Trump Slump - a devastating drop in tourism to US

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Mar 1, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

http://www.frommers.com/tips/miscel...sm-to-the-united-states#.WK56fe1Dn7W.facebook

• Though they may differ as to the wisdom of the move, the travel press and most travel experts are of one mind: They are currently drawing attention to an unintended consequence of the Trump-led efforts to stop many Muslims from coming to the U.S., pointing to a sharp drop in foreign tourism to our nation that imperils jobs and touristic income.
    • As far as travel by distinct religious groups, flight passengers from the seven Muslim-majority nations named by Trump were down by 80% in the last week of January and first week of February, according to Forward Keys, a well-known firm of travel statisticians. On the web, flight searches for trips heading to the U.S. out of all international locations was recently down by 17%.
    • According to the Global Business Travel Association, in only a single week following announcement of the ban against certain foreign tourists, the activity of business travel declined by nearly $185 million.

2. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Very suspicious article. Everything is percentages with no links to sources or actual numbers of tourists. So what if tourism from those Muslim countries falls by 80% if the numbers amount to only 100 people?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't there be zero tourists coming from those seven Muslim countries if Trump's ban hadn't been overturned?

We all have to make sacrifices as we secure the nation from terrorism.

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Meanwhile, the only terrorists that continue to actually attack us are American.

What sacrifices should we make to secure ourselves from them?

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

All? What sacrifices are you making?

5. samiwas macrumors 65816

I'm glad we put so much effort and money into something that causes a tiny fraction of violent deaths, compared to something we refuse to even allow research on. America is a strange land sometimes.

You know, it's funny...we used to always hear "Those who will give up a little freedom for security deserve neither", or something to that effect. Now, those same people are saying "Hey, we all need to give up a little to be secure". Oh wait, look:

I may need to write another short screenplay.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you want to #MAGA tourism is the way to do it.

7. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Given that the last two major terrorist attacks were by Muslim-Americans (San Bernadino and Orlando), all your snarky comment proves is that we need to severely restrict the number of Muslims immigrating to the US. Polls have shown they tend to sympathize with terrorists too much to make good neighbors:

• For example, 6% of British Muslims thought the July 2005 bombings in the London Underground were justified, and 24% of showed some sympathy with the people who carried out the attacks.
    • Also, Polls taken by Saudi owned Al Arabiya and Gallup suggest moderate support for the September 11 terrorist attacks within the Islamic world, with 36% of Arabs polled by Al Arabiya saying the 9/11 attacks were morally justified. A 2008 study, produced by Gallup, found similar results with 38.6% of Muslims questioned believing the 9/11 attacks were justified. Another poll conducted, in 2005 by the Fafo Foundation in the Palestinian Authority, found that 65% of respondents supported the September 11 attacks.
    Nope, not the sort of people you want living nearby.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And ~15% of white people are racist. Does that mean all white people make bad neighbours?

9. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

My goodness! And here I thought Leftists were all about nuance and shades of gray.

I don't see where any American's freedom is being impacted in the least by preventing undesirables from immigrating. That's why Trump's merit-based immigration is going to be so wonderful: we keep out the third worlders who refuse to assimilate and run up our social services costs. In exchange, we get valuable talent who will be well-educated and will vote Republican.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 1, 2017 ---
    Actually 100 percent of white people are racist. And privileged. Just ask any Democrat.

10. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Also, men. Let's do something about all of the men!

You're also cherrypicking, saying "the last two major terrorist attacks" because it helps make your point. Orlando may also have been less about him being Muslim and more about him being gay. But we'll never know for sure. But anyway, I will never understand why the victims of "Muslim terrorists" are so much more important than the victims of American terrorists.

I'll ask again - what sacrifices should we make to ensure that someone doesn't walk into a school again and shoot 20 children? Or are they not worthy of sacrifice because they were shot by a white guy?

11. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Awww. Did I destroy your narrative?

I'm not cherrypicking, I'm just pointing out how absurd your sarcastic comment was. By using facts.

Sorry if that stings.

12. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

You dodging my question, TWICE, is what really stings.

And I don't have a narrative. Just stating the fact that ALL victims of terrorism should matter. Not just the ones killed by Muslims.

13. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I'll answer your question with one of my own: How will we keep someone from driving into a bunch of kids walking home from school?

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

That's not how this works. I didn't make that statement about sacrifice. You did.

You said we ALL have to make sacrifices to secure our nation from terrorists. What sacrifices should we make to secure our nation from American terrorists? Which, according to the facts, are a hell of a lot more prevalent than the foreign kind.

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Self driving cars with no override. :D

16. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

We'll have to sacrifice by keeping our eyes open and fingers crossed. They're Americans, y'see, so we shouldn't do anything to restrict their freedom if they haven't done anything to deserve it. Of course, we should have been much more vigilant before allowing them or their parents to immigrate, but we're belatedly fixing that problem now.

17. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Where again were the parents of the Connecticut shooter from? Or the parents of all the mass murderers from Colorado? How about the parents of the Oklahoma bomber?

All rhetorical, of course. I'll let you off the hook. My point has been made!

18. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Connecticut shooter: 2012, mass murderers from Colorado: 2012, and parents of the Oklahoma bomber: 1995.

San Bernadino: 2015, Orlando: 2016.

I agree you made your point. And you made mine too.

We need to be more careful about who we let in.

19. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

We had a terrorist attack this week! Where were his parents from?

20. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

We had a terrorist attack this week? Where? I didn't hear about it. Was it in Bowling Green?

21. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Well, now you're just being obtuse.

But, because clarification is needed, it occurred in the last week.

22. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Nope, I'm honestly in a quandary.

Not much help. I even googled "Terrorist attack in the last week" and nothing came up for the US. Now I admit that I think the US is the world, but even when glancing at other places, there weren't any terror attacks.

Come on, fess up: you made it up.

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

LOL ok.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

25. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

http://www.travelweekly.com/North-America-Travel/Data-suggests-Trump-slump-in-travel-to-US
    http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-...okings-to-US-fell-during-selective-travel-ban