Trump says homelessness in big cities started 2 years ago

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
During an interview with Fox News that aired on Monday, the president appeared to be saying that the problem has been exacerbated in the last two years, though others interpreted his comments to mean that he believed homelessness was a phenomenon that started two years ago.

‘It’s a phenomenon that started two years ago,’ Trump told Tucker Carlson when the Fox News host asked him about ‘major problem with filth’ in cities like New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.

‘It’s disgraceful. I'm going to maybe - I am looking at it very seriously.’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7203481/Trump-slams-Democrats-homelessness-New-York-Los-Angeles-San-Francisco.html

Every time Trump opens his mouth it deserves this:

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Scarsdale, NY
He also complained about Twitter during that interview and how people have trouble following him. It’s amazing some of the things he says.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
He also complained about Twitter during that interview and how people have trouble following him. It’s amazing some of the things he says.
Yeah that one is a head scratcher. Most likely he’s just lying. Or he’s confusing it with Twitter removing bots which no doubt have reduced his follower count.

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Scarsdale, NY
Ok, I looked at the full context. Homelessness was brought up, but he wasn’t referring to that with the “two years ago” thing. He was talking about filth and graffiti in big cities, which is definitely getting worse lately.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Trump's comment about Twitter probably relates to some changes Twitter is making. They're going to be marking certain kinds of presumed "public interest" tweets made by a certain category of user who would
  • Be or represent a government official, be running for public office, or be considered for a government position (i.e., next in line, awaiting confirmation, named successor to an appointed position);
  • Have more than 100,000 followers; and
  • Be verified.
The notice will mask the tweet at first, explain generally why the tweet is masked and ask viewer to confirm desire to read it. Here is their sample:

new Twitter notice sample.jpg

Twitter also in the same announcement indicated that

"there are cases, such as direct threats of violence or calls to commit violence against an individual, that are unlikely to be considered in the public interest."
Presumably that would cover Twitter's potential decision to handle some honcho's essentially bannable tweet in some other way.

Source of this info is at https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topics/company/2019/publicinterest.html

Reactions: Raid

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Trump's comment about Twitter probably relates to some changes Twitter is making. They're going to be marking certain kinds of presumed "public interest" tweets made by a certain category of user who would
  • Be or represent a government official, be running for public office, or be considered for a government position (i.e., next in line, awaiting confirmation, named successor to an appointed position);
  • Have more than 100,000 followers; and
  • Be verified.
The notice will mask the tweet at first, explain generally why the tweet is masked and ask viewer to confirm desire to read it. Here is their sample:

Twitter also in the same announcement indicated that

"there are cases, such as direct threats of violence or calls to commit violence against an individual, that are unlikely to be considered in the public interest."
Presumably that would cover Twitter's potential decision to handle some honcho's essentially bannable tweet in some other way.

Source of this info is at https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topics/company/2019/publicinterest.html
But he’s complained about this for a while now. My guess is someone has him believing he’s being shadow banned or his drop in followers due to bots being removed has him thinking Twitter is making it harder for people to follow him. It’s nonsense but no one is going to press him on it.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
During an interview with Fox News that aired on Monday, the president appeared to be saying that the problem has been exacerbated in the last two years, though others interpreted his comments to mean that he believed homelessness was a phenomenon that started two years ago.

‘It’s a phenomenon that started two years ago,’ Trump told Tucker Carlson when the Fox News host asked him about ‘major problem with filth’ in cities like New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7203481/Trump-slams-Democrats-homelessness-New-York-Los-Angeles-San-Francisco.html

There is no room for interpretation, he's talking of a much larger issue, and he even touches the recent mental health crisis. Here's the full transcript:

The exchange began with Carlson noting, “You come to where we are now, Osaka, or Tokyo, and the cities are clean; there’s no graffiti; there’s no one going to the bathroom on the street; you don’t see junkies … ”

Trump replied, “It’s very nice, isn’t it.”

Carlson pointed out, “It’s very different from our cities.”

Trump agreed, “Yup. Some of our cities.”

Carlson repeated, “Some of our cities. But New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles; they’ve got a major problem with filth.”

Trump said, “It’s very sad. It’s very sad.”

Trump answered:

It's a phenomenon that started two years ago; it’s disgraceful; I’m gonna maybe — and I’m looking at it very seriously— we’re doing some other things, as you probably notice, like some of the very important things we’re doing now; where but we’re looking at it very seriously because you can’t do that. You can’t have what’s happening, where police officers are getting sick just by walking the beat, I mean. They’re getting actually very sick, where people are getting sick; people living there are living in hell, too, although some of them have mental problems where they don’t even know they’re living that way, in fact, perhaps they like living that way. They can’ do that. They cannot ruin our cities.

And you have people who work in those cities; they work in office buildings and to get into the building they have to walk though a scene that nobody would have believed possible three years ago. This is the liberal establishment; this is what I’m fighting. I don’t know if they’re afraid of votes; I don’t know if they really believe that this should be taking place, but it’s a terrible thing that’s taking place and we may be — you know, I had a situation when I first became president, we had certain areas in Washington, D.C. where that was starting to happen. And I ended it very quickly. I said, “You can’t do that. When we have leaders of the world coming in to see the president of the United States and they’re riding down a highway, they can’t be looking at that.”

I really believe that it hurts our country. They can’t be looking at scenes like you see in Los Angeles and San Francisco. San Francisco, I own property in San Francisco so I don’t care except it was so beautiful. And now areas that you used to think as being, really something very special, you take a look at what’s going on with San Francisco and it’s terrible. So we’re looking at it very seriously. We may intercede. We may do something to get that whole thing cleaned up. It’s inappropriate. Now, we have to take the people and do something; we have to do something. And, you know, we’re really not very equipped as a government to be doing that kind of work; that’s not really the kind of work that the government probably should be doing — we’ve never had this in our lives before in our country, and it’s not only those few cities; it’s a couple of other cities."

Carlson interjected, “No, it’s a lot.”

Trump concluded: “At the same time, most of our cities are doing great; but if you look at some of these; they’re usually sanctuary cities; they’re run by very liberal people and the states are run by very liberal people. But the thing that nobody can figure out is, are these governors or mayors, do they really think this is a positive? Do they really think this is okay? Because it’s not. It’s destroying their city and it’s destroying a whole way of life. And it’s not our country; it’s not what our country’s all about.”

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
There is no room for interpretation, he's talking of a much larger issue, and he even touches the recent mental health crisis. Here's the full transcript:

The exchange began with Carlson noting, “You come to where we are now, Osaka, or Tokyo, and the cities are clean; there’s no graffiti; there’s no one going to the bathroom on the street; you don’t see junkies … ”

Carlson repeated, “Some of our cities. But New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles; they’ve got a major problem with filth.”

Trump answered:

It's a phenomenon that started two years ago; it’s disgraceful; I’m gonna maybe — and I’m looking at it very seriously— we’re doing some other things, as you probably notice, like some of the very important things we’re doing now; where but we’re looking at it very seriously because you can’t do that. You can’t have what’s happening, where police officers are getting sick just by walking the beat, I mean. They’re getting actually very sick, where people are getting sick; people living there are living in hell, too, although some of them have mental problems where they don’t even know they’re living that way, in fact, perhaps they like living that way. They can’ do that. They cannot ruin our cities.

And you have people who work in those cities; they work in office buildings and to get into the building they have to walk though a scene that nobody would have believed possible three years ago. This is the liberal establishment; this is what I’m fighting. I don’t know if they’re afraid of votes; I don’t know if they really believe that this should be taking place, but it’s a terrible thing that’s taking place and we may be — you know, I had a situation when I first became president, we had certain areas in Washington, D.C. where that was starting to happen. And I ended it very quickly. I said, “You can’t do that. When we have leaders of the world coming in to see the president of the United States and they’re riding down a highway, they can’t be looking at that.”

