Trump says he has a higher IQ than Rex Tillerson

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

How about emotional IQ?

Trump couldn’t beat Larry, Moe, or Curly.

3. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Well Trump did tweet this in 2013:

4. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I have a higher IQ than a T-Rex.:D

Does that count for anything?

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm really curious about this, but

Do Trump people, in their quietest, most innermost, private moments, not stop and say to themselves: This is not the behavior of an adult human being. This is not the way I'd want the assistant manager of the fast food restaurant where my kid works to act. What the heck have we done putting this guy into the most responsible job in the world?

Do Trump people really think that this sort of behavior is impressive to, say, Kim Jong-Un? To Vladimir Putin? Angela Merkel? The Pope? The Secretary General of the UN? Do Trump people think that foreign leaders read Trump's Tweets about his IQ, and immediately think "Uh-oh! We'd better give America a really good deal. Because we don't want to be humiliated by Trump's massive brain..."

Who knows what goes on in the minds of Trump supporters. I don't have them pegged for the sort of people who give a lot of thought to anything. But they obviously see the world in a very different manner than I do.

7. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I woke up to the sound of some sick dramatic organ music coming from my iPad. I followed it to here. Good morning PRSI!

Did Tillerson’s test come back negative or something?

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

9. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

We do see the world very differently than you do.

However, when given the choice between a liberal that wants more of the damaging "free trade deals", more of the clearly unconstitutional "gun control laws", and would fail to enforce our nations immigration laws, simply because "they" wouldn't agree with them, I chose to vote for Trump, not that it's doing me a hell of a lot of good.

In hindsight, Trump has always been a narcissist, he has displayed a clear patten of it for many decades of him being a public figure, tho not a politician. Would I rather someone else be President, yes, but I was given poor choice. I'd rather been given Nikki Haley as my first choice, Rand Paul, Jim Demint, or Mike Pence.

I don't think Trump is dangerous, to anything other than his own agenda, and any of my other choices would likely be able to work with Congress to pass legislation that liberals wound't like, so just think of Trump as my gift to you, as the man seems to be near completely incompetent to help pass legislation that I agree with.

10. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Does IQ include judgement? If not mental illness, I still vote for IPD, impaired personality disorder. Congress, please impeach this menace for the country’s sake.

64986687-1353-4E04-A679-521049C763DE.jpeg

Attached Files:

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, I think reasonable people can disagree on issues such as taxation; abortion; gun control; even foreign trade. Reasonable people have had disagreements on pressing issues throughout the history of our Republic, and very likely will continue to do so as long as it exists.

But I think Trump is dangerous, to an absolutely unprecedented degree, as a modern President. I think people had very real disagreements with some of the policies of all of our Presidents. But I simply cannot think of an individual in the White House that, in the short time available, has done as much outright damage - as a result of his personality and emotional immaturity - as Donald Trump. On issues both large and small, he has failed the most basic test of leadership: which is to do his best to attempt to bring the country together.

Trump is dangerous in Foreign Policy. Not only is he inexperienced, but he acts as if world leaders, friend and foe alike, are participants in a Reality TV series. One can conduct an assertive, strong foreign policy, one sharply at odds with one's predecessors, without resorting to childish Twitter taunts. Trump's foreign policy, such as it is, is dangerously incoherent. By publicly tearing up the Nuclear Accord with Iran, the message he sends to North Korea is that America cannot be trusted. Why should Kim Jong-Un even consider scrapping his nuclear program, as Iran has done, if the lesson from Iran is that America won't honor its end of the bargain? The only logical outcome of the path Trump is taking is either an acceleration of North Korea's nuke program, or a devastating regional war. With a fair chance of nuclear weapons being used by one or both sides. Dangerous to an unprecedented degree.

Trump is dangerous domestically too. Not just the petty, spiteful things like attacking Transgender troops and cancelling millions of women's right to birth control under their employer health insurance. Trump seems determined to stoke racial resentments, pitting his base (white people) against not just millionaire NFL players, but pretty much every other minority in the country. Pardoning Joe Arpaio, for instance, sent a message that not only does the Executive have no respect for the rule of law, but moreover cops who target Hispanics will be singled out for special protection.

You might not have had an ideal choice in 2016. You didn't get to vote for Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio. But you did have the choice of either not voting, or voting for Hillary Clinton. Instead, you voted for a man who poses a very real, clear and present danger to the military, economic, social, and political security of the United States. I think that was a very poor decision, and one that I am all-but certain will turn out to be self-defeating for many of the people who made it. I just pray it does not prove to be devastating to the rest of humanity.

12. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

BIGLEY?

13. 0007776 Suspended

Yet ironically under Trump the NRA has somewhat backtracked on its no restrictions, and has become open to some very basic gun control after the Vegas shooting. If Clinton had been president the NRA would have been for putting bump stocks into every school.

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

15. frank4 macrumors regular

frank4

My guess is the Trump IQ is in the 95 to 105 range. Would not hire him to be my real estate agent, stock broker, fix my car etc, MAYBE would let him mow my lawn.

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

In literature, the good writer knows the maxim: "Show, don't tell." If you want your audience to understand that your protagonist is an accomplished athlete, don't say it. Let the reader get the message via a description of him (or her) in action.

