Trump says women who have abortions should be punished

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Mar 30, 2016.

1. MadeTheSwitch, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Just a few minutes ago while at a MSNBC taping for Chris Matthews, Trump said that abortions should be banned and women who have abortions should be punished. He refused to say just what form that punishment should take saying "I don't know" and that it is "a complicated" issue.

Yeah, that ought to go over big with a lot of women voters. He is not having a good week this week.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...bortion-ban-should-carry-punishment-for-women

Video clip: http://dailycaller.com/2016/03/30/trump-some-form-of-punishment-for-women-who-get-abortions-video/

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

His negatives may reach 80% after this. It's painfully obvious that he says what he thinks is popular opinion and has given the issues little to no real thought.

Cruz up by 10 points in Wisconsin. He is not having a good week.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And to top that off, Trump backed off his previous statements at the first Republican Debate to support whoever the nominee may be if he is not the nominee.

http://www.npr.org/2016/03/30/47239...eversed-his-pledge-to-support-the-gop-nominee

So expect Trump to play sore loser if he doesn't win the nomination, and go 3rd party against whoever the Reds nominate. Thus, more visible faults in the schism that is in the Republican party.

Trump definitely is not having a good week.

BL.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

We can do this right after we punish "businessmen" who run their businesses into bankruptcy.

5. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Trump play stupid games win stupid prizes. the guy has no filter on his mouth. I wonder how many mistresses of his have had abortions? trump the great christian.

6. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

I stand by my long-time belief that he doesn't want the nomination. He's going to create an issue - and perhaps this is it, because it's now do or die time if he wants to be king-maker - and use it as an excuse to step aside and throw his weight behind someone. The abortion bridge is the last bridge to burn. This may create the smoke he wants to exit.

7. dec. Suspended

dec.

Did he actually say that abortions should be banned or was this just another one of his usual idiot-feeding rhetorics: stating the obvious ("If abortions were illegal, those that have one should be punished") and trying to make some implications without making any statement (to which he could be held accountable at a later point) on the topic at all? ("I don't know, I don't know...")

8. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

Not trying to overly defend Trump, but the clip is trying to manipulate his words. What the video cut out was the part where this was a hypothetical scenario where abortions were to be outlawed. What he's saying is that if abortions were illegal there would be a punishment for breaking the law. This is nothing out of the ordinary.

9. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes. Prior to the clip I posted, that is what he said. Though I am sure he will backpedal and say he meant it the way you framed it. But too late......he has just written the script for a new attack ad against him. Donald is not having a good week. :)
    --- Post Merged, Mar 30, 2016 ---
    Hypothetical? No. That is what is misleading. He says he wants to ban abortions and then the women should be punished. Yeah, let's fill up our prisons with women who wanted abortions. Because that strategy has worked so well in the drug war.

10. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

Read the first paragraph of the Bloomberg article you posted.

11. Robisan macrumors 6502

Which he is for. If B follows A and he's for A, then he is for B too.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

13. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

Again, I'm not a Trump supporter, but making abortion illegal is a regular Republican candidate's position. This isn't controversial for a Republican.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Remains to be seen. But since he said it, the damage is already done.

And while one could call this a gaffe (read: Biden), one really can't tell because of how extreme and shock-factor Trump has been throughout his entire run.

BL.

15. Robisan macrumors 6502

Please, please, PLEASE somebody ask Ted Cruz to respond to this question!

...I swear I should've bought popcorn futures.
    Punishing women is. The company line is only the providers should be penalized. Abortion providers = Bad! Women = 50% of voters!

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just posted in another thread that I think he wants out. I don't think he ever thought it would get this far. He thought it would be good for him and his brand but it's backfired.
    And his campaign just released a statement walking it back.

17. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

18. Robisan macrumors 6502

By all means let's give this guy the controls to the nuclear codes.

19. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Since then he's flip-flopped. On this and the H1B issue, one could quickly become dizzy. Is he trying to derail his own campaign??

Maybe he means women should have to raise the kid, which would be more than punishment enough, especially wit h the sorts of jibes and attitudes many "pro-lifers" give the post-born...

20. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I think that's his whole strategy. Get the voters so dizzy that they don't even know what they are voting for because he is on both sides of every issue!

21. sim667 macrumors 65816

He's probably trying to win more of the hard line Christian vote.

22. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

if they fall for the Donald then it really shows gullibility.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If they weren't gullible they wouldn't be "hard line Christians"

24. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Why the fainting couch? Trump will never be president.

25. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Good for him.

Abortion is the greatest evil the world has ever seen.