Trump slams EU as protectionist, talks up trade deal with UK

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bandrews, Jul 25, 2017.

1. bandrews macrumors 6502a

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The irony of all this is that the UK is pursuing a free-trade agenda by trying to replace what the country already has, but is foolishly throwing away.... I predict that this won't go well, the UK economy will start shrinking, and then in order to survive the UK will become the world's only nuclear-armed offshore tax shelter.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Government will be overthrown long before that. The actions are those of a group of people scared ********.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Hopefully be a peaceful legal vote triggered by a no confidence vote in parliament, yes? ;)

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Corbyn believes in the same lala Brexit as the Tories.

6. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Corbyn won the popular vote while Maybot is propped up by a bunch of mad crazies from Ireland, courtesy of a $1b bribe from the English taxpayer. It's hard to say which country has it worse: the UK or USA.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Corbyn did not win the popular vote.

8. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Sure did. Sum up Labor and the Scottish Party and it beats the tories.

9. bandrews thread starter macrumors 6502a

image.jpg Actually, no, they didn’t.
    And as @Eraserhead said, Corbyn believes in Brexit and has never been a fan of the EU. Have you forgotten his half-arsed campaigning at referendum time?

Brexit negotiation needs to be fully cross party.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 25, 2017 ---
    The true irony however is a nationalist like Trump calling the EU protectionist.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I think you'll find SNP supporters are willing to work with Corbyn (and the rest of Labour), but they're not his supporters.

11. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

I thought Scottish Party or whatever it's called was Scottish Labor. Now I'm confused. If only you had a two party system like us Americans.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No. They are the SNP, entirely separate.

13. SoggyCheese macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

Maybe UK, Maybe Spain, maybe even elsewhere
    It never will be. The Tories want a Daily Mail Brexit. A Daily Express Brexit. A News International Brexit. In their minds there is no room for anyone else at the UK end of the negotiating table.

14. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Corbyn bought the additional seats they won by promising to remove student debt and is now back tracking on that
    https://www.theguardian.com/educati...corbyn-denies-promising-to-wipe-student-debts

Also theres more than a hint of electoral fraud by students which could have significantly boosted Labour's support and seats.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-twice-corbyn-watchdog-demands-urgent-action/

BREXIT should be stopped and Article 5 revoked. Even with a big majority it was always going to be difficult.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No he didn't. He said he'd stop fees. Not wipe out existing debt.
    I doubt many (if any) did actually do that. If they did they should be prosecuted.

16. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Im sure they will be, it's more than just hear say now. Prosecutions will follow and hopefully to more than those that did it, needs to include fixing the holes and preventing this from happen... even 1 is 1 too many.

Opps.."every existing student will have all their debts wiped off"

New political policy small print "A source close to the {insert party} leader stressed: “{insert name of MP} was mistaken. That was not our policy.”

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I guess he misspoke. It's not in the manifesto - http://www.labour.org.uk/index.php/manifesto2017/towards-a-national-education-service

18. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Doesn't need to be and i don't believe anyone hinted it was in there.

Most people don't read those excruciating waffle publications from political parties. Student were extremely active on the social platforms and thats where they took their cues from and other traditional student places like NME etc who put out "there is a block of those that currently have a massive debt, and I’m looking at ways that we could reduce that, ameliorate that, lengthen the period of paying it off, or some other means of reducing that debt burden.”

If people think they are going to get a free meal... it spreads really quickly.

Just like the BBC crap around Corbyn at Glastonbury. They edited the footage and didn't bother showing all the other stages booing him - i was there, i saw and heard it with my own eyes/ears.

19. Eraserhead, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Just like the pensions triple lock and free TV licence are free meals for pensioners...

How do we know pensioners didn't vote twice in their second homes as well?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 25, 2017 ---
    Wouldn't the other stages have been showing other acts....

And why if you were booing him wouldn't you go to Corbyns stage...

EDIT: are you sure you didn't read about the booing in the daily telegraph? As apparently it was for Trump...

https://skwawkbox.org/2017/06/25/bbcr4-tries-to-claim-glastonbury2017-booing-for-corbyn/

20. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

No, the other stages had a 30min pause and he appeared on the screens.

How do you know "who" the pensioners voted for?
    Unfortunately in the UK many people vote a party based on where they are from or live rather.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Fair enough. Still if it was a significant number there'd be video evidence - and not just the word of the spectator - https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/...e-glastonbury-wasnt-one-booing-jeremy-corbyn/. We all have smartphones now.

How do you know "who" the students voted for?

22. SoggyCheese macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

Maybe UK, Maybe Spain, maybe even elsewhere
    Free meal describes the Baby Boomer generation perfectly. Sat there with all their housing boom fuelled assets and final salary pensions, their early retirement careers that were littered with expected pay rises and of course that free education they could just take if they wanted it.

Meanwhile the generations at the bottom get lower than minimum wage pay or have to run up massive debts if they stay in education. They can't afford rent, they can't afford to own a home, the retirement age is disappearing away from them faster than life expectancy rises and at every turn the ladder of opportunity is pulled up away.

For decades government resources have been concentrated on the wishes of the seniors, who have happily ignored what's going on for their own children or grandchildren as they themselves sucked up the resources of the country. And now we have Brexit, the ultimate betrayal.

Are you really surprised the young are finally mobilising? The inequality gap between the generations is enormous, and still growing. There is a pressure building to sort this out.

Those on the "traditional" wing ought to be very worried about what is coming. IMO there's a correction approaching.

23. AFEPPL, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017

AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Yougov poll showed 64% of student voted labour vs 19% conservatives

I don't agree governments have focused on seniors, the work shy policies the Blair government created is the main problem still. They made it pay for a generation to live on benifits which we are all paying for and was the root of austerity. Some (don't read all) on welfare were getting more than the average wage, which is just wrong on all levels. They could have dealt with the bankers but didn't, they could have dealt with 0 hours but didn't (even though it was a manafesto pledge) a correction had to happen, we can't just borrow forever. What services do people want to stop funding, outgoings are more than the income. NHS ? Welfare ? Education ? Pensions? Other public services ?

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And vice versa for pensioners :).

That's all down to housing benefit which sometimes has to pay market rents thanks to thatchers right to buy. Blair certainly didn't coddle the poor by any stretch.

For the record I do think homeowners look after their homes (slightly) better so I'd support right to buy if there were a decent number of social houses available and if the money raised built more homes.

25. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Or request to get back in the EU in fifteen years.