Trump runs to Biden’s left on crime (knocks him for ‘94 crime bill)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 27, 2019.

1. Rogifan, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019

Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Is anybody really going to believe Trump is against the 1994 crime bill? Also some of the most conservative senators voted against the criminal justice reform bill so I’m not sure running to Biden’s left on crime will work. It’s certainly not going to get Trump the black vote. The Central Park 5 cancels out the criminal justice reform bill and then some.

[​IMG]

EDIT: ha, just a week or so ago Rudy Giuliani was praising the 1994 crime bill, though he incorrectly states that it was passed by Newt Gingrich. Gingrich wasn’t speaker at the time (Aug 1994) and voted against it. https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/103-1994/h416

[​IMG]

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Then tomorrow. I am not sure Trump understands how twitter/the inter webs work. His tweets these days are a combination of the boy-who-called-wolf and law of diminishing returns...

3. Rogifan, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019

Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Obviously someone told him this bill is controversial on the Left and probably suggested he expose it. I still don’t think it’s going to take black votes away from whomever the D nominee is. But once again Trump shows he’s a terrible poker player. He’s telling the world Biden’s the one he’s afraid of.

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yeah, Trump seems to hope that he'll get credit for the criminal justice reform package, and that will give him the space to attack Biden on the 1994 bill, but I doubt he'll get much from trying to litigate history, and he opens himself up to attacks on his behavior throughout the late '80s and early '90s, including the Central Park 5.

It will be fascinating to see Giuliani shift on this. When it becomes politically convenient, he'll attack the 1994 bill as a Trump apparatchik.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Central Park 5.. Stlll waiting for that apology.

6. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

It’s hard to believe, anyone would pay attention to the Big Fat Liar. However after seeing him get elected, not so hard to believe. :(

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

how many minorities ended up in jail because of democratic bills? some of you refuse to leave the plantation no matter what is shown......

8. pshufd macrumors 6502a

Trump is a nationalist, and, like other nationalists, his views doesn't fit neatly into liberal/conservative buckets. His positions in the 1970s and 1980s were quite liberal for the time and he was ahead of the Democrats on some views and policies. Some of his positions today are pragmatic but he could have run as a Democrat or Republican - he would only have had to change some of his positions.

The European Parliament elections have upended things there as well. I have the suspicion that income inequality is making for strange alliances and common views by traditionally opposed parties. Witness some ideas from Senator Sanders that gel with President Trump.
    --- Post Merged, May 28, 2019 ---
    Republicans and Democrats want law and order. Balancing justice, though, is a very hard problem. And we often don't do a good job at it.

For those unfamiliar with it: https://www.innocenceproject.org/

They are mostly focused on where technology clearly exonerates someone. There are lots of people that don't have the evidence to exonerate them. That prosecutors went after so many people where there was evidence to exonerate them or at least provide reasonable doubt, is startling.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I mean no disrespect, but what the hell is your point?

10. pshufd macrumors 6502a

No point. Just informational.

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

no. Not really.

12. pshufd macrumors 6502a

Are you really a mind-reader?

13. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The problem with Trump is that he has no core values other than what he perceives as benefitting himself. He has always been a crook and a liar. He is a chameleon, who came into politically life as a Republican, despite decades of liberal views. For whatever reason, he has found his niche of convenience among the ignorant, racist, xenophobic suckers who revel in his lies, and I see him taking no moral stands that hurt him, especially financially.

15. pshufd macrumors 6502a

It's the evolution of politicians.

The main point of the election process is to win. That combination of attributes allowed him to win.

16. jeyf macrumors 65816

to some it seems 1994 was just yesterday? it was a looong time ago, in different world.

This says something about todays leaders and the peeps that elected them.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

If that's the evolution of politicians - we're all in serious trouble. Here's hoping Trump is a "blip" in our history and is quickly forgotten other than a cautionary tale.

18. pshufd macrumors 6502a

Please take a look at the European Parliamentary Election results. It's not just the United States.

What do you think of Le Pen > Macron?

19. samcraig macrumors P6

I didn't say anything about any other country. My comment stands.

20. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The simple question is what is the best you can hope for when you hire a conman?

I would describe it as de-evolution of politicians, as a symptom of our culture deterioration, if someone like this can be elected into a leadership, especially the top leadership position. Enough of us trusted this idiot with our National well being, the alarm bells have been ringing, and I do believe or at least hope that the majority have heard and a correction is in the process. Yet, we can look at each other and ask, what the hell happened?

21. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

funny, it thought the point might be Public Service, by those best suited to do so. An anachronism, I know...

22. pshufd macrumors 6502a

I'd suggest looking at the people that voted for him. They were fed up enough with how politicians behaved for decades and just revolted. See also the thread on Huawai. For some reason we didn't care about vast numbers of our own people and they made their voice heard.

Various media outlets did do surveys and interviews on what happened but I doubt that their readers cared about these people.

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

well, the Roman empire was a thing for a long time - the period in which it was a republic was only a sliver.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

see post 21. had Hillary NOT stolen the nomination I would dare say Bernie would be the one at the helm instead of trump :eek::eek::eek: but you guys decided to stay quiet no matter what wikileaks showed so here we are.......

25. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox