Trump Says Same-Sex Marriage Is 'Settled' Law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacAndMic, Nov 14, 2016.

1. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Link
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gop-...-trump-sex-marriage-settled/story?id=43513067

The other side probably thinks this is a walk back....Exactly as campaigned if you took the time to listen to him.

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The problem I have with that statement is that it doesn't jive with his statement on Roe v Wade. Which is it Donald, it's settled or it's States Rights?

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

4. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

5. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

I don't think that Donald has ever specifically talked about gay marriage as part of his campaign, so I wouldn't necessarily call this a setback or a shocker. For better or for worse, gay marriage was ruled legal by the supreme court and I don't really think that that can be changed.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You stand with Trump in the bathroom? Watch out I hear he cops a feel.

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Man rule dictates that as long as there are more than 3 urinals and only one is occupied you must go to the furthest urinal from the person already in place.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

I think - and I might be completely off - that the two issues are quite different.
    Gay Marriage: states have no right under equal opportunity, Feds have full limitation rights.
    RvW: states have full rights, Feds have no limitation rights.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you read the constitution with an open mind but understanding of legal documents same sex is obvious but Roe vs Wade is more than a bit of a stretch. Overturning it would be the right thing to do.

10. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

If there are less than 3 urinals, reddit rules dictate that the first person to pee on the other asserts dominance and wins the use of the urinal.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Why is anyone shocked, didn't he come out and say Caitlynn Jenner can use what ever bathroom he/she wanted in his buildings?

12. samcraig macrumors P6

If you think Marriage Equality is off the table for this administration, you're naive.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

I don't think there is any way - bar a constitutional amendment - that the current application of the law will change whatsoever.

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

So that's why that guy went on my boots the other day. Here I thought it was just splatter./sarcasm
    --- Post Merged, Nov 14, 2016 ---
    I wouldn't mind see all marriage on the table. Say all States must recognize marriage, but shall pass no law/benefit in favor of it.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

True, however I did see this conjecture

Trump could try to reverse some Obama administration rulings that favored same-sex couples on issues such as federal benefits. He hasn’t suggested that he would. And if he did, his decisions could be challenged in court.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-executive-power-20161110-htmlstory.html

Some also say that when/if a gay couple challenges any changes, it could open up the entire law to challenged/re-written. Not sure that's accurate though.

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

As it should be.

There's going to be a whole lot of messes to clean up if somehow it ever got kicked back to the states.

17. MacAndMic thread starter macrumors 6502

You are referencing an older article (though not that old and may have created the reason for an answer from Trump). His word is his word, it's law, end of story. As for questioning if he campaigned it, he did, you just didn't listen to him if you were not a supporter, you listened to the other side.

As for RvW. It has always been his position to kick it back down to the states if over-turned, he is doing what he said he would do. I call this an incredible win for liberals.....though there should never have been a question in the first place if they just listened to him.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Personally I am pro choice - that's not the same as pro life or pro abortion. That being said - I would prefer to not have a woman who wants or needs to have an abortion have to cross several state lines to where it was legal. That's a huge step backwards, and I fear would lead to illegal and/or "home" abortions.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think you're jumping the gun a little there.

RvW has had over 40 years for states to find ways to carve out limitations and restrictions. Gay marriage, having been just found constitutional, hasn't had the time for states to find edges to nibble on. But given enough time, I suspect there will be areas where states can exert some degree control, if they so desire.

20. Meister Suspended

Meister

Nobody gives a **** about social issues.

Thank god for emperor Trump!
    The return of sanity!

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If there are only two urinals, you suddenly become concerned about your hair, fixing it until coincidentally, the person leaves.

22. MacAndMic thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree with your thoughts exactly but in the worse case scenario, if it were over-turned, there is still a solution to be had. And that IF is a huge IF. I don't believe it is ever going to happen and it is a very slimy campaign issue brought up by media every election.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Except for blacks, women, Latinos, BDSM practitioners, homosexuals, polygamous people etc etc.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What does that solution look like? Is that the state-by-state method?

As bad as that would be, and as much as I see it as an example of unequal justice, it would still be preferable over an outright ban.

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

That is a good observation; I truly have no idea of what will happen and I don't want to put my "Macrumors University Constitutional Law Degree" to test...