Trump should stop tweeting for the sake of the country?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Jun 7, 2017.

?

Should Trump stop tweeting?

1. Yes

70.6%
  2. No

29.4%
  1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Curious where people stand on this left and right. I don't want to influence the vote right off the bat with my comments.

2. samiwas macrumors 65816

Tweeting every now and then about something is fine, and almost encouraged. However, Trump has taken to tweeting in the same way a drunk, homeless guy stands on the corner and yells at clouds.

3. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I only hear about them on here.

Actually, good or bad, the Trump experience is teaching Americans about elections, politics, their hypocrisy and limits of reason.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be teaching Trump anything. Like how not to sabotage his own travel ban.

5. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

The problem is not Twitter. That is only one of any number of communication mechanisms available to the president (or anyone else for that matter).

Perhaps it would be better for the sake of the country to lock Trump away somewhere quiet, and get some adults in to run the country. Short of that however, Trump is going to continue to be Trump, with or without Twitter.

6. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

[​IMG]

Yes, he should stop.

7. Scepticalscribe, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Other leaders - and public figures - tweet, and are able to write articulate intelligent - and relevant - material within the constraints of the format of 140 characters and still sound reasonably statesmanlike and grammatical and sane.

Not so Mr Trump.

So, to my mind, the issue is not so much that Mr Trump tweets, rather, it is how and why he he tweets.

His tone on Twitter ranges from that of the schoolyard bully, full of bluster and shouted threats, to tweets that are the equivalent of a thwarted small child's temper tantrum. Then, there are the self-pitying whinging whiny tweets, the narcissistic ones, and the tweets that are little more than excuses for nasty and petty insults for which his capacity and appetite appear bottomless.

The other issue, of course, is why he tweets. He tweets whenever he is in need of attention, is unusually enraged and frustrated (lack of impulse control and a downright nasty temper) and/or when he has experienced an unexpected set-back and feels the need to lash out.

8. samiwas macrumors 65816

That pic was exactly my inspiration.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

o_O They're mentioned all the time by a wide variety of news outlets.

10. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I don't know that I agree or disagree with that point.

I expected the majority of my interest in politics was going to end in November 2016 with Hillary winning or losing. But I totally underestimated the entertainment value of the left's reaction over her loss.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

With my point - or my example.

The issue with the ban is that it was called a ban. Trump's surrogates explained it was not a ban. Trump then tweeted it was a ban. Spicer then stated that Trump's tweets are official statements from the President.

Your mistake is thinking that the left is reacting to Hillary's loss still. I am sure SOME are. But most of the country - left and right are now concentrating on the one who was elected. As it should be.

12. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Other than glancing at headlines or hearing brief snippets of news in the radio I don't pay close attention to the day to day news. I research news items that interest me. I'll research a variety of outlets once I see something of interest on here to get a balanced perspective.

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

14. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Oh no. Much of the left's hysterical reaction to Trump is fed by her loss (the democratic nomination, not just Hillary) and the realization they aren't getting their way. The losing nominee being Hillary is just, well, icing to me.

This childish reaction in the news stories, on campuses, and the absence of rational thought and reason posted on websites is entertaining. The tantrums and holding of breaths has been a bit surprising actually.

15. niploteksi macrumors regular

Better to let him tweet and expose himself for what he is, lest people forget the debates.

16. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Someone needs to convince him to stop tweeting.

I don't agree with others here saying that tweeting in and of itself isn't the issue. For Trump, for whatever reason, his tweets are definitely the problem.

He says a lot of dumb stuff, but his most ridiculous statements can all be found on Twitter. Twitter just seems to bring out the worst in him.

But he'll never see it that way, so someone in his circle who actually cares about his presidency needs to be a hero and put an end to this.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

I disagree. But maybe it's because you're not paying closer attention to the news. From any/all sources. Or talking to people of varying political leanings.

I do not discount some people who are still reeling from the election. However most of what I see and those I talk to don't give a crap about the election. That's the past. The present and future is what's important - so that means paying close attention to POTUS.

Sidenote: POTUS is someone you are referring to though. A man who still feels the need to pass out an electoral college map at meetings is compensating for his shortcomings. There's really no debate there. It's both sad and pathetic.

18. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I consider myself a conservative and I was, at the same time, relieved that Hillary lost and mortified that Trump won.

I imagine that people on the left are also capable of reacting to both of those realities independently of each other.

19. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

My issue is with Trump tweets is, he uses it to spread negativity about others. This what teenage girls and celebrities do. Not a man that is supposed to be running the United States. How does he even have time to tweet this much?

20. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I've gotta disagree. Trump has made many, many ridiculous statements in many different forums; from advocating violence at his own rallies, to undercutting his own subordinates in practically every interview he gives (I'm thinking specifically of admitting he fired Comey because of the "Russia thing", but there are many more situations), to pissing off our allies when he meets with them (deleting the article 5 mention from his NATO speech being one of the most recent egregious situations).

I think my favorite Trump quote has got to be from that Fox town hall interview. Compared to his extemporaneous speech, his tweets are actually comprehensible! Forcing him to condense his thoughts into 140 characters actually increases this man's lucidity.

21. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

Its not so much Hilary lost, but that Trump won. Hilary definitely wasn't my first choice, but she would have been a hell of lot better than Trump.

Our country is worse off since he's been elected. Our country has become split and extremely divisive.

Trumps tweeting doesn't help when many of his tweets are negative.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

President Trump's tweets are a gift to the country. The more voluntary self illumination through tweets the better, because the sooner he'll be on his way back to fleecing real estate customers. :rolleyes: :oops:

23. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I also think he should stop or slow down the tweets ALOT or at least have someone okaying them on the way out. Even if you were a CEO you wouldn't be tweeting this much and reacting to so many things at once in a 140 character medium. He also seems to be stepping on his own administration, and it's hard for them to work autonomously with him tweeting out like this.

24. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

You could be right. The problems I see it is that you have to scour the internet to piece together all of his non-Twitter missteps. On Twitter, his statements are all in one place, in chronological order so the goofy ones are easy to find.

As President, he can't avoid speaking and giving statements to the public, but he can/should be using his discretion to select platforms that benefit him. Tweeting random thoughts in the middle of the night isn't beneficial to him or his administration.

25. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove