Trump said boycott Apple, so I spent a few grands

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sysProgrammer, Feb 24, 2016.

1. sysProgrammer, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

sysProgrammer macrumors member

sysProgrammer

Brand spanking new iMac 4.0GHz/2TB fusion drive/4GB VRAM on video card(huuu huuu so sexy)/8GB of RAM (With 2x16GB on order from macsales.com) = TOTAL 40GB of RAM, and iBeats Studio in legendary Apple white. Am I drinking the kool-aid or what?

Now few questions for you iMac fans - 2TB fusion is up-fronted by 128GB SSD - how is the boot time and disk I/O time?
    What is the best option for remote access from my Trump Proof Mac Book Pro Retina to iMAC?
    Do non-HD videos majorly suck on that super cool 5k display?
    Are beats noise canceling head phones good fit for life of the software engineer who likes music and dislikes nagging?
    Will my GF have to worry about the new toy?

2. Adam552 macrumors 6502

Definitely.

Sorry, I'm too tired to answer any more questions, but this seemed the easiest to answer :)

3. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

You will have 40GB of RAM, but only slots for 32GB (which you will likely only need 16GB anyway). You could have saved some real cash here purchasing an additional 2X4GB sticks or simply getting an additional 2X8gb for a total of 24GB RAM.
    Get a pair of studio monitor headphones with the highest frequency response Something like the Sony 7506s -- though you can get something even higher end.

The resolution of the screen makes no real difference with lower res videos -- but the expanded color palate is really nice. The difference comes when you start looking at higher res stuff on the big screen, it is hard to go back to crap sources.

I'm glad you're not a trump fan, but talking crap about your GF in here (even in jest) puts you in his camp. Buy her a new computer or iPhone to make up for it.

4. sysProgrammer thread starter macrumors member

sysProgrammer

Wut Wut Wut... You don't understand my friend, she broke her iPhone 6 (not a big fan of 6) for the 3rd time. Now this time around she managed to land 2x4 on it, and bend the back plate, so I forked out 300$ to replace the phone. That is when I said - I am getting a new toy. Its impossible to work on 13" Mac Book Pro. These 14k lines Excel sheets take so much memory. And Trump advised me nicely not to spend more money on Apple, therefore I had to go big.

Btw I need a lot of RAM for running VMs (for work) when architecting stuff. My MBP is seriously challenged with all the crap running. I barely have 1GB of RAM spared. On top of that playing Civ5 and D3 is a pain, when you don't have dedicated video card.

I should find out what is the best layout for 2x4GB sticks in combo with 2x16GB sticks. There are 4 slots in the back, and somehow I would like to upfront 16GB to the cores doing most of the work. Someone must have chip bus schemas to know which slot corresponds to which BUS, and what core is marked as core #0 & core #1 where interrupts get handled.

5. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

I stand corrected. If you find out the optimal way to install the RAM, let us know.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://www.hillaryclinton.com

Check here. I understand they know all about network security. :D

7. sysProgrammer thread starter macrumors member

sysProgrammer

8. Larry-K macrumors 68000

That's Huuuuge!!!

9. theNatest macrumors member

theNatest

I moved the 4GB sticks into the empty slots and put my OWC 8GB sticks into the slots originally holding the stock ram.

BANK 0/DIMM 0 - 8GB
    BANK 0/DIMM 1 - 4GB
    BANK 1/DIMM 0 - 8GB
    BANK 1/DIMM 1 - 4GB

Purely speculative to move the stock ram and not just put the new 8GB sticks in the already open slots but hey... I feel good about it ha.

--- Just keep your girlfriend in a different room if she breaks apple toys.

10. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

You actually bought a pair of Beats? I feel sorry for you two.

11. AZRickD macrumors newbie

AZRickD

I just clicked and did the same thing.

Like yours but I dropped the video card down to the 2gig VRAM M395.

Not sure how much RAM I'll upgrade to.

Need to figure out external storage options.

12. sysProgrammer thread starter macrumors member

sysProgrammer

I haven't had time to investigate more closely but I am thinking of filling the current banks with 2x16GB and moving the 2x4 into the open slots.