This is especially true if you want to convince the reader that a character is exceptionally intelligent. Don't tell us that your character is a genius. Show her using her intellectual abilities to achieve her goals and solve problems.

Any literary character who walked around boasting about their genius-level IQ or the advanced the degrees they had earned, would appear to most readers as an insufferable buffoon at best. An out-and-out fraud at worst. At any reading-level above the fifth grade or so, astute readers would suspect such a character of being an unreliable narrator.

Such things are probably well beyond the understanding of people like Donald Trump. It's just too bad the rest of us have to endure the RealityTV soap opera of his Presidency.

17. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Yeah, but I'm sure Rex's Dad is bigger than Trump's Dad. Rex's Dad is probably even a policeman.

18. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

He's probably basing his assumption on the time his Dad fixed the results of his last IQ test.

Also, bring it on. Let's see his IQ. I think everyone wants to know.

19. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Yah and I think it's mostly that Rex Tlllerson has been getting a lot of press lately. It's not about whether the press is good or bad, it's just that a high level of attention received by anyone else tends to set Trump off on a tantrum. Those reports that Tillerson had referred to Trump as a moron in a meeting didn't help.

There's a New Yorker piece by Dexter Filkins, a long read in the current issue, that makes quite a few references to Tillerson's relationships with Russians while he was with Exxon, vignettes that make ol' Rex come off as very competent and quite tough, versus how the press generally has Trump playing the fool to Russians. So if Trump actually read that far into the piece, or had some of it pointed out to him by his wife or someone on staff, that has also probably raised Donnie's blood pressure.

The Filkins piece is neither a puff piece or a hit piece, it's typical Dexter Filkins, 12,000 well chosen (and fact checked) words which when you get done reading them, will give you a fair picture of a complex guy. But to Trump I'm sure the problem there is that it's 12,000 words that are not all about Donald Trump, even though he makes a few cameo appearances. Unfortunately none of those is about anyone's IQ except in a tangential sense, i.e., Filkins does cite the alleged remark by Tillerson about Trump's mental prowess.

20. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I don't like Tillerson at all - not one bit. He's a disgusting choice for secretary of state. But what I can say about him is he ran a legitimate big business - Exxon is no joke - and therefore he is probably quite smart. You can rise to the top of a nihilistic little local enterprise like Trump by just being someone's kid, but you can't become CEO of Exxon riding on the coattails of your dad.

Trump, by comparison, has never done anything more complicated than negotiate with a marble countertop supplier when building his condos and been the punchline in a reality tv show.

This fight is a perfect example. Trump is too stupid to realize he shouldn't be starting it.

21. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

If he read the Filkins article, Trump is looking at why he shouldn't have started it. Rex Tillerson is no angel but he's no Donald Trump either, in so many ways... an excerpt below is from that piece I cited earlier:

[Tillerson's] formative experience was in the Boy Scouts. When he was young, his father took a job helping to set up local chapters, and Tillerson eventually became an Eagle Scout, one of an élite class of “servant-leaders” distinguished by obsessive, nerdish attainment. When he was fourteen, and living with his family in Stillwater, Oklahoma, he got a job washing dishes in the kitchen of the student union at Oklahoma State University, for seventy-five cents an hour. On weekends, he picked cotton: “You just show up Saturday morning at 6 A.M., climb into the back of a panel truck with a bunch of other guys, and you drive out to one of the farms and drag a big cotton sack behind you, picking cotton all day long, for a dollar an hour.”

When Tillerson was sixteen, he started sweeping floors at the university’s engineering school, and began thinking about engineering as a career. He got there by an unusual route. Tillerson, who had played drums in his high-school marching band, won a band scholarship to the University of Texas, where he studied civil engineering. Upon graduation, in 1975, he got a job at Exxon as a production engineer.

Exxon has historically been dominated by engineers, who pride themselves on their precise, quantifiable judgments. “Rex is what you would expect to get when you cross a Boy Scout with an engineer—straight and meticulous,” Alex Cranberg, an oil executive who went to college with Tillerson, said. Others described a more pragmatic sensibility, noting that Tillerson’s favorite book is “Atlas Shrugged,” the Ayn Rand novel extolling the virtues of capitalism and individualism. “The thing about Rex is, he’s got this big Texas aw-shucks thing going on,” a Russia expert who knows Tillerson told me. “You think he’s not the smartest guy in the room. He’s not the dominant male. But, after a while, he owns all your assets.”​

22. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

23. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Stephen Hawking: "People who boast about their IQ are losers"

24. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Reading through this thread brought to mind this line from The Jerk:

"Ah yes. I have my temporary driver's license - and - my astronaut application form... I didn't pass that though, I failed everything but the date of birth."

:D

25. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Even better: his dad liked Western movie actors John Wayne and Rex Allen, enough to name his kid after them... but he drove a bread vendor's truck. Everyman's everyman. From Filkin's piece in The New Yorker:

Tillerson, who is sixty-five, was born in Wichita Falls, Texas, near the Oklahoma border, and grew up in a lower-middle-class family that roamed across the two states. He was named for two Hollywood actors famous for playing cowboys: Rex Allen and John Wayne (his middle name is Wayne). “I grew up pretty modest,” he told me. “My dad came back from World War Two and drove a truck selling bread at grocery stores. My mom had three kids—you know, the nineteen-fifties.”​