Trump, seeking GOP unity, has tense meeting with Senate Republicans

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jul 7, 2016.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This guy is soooooooooo unqualified to serve. He can't even get any name Republicans to speak at the convention.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...able-main_trump-caphill-1035am:homepage/story

2. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Yes, because surely a person who is already critical of your attitude will be swayed to your side if you threaten them.:rolleyes:

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

God knows I have my disagreements with Senator Flake's view of how things should be, but good on him for calling Trump out on that remark about Senator McCain.

However, the flashback to that remark in 2015 reminds me that that was when I began to realize I did not know my fellow Americans as well as I had thought. I thought Trump's crack that McCain was "a war hero because he was captured" and Trump liking people who weren't captured, was going to be the end of Donald Trump's foray into the 2016 race. I was so wrong on that guess, and I have not liked getting to know more about the views and behavior of some of Trump's supporters since then.

And as for this:

Trump said at the meeting that he has yet to attack Flake hard but threatened to begin doing so. Flake stood up to Trump by urging him to stop attacking Mexicans. Trump predicted that Flake would lose his reelection, at which point Flake informed Trump that he was not on the ballot this year, the sources said.
    Well I think @APlotdevice got the response to that about right. There's nothing like burning your bridges in the Senate before you need them, eh Donald? He's like Ted Cruz but without the smarts or ideology. A zero.

Sometimes I feel like Trump is going to bail before he gets booted. Or else he's about to crack up.

On the pragmatics of Arizona senatorial contests, Flake kows his own electorate. Trump often seems a jump behind when it comes to ad hoc debates. This for a guy who prides himself on great memory, great mind, whatever.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Actually not true. Today he got Cruz lined up to speak. Now, why Cruz would want to attend an event for someone who said horrible things about his wife and father is another matter entirely. I will be interested to hear what he says at the convention.

5. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It was true at the time I wrote it. :D

6. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Trump sure tweaks a nerve with some people...

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

One question:

Why? What's up with the rest of the party? Has Trump said why? How come more Republicans seem to perk up to him as opposed to what everyone else called "clown car occupants"?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 7, 2016 ---
    It's part of a show. I've a theory... or three. Maybe a fourth, but that one is definitely tinfoil hat fodder. They all makes no real difference. But for the first time in a long time, the debates will be worth watching.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yes he surely does. I put a quarter in the curse jar for the food pantry every time I lose my cool and I can say that food pantry's budget will be looking mighty flush by summer's end if the Orange Turnip is still in the game.

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

"I'm the other Senator, the one that didn't get captured." That's pure Gold right there.

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yah I gotta hand it to Flake, that was rich. He must have been waiting for the chance to dish that out.

Having watched Cruz for awhile, we should know there is an angle in there for himself, big time. But hey, the chance to become Trump's Cheney, why not. If I were Trump I'd vet my food tasters though.

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Cruz was a serious, intellectual, candidate. Trump is blathering idiot. I doubt Cruz wants anything to do with Trump. If anything, Trump wins, the best place for Cruz would be SCOTUS. I know not many will agree on that.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah I don't think Cruz wants to to run with Trump, I think he wants to succeed Trump though. The chance of Trump making it through an entire first term if he's elected is about 7 to 14 percent I'd say. He'll flip out or get impeached or something.

Do you see him actually wanting this job with all its tedium? I think GWBush hated it. Obama's very disciplined about it but it has worn him down too despite all you guys' cracks about his golfing. It's a killer job, it ages all of them and Trump is already old and not especially (?!) self-disciplined. Cruz is young enough to deal with it, and more disciplined. I myself would not like to see him in the White House, ever, but at least he could suit up and show up. Trump, I dunno. I have serious doubts.

Or maybe with Cruz there's an under-the-radar development with convention delegates that the msm and Trump himself haven't really got clue one about. Something recent, something predicated on "if HRC is not indicted, and we're not having great luck keeping Trump on the rails here, then... plan B..." After all, Cruz is on the ballots in all states, right?

Maybe it's some quiet deal like Cruz gets to speak about the platform of the party since Trump doesn't know what that platform is. Trump would probably like that since he hates getting caught out on details. Then Cruz and some other Cruz supporters unveil the big surprise which is that the delegates switch to him after his splendid speech that is nominally in support of Trump and otherwise resoundingly in support of the right wing of the party. Or maybe Trump's gonna be indicted, 'tis the seaon to indict prez candidates. :)

As for Cruz on the Supreme Court, oy vey. Well, he'd not be anyone's David Souter, we know that. Scalia on steroids, and probably not as much fun as a dinner companion for Justice Ginsberg.

13. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Ginsberg needs entertained to stay awake.
    [​IMG]

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

^^ That's a weary meme by now isn't it? Anyway she enjoyed evenings with Scalia. Evening with Cruz? Hmm. He's so brusque and literal minded. Scalia would talk about opera and stuff. I can see Cruz relating tales of his prowess in the Senate and how he practically had the House cowering under their desks, etc. And I can Ginsberg snoozing through any such egotistical narrations.

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

But yet, he is having something to do with Trump. A person that truly didn't want anything to do with Trump wouldn't be accepting an invitation to speak.

Unless Cruz things all the Never Trump and unbound types are going to actually cause a successful upset at the convention where he will be at to accept their nomination. :D

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Perhaps he's already running for the nomination in 2020 and this will give him a chance to do some campaigning for himself. There do seem to be a number of republican politicians who think Trump is a clear loser and have started positioning themselves for the next election.

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

When I look again at the Vanity Fair chat w/ Senator Flake, I'm struck by how clearly GOP-issues-oriented his devastating remarks about Trump are, and how perfectly and calmly aware Jeff Flake seems to be of that. This is a guy who, no matter what happens to Trump's candidacy, is pretty much calling out a large number of his own peers in the GOP for looking at Trump and not seeing an "emperor with no clothes on".

Of course Flake's not up for re-election this season... :D

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Wow. I hadn't read about Carl Paladino's deleted tweet regarding Loretta Lynch. What a piece of work. "Was a mistake" seems to be the second half of tweeted slurs these days... although this tweet was way past being "merely" a slur.

Paladino, a Trump supporter from upstate New York, has run for governor of NY in the past. This might have amused Trump fans but it won't help Paladino's own political future if he still thinks to have one.