Does anyone know what would be the best solution to have remote access to my iMac from the macbook pro. This needs to be super restricted, not giving inn to brute force attacks.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 26, 2016 ---
    Just curious why 2GB and not 4 - I know its $$$$ but if you're going to keep it more than 3 years hmmm.
    As Jeremy Clarkson puts it - POWEEEERRRRRR here.

Actually more than once did I burn through 8GB of RAM on my MacBook Pro Retina 13" (which only supports max 8GB of RAM). So I bought iMac, to be able to run virtual machines over wazoooo. Also my current work load demands of me to inspect some Excel sheets from time to time, and do some analytics magic. MicroSoft really needs to tame Excel on Mac. It uses ample processing and RAM. This way I'll have plenty to account for WinHose product inefficiencies.
    Well they were 199$ on GroupOn - the Ibeats studio. Are they bad?

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-beats-by-dr-dre-studio-20-over-ear-headphones-3

13. AZRickD macrumors newbie

AZRickD

Beats are okay if you listen to music with pronounced, boomy bass. I have two sets that are considered mid-range: Sennheiser HD 598, and Audio Technica M-50. Both more neutral and can be listened longer to without fatigue than the Beats.

It was a calculation (and compromise) based on what I figured I'd be using the Vid card for. Simple, short videos and no games. I'm pretty sure it'll be good at least until 2022 when the standard will be a minimum of 32gig of VRAM.

By then, someone will figure out how to upgrade the iMac without futzing it up. ;)

14. sysProgrammer thread starter macrumors member

sysProgrammer

They haven't arrived yet, but I cant wait to take phone calls wirelessly over El Capitan :)
    --- Post Merged, Feb 28, 2016 ---
    O BTW that smacking iMac, is by far the best computer I ever ever ever owned, and I owned some.

15. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

$300 well spent if she did anything with a 2x4. Sounds like a woman worth keeping. And she deserves anything she wants replaced. If you weren't out there with her and assisting her in construction work, then you should promptly be handing over your new iMac. Suspecting the nagging reference is because she's tired of doing all the work.

If you had been helping her move the 2x4, that iPhone might still be fine.

All the above stated with a sense of humor lol.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I opted for the M395 and I'm happy with it, but then I'm not a gamer and I'm a light PS user. I don't think I'm pushing my iMac as hard as others on this site so that M395 is more then enough for me.

17. garysauctions macrumors member

So you're letting Trump dictate what you do!

Very good! :D

Well I guess since Obama is so darned good at selling firearms ..... Trump can sell Apple products! :D

I am using a MID 2011 iMac ..... 27" loaded up for what it was at the time.

Still runs great ...... but thinking it will be my last iMac.

Time to move on to a Mac Pro for me. :D :D :D

18. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I can't think of a single time in life I have ever bought or not bought a product because of a comment a politician made.

That said, enjoy your new toy.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, seems kind of silly to base your purchase decisions on that. I try to base it on needs, but different strokes for different folks :)

20. sysProgrammer thread starter macrumors member

sysProgrammer

I got sick of looking at 13inch screen when working from home. I needed some RAM to host VMs and use more than 8GB. I am not gaming now and I am using 10.5 gig - figure that out. It is so nice and refreshing to be able to look at two windows side by side on 5k screen. This thing is just amazing. BTW Beats Wireless are good choice of headphones if you need some. Quality is plasticky but the sound is much batter than the competition (after you play with the equalizer). Trump came along and said nasty things about Apple and I used the opportunity to make my final decision and drop few Gs.

BTW Obama is in the same boat. The speech he gave about encryption... These politicians are clueless.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2016 ---
    You need laptop too, that laptop is a life savior. I feel naked without my MacBook pro.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2016 ---
    She just got into my office and yelled at me for eating leftovers :-(. Maybe it's time I take her iPhone away.

21. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

The only thing I thought adequate of the Beats was the noise cancelling. I didn't find the audio quality to be that good.

Sennheiser and AKG are generally considered to be better.

22. sysProgrammer thread starter macrumors member

sysProgrammer

Hmm I haven't tried Sennheiser - but the ones I like would be 500$ - is that a little overboard for headphones?

23. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

No, not in my opinion. But I love high end audio.

Most people think Bose is good. Either of those two companies beat the hell out of Bose, badly, at the same price or otherwise. It's night and day.

At a $500 purchase from Sennheiser you will be getting every penny's worth, and getting something that is truly quality. I think it would be a great purchase if budget allows.