Trump Skipping Debate Because He's Scared of Megyn Kelly

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zioxide, Jan 26, 2016.

1. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

MARSHALLTOWN, Iowa — Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump abruptly announced here Tuesday that he would not participate in Thursday’s scheduled debate, escalating his off-and-on feud with the Fox News Channel and throwing the GOP campaign into turmoil.

Trump’s assertion, which his campaign manager insisted was irreversible, came less than one week before the kick-off Iowa caucuses, once again defying the conventional rules of politics and using his power and prominence to shape the campaign agenda and conversation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...fa0b2e-c490-11e5-a4aa-f25866ba0dc6_story.html

Trump can't even handle a reporter and he thinks he can be President?

2. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Actually it makes sense. Not only does this stunt continue his non-stop media coverage blitz, but it also means that fewer people are going to tune in to the debate. Hurting his opponents and Fox News.

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

It will still probably outpace the viewership of any of the DNC debates.

4. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

The ugliness he anticipated from Fox is already happening and Fox is already looking the fool and in damage control right now. The uninformed will say wah Meghan Kelly but Trumps stance is because Fox across the board has been railroading him lately.

This is quite a bold statement and I say Bravo! This is the only thing media will talk about until Iowa. In the interim, the other candidates will get little coverage and Trump will enjoy the continued coverage he has received from CNN.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Smart move. He is making the, play by HIS rules. The GOP does not want him.

6. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

It's about time the Republicans had a populist candidate. It makes them more appealing TBQH. It's too bad the establishment doesn't get that.

7. Jess13, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016

Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton: The biggest and fakest cowards in the race.

8. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

I'm no Trumpo fan, but I think it's a smart move on his part.

Trump has already been to several televised debates. It's not like he needs to show up to another one. All of America already knows how he acts and how he performs in these debates. So another one will make no difference.

And like every prior debate, the Network as well as his rival candidates always make it a point to make Trump the punching bag. So he has zero impetus to attend another one.

Secondly…. the blame lies with FOX News. They are clearly biased and playing favorites, even though they claim to be "fair and balanced". Again I don't like Donald, but I admire the fact that he is sucker punching FOX News in the gut. Donald is openly slapping the Network in the face and there is nothing they can do about it.

9. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I agree with his move. He'll get as much coverage from not going than if he would. He plays by his rules and is basically showing he's not in need of the Media.

10. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Trump is not a populist. He's a egotistical billionaire who will say and do anything to get attention.

11. 1458279 Suspended

He's doing a few things right now. He's beating the snot out of the mainstream media. He's doing this to show who's the boss. Trump OWNS the ratings and this is ALL the power any media has. He OWNS them and they know it.

He has to smash the media and the 'PC' culture in order to win. It's part of his plan, he gets whatever media time he wants. Look at the face time he gets. If he ties his shoes, it's a headline.

This is a win-win for Trump. If Fox backs down, he's the winner. If Fox doesn't back down, they'll have fewer viewers that any of the others, Trump is then the winner. He wins either way. If he really wanted to screw with them, he could do a huuuuuge media announcement right at the start and just ramble on during prime time on another network.

Trump's proving who has the power and that he knows how to use it.

12. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

Leaning to this really. Hear the claim he's not a politician. Its becoming a selling point with him actually. Not like proper politicians have been doing better in recent times really.

Trump saw a situation that would probably end up bad no matter what he did. As we could predict baited questions to lure out some soundbites Fox would love. And if he avoided said traps...Fox would reach to find something to pull a soundbite from or pan off make someone else look better.

So he opted to avoid it. Some call that tactics. Damned if you, damned if you don't. Given this, don't wasn't a bad option at first glance. Call it a political bi-week to use the sports term. Like a bi-week it can hurt or help. Rest up as it were or the rest lost some edge. Time will tell. Style points for determining how he will progress given though. ballsy move really.

13. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

well it won't keep working he shot his load and now he will be dry. try it again and it will fail. He sure can't avoid the real debates.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

The real debate. Might not be stacked against him as these are :D

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The Trump implosion begins. Now Fox News claims Trump's people actually threatened Megyn Kelley. He'll be out of the race in a week or so. Bad news for Hillary; great news for Marco Rubio.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Source please

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

#BREAKING: "We can’t give in to terrorizations toward any of our employees," Fox News said in a statement accusing Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski of threatening Megyn Kelly.

That's from The Hill's FB feed. I don't know how to get a link for it.

EDIT: https://www.facebook.com/TheHill/posts/10153487258924087

(I'm on an iPhone. )

18. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Already announced. Trump already said that he will be hosting some kind of "Wounded Warriors" charity event at the exact same time as the GOP debate. Donald really knows how to slap FOX Network in the face. :p

19. 1458279 Suspended

HA! Poke in the eye. Now just wait for the viewer numbers on Fox, so he can brag about how he dropped their numbers. The numbers were going to be lower because we've already seen several of them, so he wins all the way around.

20. Meister Suspended

Meister

You and other posters have been saying this every time Trump is mentioned. Even before he announced that he will run for president.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 26, 2016 ---
    [​IMG]

21. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

I think they were banking on other candidates not sucking as bad to make this happen. If fluff and no substance trump in theory should have imploded, yes. Just some skilled work by a decent opposing runner should have just turned this into a for sure suicide run politically speaking.

this hasn't happened. Which means 1 of 2 things. Trump is actually not fluff and something is there....or if he is fluff, its really sad none of the others can debunk him for this to where he is truly done. either way not good for the trump haters. Former implies they were wrong. Latter implies its a sad state to the GOP where proper politicians can't out do a noob to the scene really.

This tends to make them upset imo. I'd be too. the pro's I was backing on let me down...if asked if you mad? I'd say well....yes.

22. Meister Suspended

Meister

Posters on here have been badmouthing Trump since before he ever ran.

Trump has more substance than most other candidates.

23. Thomas Veil, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016

Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This may be the only time you ever hear me say these words but...I loves me some Fox "News":

LOL!

Trump is being treated so unfairly! Somebody call the waaah-mbulance! :rolleyes:

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Good for Trump.

Smart move all around, and bad news for Fox.