Trump says he will lower middle class taxes by 10% before Election Day

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Trump said something similar at a rally last week, that congress was going to be passing a middle class tax cut before the election. I have no idea where he’s getting this from unless House Republicans are working on something they will announce after the election and he’s just confused on timing? Even then there’s no way a lame duck Congress will pass anything. Certainly not if Democrats win control of the House. There will be very little legislation happening the rest of this year.

2. JayMysterio, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018

JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

[​IMG]
    That moment when you're president & realize the mid terms are coming, and maybe NOT everyone has been 'winning' as much as you have by being president.

"Uh, I'll give you some of your money back. I don't know how, but you'll get it before you vote. You can trust me, I'm good for it. Ask anybody I've worked with."

3. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Trump is so out of touch, he thinks that the “middle income” earners are those who make $180,000 or more

4. Rogifan, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018

Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Trump seriously thinks a tax cut is happening before the election. Congress isn’t in session yet they’re going to push through a tax cut next week? Unless he means something else by “put in”? Is he on drugs? Also him saying this just gives the impression the tax cut the Republicans did pass wasn’t for the middle class. I’m sure Republicans in Congress love that. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

5. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Who knew trying to sway voters would be so hard???

6. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

He's just using his hero's methods.

7. chown33 macrumors 604

Maybe I'm missing something, but I read "putting in a resolution" to mean "proposing a bill".

Still, if Congress is out, I don't see how that can go anywhere, since Congress itself decides what bills to consider, regardless of anything any President "puts in" or proposes.

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The most interesting thing is that it's a tacit admission that the GOP's big tax cuts didn't help the middle class. Which duh, but still.

Obviously, he's hoping that enough people hear the idea without putting together the idea that their local Congress critter's at a BBQ glad-handing for votes and not in D.C. which means that Congress isn't in session. Now, we can count on most Trump voters not understanding this, but can he rely on independents getting flummoxed by this message?

Or, will the idea that he'll get around to it after the mid-terms—you know right after he deals with the immigration problem he and his two houses of Congress just couldn't get at for two years—help save the party?

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Obviously the vote will happen after Election Day. They will reward the middle class for re-electing them by immediately approving the tax cut. But we have to re-elect them or we will not get it. If they are mad at us for giving them the boot, how can we expect them to do us any favors. Of course, there are a lot of lame ducks who have no stake in it – probably enough to kill it whatever the outcome of the election is.

10. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I’ll take it! As Homer Simpson says regarding doughnuts: "More please!".

:D

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Yes. Yes, you will. :cool:

12. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Watching clips of his rally last night, he's mentioning these imaginary tax cuts and his base is just roaring and cheering. What is "middle class" in his mind? 10%... McConnell is talking about cutting social security benefits and he's making up an imaginary tax cut.

The midterms, then people announcing that they're running for president and dealing with a re-election campaign... its going to be a circus until the head clown is out of office.

13. Thomas Veil, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018

Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Of course this is a cynical promise that Trump is pulling out of his ***. He can’t even keep his lies straight.

If the economy is roaring along like he says it is, and you have a deficit to close, why on Earth would you cut taxes?

It’s a straight-up ploy to buy votes. I just wonder how Congress will deal with being the ones charged with implementing Trump’s latest irresponsible brain fart.

14. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Buying votes? The Dems specialize in that via handouts, freebies, social programs and other BS. But its cool. Thats how politics works, right? ;)

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 6.54.03 AM.png

That's from Judd Legum. Pretty much says it all.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

But wait - I thought Dems were the enemy of this country and only care about illegals ;)

17. raqball macrumors 68000

Their goal is to get people hooked on free, free, free then scare them that (R) will take it away... They don't really have any policies which is obvious since they've spent the past 2 years on resist and obstruct..

I mailed my ballot yesterday and for the 1st time ever I did not vote for a single (D)....

18. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Pander, pander, pander. Who the **** cares about paying our bills, the Party of Fiscal Responsibility? Are you fooled yet? :mad:

19. samcraig macrumors P6

You haven't paid any attention to Trump, his rallies or his twitter feed. The only thing he's doing is invoking fear that D's will take his faux-accomplishments away. Sad.

20. raqball macrumors 68000

I don't follow any politician nor do I watch Trumps rallies... They all lie and they all say what they think their supporters want to hear... I try and find out what their policies actually are and look into their voting record if they have one...

21. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I think there is a CEO who earns $75M/yr, so “middle class” must be about the middle third, which would be $25M~$50M/yr.

22. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

He was stumping for Kevin Brady, and this claim took about 10 seconds of forethought. Trump was like "you know what else? We're going to cut taxes by mmm... say 10% next week. Yeah that's it, 10% next week! Right Kevin?" Who's back there with a look like "no man, please just stop saying that and looking at me at the same time".

Had Trump actually thought about this lie just a little bit, he would've at least planned for this tax cut AFTER the midterms.

23. Solomani, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018

Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

The problem with Donald Trump is diarrhea of the mouth. He's so full of it, the crap eventually has to come out spontaneously. Comes out faster than he can think.

[​IMG]

24. samcraig macrumors P6

So integrity and other character traits are meaningless? It's only about policy? Says a lot.

25. raqball macrumors 68000

I said that? Please quote me as saying so...