Trump says he might be willing to keep parts of Obamacare

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AllergyDoc, Nov 11, 2016.

1. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

3. AllergyDoc thread starter macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

We'll see. I think there're be more compromising than people expect. Just read a good article on why it would be better to get Dems involved in dismantling Obamacare rather than shoving it down their throats like the Dems did when it was passed. If it had been passed as a bipartisan effort it might have survived. Like I said, we'll see.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

I think that we might see Trump not deliver on his campaign promises "in tact" once he realizes the work that needs to be done to change/fix/replace things in the system. That's not a knock against Trump - but it's a lot easier to say what is wrong and to say you're going to start from scratch, it's another thing to actually have to go through the process. Especially if you've never done it before.

I think he'll also realize (and I am sure he knows this anyway) that being President is hard... and that his criticisms of those that have served this country - whether it's in the Oval office, congress, etc were often unwarranted. That's not to say things aren't broken. But again - being an outsider, he didn't have insight into the hows and whys. Now he will. And I am sure it will be eye opening.

5. kobalap macrumors 6502

What do we do with the rest of Obama? Is he proposing to dismember his predecessor and discarding the unwanted parts?

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

What parts will he keep? His head? Obama's hands? His tobacco-stained lungs?

And does Michelle know about this?

7. kobalap macrumors 6502

I liked the part where there are no caps on coverage - so people don't go bankrupt just because they became sick.

You add all three of those together, and the federal law that says anyone, regardless of ability to pay, needs to be treated in emergency scenarios, then you have a system that has to have everyone participating for it to be financially viable. Put a different way, a mandate.

Then you are 3/4s of the way to Obamacare.

8. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

That's item 2 in the republican plan which I believe has full support from the house.

Better.gop

9. kobalap macrumors 6502

I hear the Klan is celebrating. I'm wondering if there is some back door agreement that has been worked out as to who gets to keep what.

To be clear, this is all tongue in cheek.

10. AllergyDoc thread starter macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

lol Have no idea how that happened.

Maybe I need a bigger iPad ... :cool:

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Waitaminnit.

Now we can fix Obamacare?

[​IMG]

12. kobalap macrumors 6502

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Yes, well.

As I'm sure you know the entire subject of health insurance is more than a little complicated.

If you prohibit insurance companies from denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions, then you end up with people only buying insurance when they get sick. Which means premiums for everyone else skyrocket. You do understand how that would work, right?

The only way the pre-existing condition prohibition works is if there is some mechanism that incentivizes non-sick people to buy into the system. And the only way that poor people (who get sick at roughly the same rate as everyone else) can buy into the system is if there are subsidies that let people making minimum wage afford the premiums.

You cannot preserve just parts of the ACA. Private health insurance simply does not work that way.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Obamacare is going to be cloned with just another name. And this country of idiots will praise it.

15. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Yep. They will basically implement the adjustments and changes that the DNC has been pushing for, give it another name, and take the credit.

Whatever. It's fine. The DNC did the same thing with RomneyCare before that. That's politics. I don't care who gets credit, as long as we end up with a better system.

16. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Of course he'll be keeping parts of it.

This is a negotiation. Did no one pay attention to the way in which he campaigned?! Did no one pay attention to who was running, or even to the title of his book that he mentioned constantly?

17. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Dibs on trumps coke stained nostrils.

18. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The problem with the Affordable Care Act is it isn't affordable.
    They mandated insurance, but then tied the insurers hands by not letting them grow beyond each state.
    ACA did nothing to control costs on the other end as well. Not allowing the feds to negotiate pricing with pharmaceutical companies is idiotic to say the least. There's a laundry list of reasons why it was destined to fail.
    They based it on the assumption that EVERYONE would participate to offset the costs.

The penalty for not having insurance is cheaper than buying it. So the healthy pay the penalty and the insurers were left with a majority of people taking more than they were brining in.
    So one doesn't need to throw out the whole thing. It just needs a lot more work.

19. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

I would love to be a fly on the wall and see how many times someone explains to him "this is how this works" and have hime say wtf?!? ;) I suspect as a businessman, he will find a lot of it appalling.

20. eatrains macrumors regular

Wow, Trump going back on his campaign promises three days after he was elected. I wonder if his supporters will notice.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

I also suspect that what we heard when he was looking for VPs is true and that he's looking to push off a lot of the real work onto Pence and he prefers to be the "face."

22. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

I think we will have something different that will include privatizing Medicare.

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Great, Another Cheney type of era. :oops:

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Didn't you not pay attention when he said the first then he was gonna do was get rid of Obamacare ?

25. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

They may get rid of it in name, but there are a lot of parts that are good and worth keeping.
    No caps, no denying preexisting, etc.