I really believe that it hurts our country. They can’t be looking at scenes like you see in Los Angeles and San Francisco. San Francisco, I own property in San Francisco so I don’t care except it was so beautiful. And now areas that you used to think as being, really something very special, you take a look at what’s going on with San Francisco and it’s terrible. So we’re looking at it very seriously. We may intercede. We may do something to get that whole thing cleaned up. It’s inappropriate. Now, we have to take the people and do something; we have to do something. And, you know, we’re really not very equipped as a government to be doing that kind of work; that’s not really the kind of work that the government probably should be doing — we’ve never had this in our lives before in our country, and it’s not only those few cities; it’s a couple of other cities."

Trump concluded: “At the same time, most of our cities are doing great; but if you look at some of these; they’re usually sanctuary cities; they’re run by very liberal people and the states are run by very liberal people. But the thing that nobody can figure out is, are these governors or mayors, do they really think this is a positive? Do they really think this is okay? Because it’s not. It’s destroying their city and it’s destroying a whole way of life. And it’s not our country; it’s not what our country’s all about.”
I am completely unaware of NY police officers getting sick while doing their patrols.

Also, the homelessness thing in DC started correcting itself the year before 45 took office.

Reactions: gymratjudy

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Sooooo... he was exaggerating again?
I honestly don't think he's exaggerating, some cities and some neighborhoods are quite bad. I try to avoid Dallas as much as I can for example, and it's not even the worst. Honestly it's a series of problems (filthy neighborhoods, bad schooling, mental health, cops' mental health etc.) that have to be discussed and that we, as a society, have diminished and set aside for way too long.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
Well it's certainly not getting any better mainly because the people who run these cities think it's all about jobs and housing costs.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I honestly don't think he's exaggerating, some cities and some neighborhoods are quite bad. I try to avoid Dallas as much as I can for example, and it's not even the worst. Honestly it's a series of problems (filthy neighborhoods, bad schooling, mental health, cops' mental health etc.) that have to be discussed and that we, as a society, have diminished and set aside for way too long.
Either this is true or not, otherwise it is exaggerating.
You can’t have what’s happening, where police officers are getting sick just by walking the beat, I mean.
All other stuff is interpretations of what he didn't say.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005

Trump answered:

"Trump says homelessness in big cities started 2 years ago"

@Rogifan is there any particular reason why you titled this post with something he never said?

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
If you look at the spike in illegals crossing the border over the last 2 years... might there be a connection?

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

That seems to a frequent look for Carlson.
[doublepost=1562164004][/doublepost]
"Trump says homelessness in big cities started 2 years ago"

@Rogifan is there any particular reason why you titled this post with something he never said?
Open to interpretation: It’s a phenomenon that started two years ago,’ Trump told Tucker Carlson.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
His bigger point is the cities in where the problem is regressing, people shooting up drugs and crapping in the streets are by and large run by democrats. There is zero push to enforce vagrancy laws in these cities for fear of looking mean or being attacked by the ACLU. In that he's correct, it's hard to argue against it. NYC under Guliani (say what you want about the dumb ass) and NYC under DeBlasio are very different looking from a homeless perspective. LA is a cesspool that is on the verge of a plague if they don't get the homeless camps under control if not eliminated.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Speaking of homeless people. I saw an officer picking up a homeless person this morning. This city is well known for picking up homeless people off the streets and dropping them off in the city next door. Depending on whom is looking at this it could be viewed as good or bad. Sad either way though :(

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
Speaking of homeless people. I saw an officer picking up a homeless person this morning. This city is well known for picking up homeless people off the streets and dropping them off in the city next door. Depending on whom is looking at this it could be viewed as good or bad. Sad either way though :(
You can't fix something when you're unwilling to acknowledge what factors are causing the problem.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
What else is he talking about?
Again, the actual transcript has already been posted in this thread. Here's an excerpt of that specific moment:

The exchange began with Carlson noting, “You come to where we are now, Osaka, or Tokyo, and the cities are clean; there’s no graffiti; there’s no one going to the bathroom on the street; you don’t see junkies …

Trump answered:

There's no need to make up lies for headlines. The actual context and quote is freely available.