Trump spokeswoman: Ryan not fit for Speaker if he can't support nominee

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, May 6, 2016.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

This is why Trump is having such a hard time winning the support of establishment Republicans. Ryan was showing that he and his House are tepid, an opportunity for Trump to reach out and try to unite. Instead, this is his reaction. He will always be narcissistic and demeaning, it's just who he is and speaks to his temperament in general. While I don't agree with Republicans on most things, it's hard not to see their point here.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

he doesn't need " establishment Republicans" , he needs moderates to win over the independents.

3. jerwin macrumors 65816

I think that Pierson really doesn't understand the Madisonian conception of the constitution. Liberty is maintained by the jealous rivalries and struggles for power among the various components of government, each of which derives its mandate to rule from different sources. Paul Ryan doesn't owe anything to Trump.

Though, in this case, whoever wins the presidency will likely also "win" the Supreme Court-- unless one of the four "conservatives" decides to join the four "liberals", or the Senate rebels.

4. SusanK macrumors 68000

First time Ryan said something that made sense. Trump&Co against it. Sensible statement confirmed. :)

5. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Make sense that Ryan a Bush sell out neocon would refuse anyone that isn't part of the entrenched warmonger club.

The people's votes obviously does not matter to "THEIR" party.

6. SusanK macrumors 68000

I don't think the people's votes matter to either party. DNC has been in the tank for Clinton for years. Unfortunate that is seems that way. Wish it was different. I'm not voting for either of those clowns.

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Through all of this, Ryan looks the most sane. Of course, in the current GOP, Ryan almost always comes out looking the most sane. Also the most willing to work with the other side.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed. Perhaps that binging on Sleep Down in the Fire and Killing in the Name of started to get to him.

BL.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I'm sure Ryan really cares about a former shoplifter's opinion. I'm quite sure she is unable to look at the situation a little deeper. But Ryan has to look out for all the down ballot House races, some of which already are calling out for help in the Districts. Not to mention his own state which did not go for Trump. Thus he is being very cautious which in this situation is the right thing to do.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Haha!

Ryan's policies on issues which involve a great deal of strategies (specifically immigration, economy, and finance) find me kind of agreeing with him, whereas his social views are still not liberal enough for my taste.

11. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Story I read said that Trump's staff did reach out to Ryan's staff for a private meeting and while Trump's camp was waiting for a reply, Ryan went ahead and gave the interview saying that he couldn't support Trump. That's when Trump took it as a rebuff and hit back.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This tells me that Trump can't take any criticism in any mature way. Although, this isn't something we haven't already known, with his attempts to sue anyone who speaks unfavourably of him for slander.

Imagine what would happen if it were the Press... Oh, wait.

BL.

13. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

He's right. Ryan is just another establishment cuckservative.

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So funny. Just a few short years ago Ryan and Cruz were considered tea party type outsiders who would change DC. Now they are considered "establishment" and people turn to Trump, who they will also get tired of and toss aside at some point in the future for yet someone else. People are so fickle.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Which is funny, because they just exerted the same attitude that they accuse millennials have with having short attention spans. They should be reminded to have their own yard in order before accusing others of how bad theirs looks.

BL.

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Since Ryan took a step back, and reconsidered his whole Randian makers and takers philosophy, I've seen quite a few people slamming him as Just Another RINO.

17. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

I don't think that Ryan was ever considered a Tea Party outsider.. at least not more than a couple weeks. Cruz, sure.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I love how "outsider" has become a new buzzword.

19. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Ryan - not tea party. Cruz was a trojan horese to the tea party - he worked for Bush, and helped craft Nafta, his wife Heidi
    Goldman Sachs - CFR member.

The "principals Ryan is talking about is the TPP globlalist agenda. Trump will not bow to them.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

See post 18. The Tea Party even disagrees with you.

BL.

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Why did the tea party folk think these guys were one of them then? Were they fooled? Are they being fooled yet again by Trump now? Things to ponder. Republicans don't exactly have a good track record of picking people. They rally behind someone only to feel burned later on. Over and over and over again. How many times does it take before they start realizing they aren't good at this whole judge of character thing?

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

In an interview on "New Day" on CNN, host John Berman asked Trump spokesperson Katrina Pierson whether Ryan was fit to retain the speakership if he can't get behind Trump as the GOP standard bearer.
    "No, because this is about the party," Pierson replied. "The last two presidential cycles... we were told to hold our noses and vote for the sake of the party. These same people are now telling us that because their guy didn't win, they want to hurt the party."

...and wait for it... they have to hold their noses and stop from gagging. :D

23. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Republicans are not picking Trump, the people's votes are - across many ideologies. USA 1rst.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If Trump gets in which is unlikely he will end up going the same route as other politicians and no longer will be seen as an outsider. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he had a primary challenger in 2020 saying that he was now a "Washington insider"