Trump says his nuclear button is much bigger and more powerful than North Korea’s

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Jan 2, 2018.

1. turbineseaplane macrumors 68030

Mar 19, 2008
    Normally I'd agree with you, but just your forum post is longer than Don's attention span.
  2. darksithpro macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2016

You really think he's so irrational and incompetent, he would not see it the way I do?
  3. hulugu macrumors 68000

Aug 13, 2003
    the faraway towns
    Yep, I did the same thing. Someone posted that on Facebook and I thought "hahaha, oh holy ****."
  4. fitshaced macrumors 68000

Jul 2, 2011
  5. hulugu macrumors 68000

Aug 13, 2003
    the faraway towns
    A tactical strike against North Korea will lead to a tactical strike against Seoul, a city of nearly 9.8 million. And, that will lead to an all-out war between the two countries of the peninsula, which will of course, draw into the United States, Japan, and possibly China.

We have the weaponry to strike at North Korea, but there's no sense that we have the ability to harm the North Korean leadership significantly. Remember, we tried and failed to decapitate Iraq's leadership, and North Korea has a network of bunkers and tunnel designed to protect its military from South Korean or U.S.-led strikes.

It's a difficult problem.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 2, 2018 ---
    They'd both lose.
  6. darksithpro macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2016
    At what point what do you do? Can you really blame Trump for being a hard core hardliner with a ruthless dictator? KJU treats his people like crap, malnourished and such. You need a strong, firm voice to oppose someone like that. Should we just give in and give KJU billions in financial aid to his elite country club members to shut him up, while the average NK suffer?
  7. LizKat macrumors 68040

Aug 5, 2004
    Catskill Mountains
    Which is why Trump should shut up already and let South Korea and North Korea talk about the Olympics next week and see what else good might come of that.

But no, there must be drama and he's the Drama Queen. He doesn't get all that stuff about the neighbors with nukes or the angst over his pot stirring --SK and Russia and China and Japan all wish he'd shut up at this point, gee they all live there-- or the value of diplomacy vs accidentally triggering conventional war back into gear.

He's just not about any of that. He's decompensating in front of us. He's about Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump trying to hold it together. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a delusional as he is. He can't help himself. He should be helped to resign with dignity but I think that's probably not in the cards.
  8. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    Trumps not a hard liner. He’s just blowing smoke to feed his base and try to look tough with the other world leaders.
  9. hulugu macrumors 68000

Aug 13, 2003
    the faraway towns
    North Korea is an intractable problem and hardline rhetoric isn't going to work. As Mark Bowden pointed out, in his piece "How to Deal with North Korea" there really aren't good solutions, but that doesn't mean that Trump's ridiculous wang measuring is a good idea.
  10. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    I get the argument(s). Yet remind me how many people outside of NK that NK has actually effected and/or killed? This is not Hitler invading Czechoslovakia (or Poland). If the Soviet Union's disintegration in the 90s didn't result in Nuclear weapons in the hands of 3rd parties, what makes you think that would happen with 2018 NK? Isn't that the Elephant in the room?
  11. duffman9000, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

duffman9000 macrumors 68000

Sep 7, 2003
    Orange County
    We don’t give a crap about how he treats his people unless it suits our ends. Stop with the fake outrage.

Listen to your man:
  12. Zenithal macrumors 601

Sep 10, 2009
    Barely three days into the new year and he's already talking about the size of his member. JFC.
  13. juanm macrumors 65816

May 1, 2006
    Fury 161
    He also took credit for the lack of deaths in commercial aviation this past year.
  14. darksithpro macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2016
    Trump is absolutely right on the ball with this. We cannot continue to be the ethical policeman of the world, it's too costly. Meddling in foreign affairs is very dangerous and counter productive to our national security. Karma always bites us in the behind when we meddle in foreign governments. It's always a loose-loose situation in the end game. Instead we should focus on America first, and only help our allies and friends when they truly need us.
  15. bradl macrumors 68040

Jun 16, 2008
    The problem here is that Trump has backed himself into a corner. If he does something, we all die. If he doesn't, he'll lose face with not only his entire base, but the entire world, and we all die.

You're expecting way too much from someone who fights with the size of his johnson than the supposedly infinite size of his brain.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    The right solution is to make the Chinese properly sanction NK. Trump has done good work there. But this will undo some of it.
  17. shinji macrumors 65816

Mar 18, 2007
    Hard to believe this is real life sometimes, and our President is really responding like this.
  18. martint235 macrumors regular

Apr 13, 2016

For the first time in a while, NK and SK are actually going to start talking albeit about sport. It can really do without Trump unnecessarily sticking his oar in
  19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    OBJECTIVE reality
    I was actually going to post both of these together just as you did, because they show just how much of a self-parody this guy has become. It’s like he’s no longer Donald Trump...he’s Donald Trump doing Alec Baldwin doing Donald Trump. :eek:

But the sad humor of this should not mask the fact that this is a guy slipping further into dementia...or whatever the hell it is that’s wrong with him. For the good of our country, cabinet, please please go 25th on this guy. Or are you waiting for a missile launch before you find the stones to do it?
  20. VulchR macrumors 68020

Jun 8, 2009
    I have posted here many times that I believe that NK cannot be allowed to build a nuclear arsenal, for then it will be able to threaten SK with invasion with little fear of retaliation from the US. I therefore believe that the US should inform the PRC that given the PRC's support of NK in the face of US objections over many years, any missile launched from NK will be treated as having been launched from the PRC and retaliation would fall on both NK and the PRC (those PRC artificial land features being the first targets, given they aren't actually on PRC's (or anybody's) soil). I also believe that we should tell Russia that as long as NK poses a threat the US will pull out of the ABM treaty and nuclear disarmament treaties. That might shake things up a bit so that Russia and the PRC start putting actual pressure on NK.

Whatever the merits of my argument, I expected something more nuanced from the US government than 'my button is bigger than yours'.
  21. Arran macrumors 601

Mar 7, 2008
    Atlanta, USA
    Yeah, it was good to read about NK making friendly overtures towards SK. Finally. About time those two worked it out by themselves.

Perhaps Kim Jong Un realized that with Trump playing ‘baby’ all the time, this was his big chance to be seen as the reasonable ‘grown-up’? Claim the moral high-ground (relatively speaking, of course).

Who knows what goes through their minds. It’s all just a game to them.
  22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Feb 2, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    Appeasement is what allowed them to get to this point, Obama didn't stop the nukes and now they are emboldened.

As for sizes of nuclear buttons, the US definitely has a bigger arsenal and capability. NK started this by stating they have a nuclear button on the desk, Trump reminded them that we have one too.