neutral.**

** Not to be confused with "carbine neutral", which means you're neither overly enthused nor frightful of AR-15-style semi-auto rifles, or even traditional carbine designs (such as Mini-14).

7. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Honestly, I don't really care about national parks or wild forests. I'm not the kind of guy who enjoys camping.

But I do care about the increasing level of smog where I live. The poisons my neighbors are applying to their lawns that kill both flora and fauna. The way that urban sprawl is continually reducing the greenery and increasing the acreage of pavement.

One of the weird things about growing old is actually experiencing what "sprawl" does to a landscape. About ten years ago, an enormous mall was constructed just about a mile from where I live, on land that was once mostly greenspace. I don't think it was such a bad idea, and it has obviously increased jobs in the region; but seeing a couple of hills turned into acres of buildings and pavement is kinda disconcerting. It's not like new hills of trees and grass were created somewhere else to balance things out; no, we've just removed that much more land from whatever part of the natural cycle it had participated in.

A handful of well-preserved natural "beauty spots" just doesn't cut it. Either the environment as a whole survives, or it does not.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Next up Trump flushes toilet the wrong way.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well ya cause his tiny hands cant reach the lever.

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

He has refined Earth Day. He's turned scientist (of all people) into outdoor marching activist.

Trump is causing America Activism Again.

That's not a criticism. It's one of the things he has done that I like, even if it wasn't planned. Perhaps someone so horrible and so awful was what was needed to kick the complacency out of people and this country.

It's like an addict who has to hit rock bottom before they change. America hit rock bottom with this choice. And now real change can come...after he is gone.

11. Zenithal Suspended

I got to reading an article the other day about former coal workers in Kentucky, I think it was, who decided to up their skills and become web and app developers. Now they do work for large companies in the field who can still keep costs low enough to stay above the water. The best news? They're teaching their brothers and sisters in the field, and are making more money than before.

12. JayMysterio, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017

JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Hey, hey, hey!! :mad: None of that crazy talk!

13. jerwin macrumors 65816

If It's Yellow Let it Mellow. If It's Brown Flush It Down

14. niploteksi macrumors regular

Before you know it people will stop watching youtube and start to read instead :eek:

15. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

No doubt a good story to here but let's be realistic....most will not achieve such things. This isn't just about coal either. The "earth" movement at a greater level seems to be a power and or money grab by the elites. Just be careful what you fall for. Look past the words and dig into the real agenda when it comes to this stuff. Determine what it will really cost and how it will effect you. Check and see who stands to benefit financially from overreaching green initiatives. And, check to see that those doing the "selling" are walking the talk type of thing. Like the classic case where climate change pimps are taking private jets and limos to save the earth meetings. Such crap and hypocritical right there.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The science march is supposed to be non partisan and about awareness (although I'm sure the usually suspects who aren't even in STEM will show up). I'm a member of the planetary society which joined and they wouldn't have if it was a partisan effort.

17. Zenithal Suspended

That's how it works in a lot of fields. Even those that dry up and the people must move on to remain relevant. They could always garrote themselves if they find themselves in the dumps. It'll be easier on the social system not having to pay out.

Initiative is key for human survival. Waiting for handouts from POTUS, regardless of your skin color or your now-gone field of work won't do wonders for you.

18. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I think anything pushed by a group that is massively ideologically unbalanced is inevitably going to be viewed as partisan. The anti Trump signs probably won't help with it.

19. jerwin macrumors 65816

And that's why you and your children must breathe poisonous air, and drink poisoned water-- there are elites who will profit handsomely from your sacrifice.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2017 ---
    It is a partisan matter. Trump has NO interest in science, and seems chiefly interested in destroying the capacity of the US government to use scientific methods and results to discover truths both convenient and inconvenient.

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Big world wide marches on these things would either not have been so big or wouldn't have happened at all if not for Trump winning. That's just reality.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I'd be more worried about congress than Trump when it comes to anti science policies.

22. niploteksi macrumors regular

I agree with both. People aren't marching against Trump or Brexit. They are marching against the voter base for populism and what is perceived as a "post-truth" era.

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Trump himself said climate change was a made up thing by China, and seems rather ignorant on a lot of things in general, so I'll keep worrying about him too.

Without Trump coming along, these protest wouldn't be that big. They just wouldn't. Populism existed before Trump of course, but he was the one that mainstreamed it in a very very big way.

24. niploteksi macrumors regular

I suspect you might be right in that the election of Trump put the torchlight on this issue. "Normal" anti-intellectualism and the likes of Farage, Johnson and Le Pen are possibly too mainstream to really shake things up.

25. jerwin macrumors 65816