Trump spokeswoman: Ryan not fit for Speaker if he can't support nominee

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
This is why Trump is having such a hard time winning the support of establishment Republicans. Ryan was showing that he and his House are tepid, an opportunity for Trump to reach out and try to unite. Instead, this is his reaction. He will always be narcissistic and demeaning, it's just who he is and speaks to his temperament in general. While I don't agree with Republicans on most things, it's hard not to see their point here.

(CNN)A national spokesperson for the Trump campaign said Friday that if House Speaker Paul Ryan can't come around to supporting Donald Trump as the Republican presidential nominee, he's no longer fit to hold his current position.

In an interview on "New Day" on CNN, host John Berman asked Trump spokesperson Katrina Pierson whether Ryan was fit to retain the speakership if he can't get behind Trump as the GOP standard bearer.
"No, because this is about the party," Pierson replied. "The last two presidential cycles... we were told to hold our noses and vote for the sake of the party. These same people are now telling us that because their guy didn't win, they want to hurt the party."

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
I think that Pierson really doesn't understand the Madisonian conception of the constitution. Liberty is maintained by the jealous rivalries and struggles for power among the various components of government, each of which derives its mandate to rule from different sources. Paul Ryan doesn't owe anything to Trump.

Though, in this case, whoever wins the presidency will likely also "win" the Supreme Court-- unless one of the four "conservatives" decides to join the four "liberals", or the Senate rebels.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
First time Ryan said something that made sense. Trump&Co against it. Sensible statement confirmed. :)

Reactions: bradl

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
First time Ryan said something that made sense. Trump&Co against it. Sensible statement confirmed. :)
Make sense that Ryan a Bush sell out neocon would refuse anyone that isn't part of the entrenched warmonger club.

The people's votes obviously does not matter to "THEIR" party.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I don't think the people's votes matter to either party. DNC has been in the tank for Clinton for years. Unfortunate that is seems that way. Wish it was different. I'm not voting for either of those clowns.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Through all of this, Ryan looks the most sane. Of course, in the current GOP, Ryan almost always comes out looking the most sane. Also the most willing to work with the other side.
Agreed. Perhaps that binging on Sleep Down in the Fire and Killing in the Name of started to get to him.

BL.

Reactions: Renzatic

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
I'm sure Ryan really cares about a former shoplifter's opinion. I'm quite sure she is unable to look at the situation a little deeper. But Ryan has to look out for all the down ballot House races, some of which already are calling out for help in the Districts. Not to mention his own state which did not go for Trump. Thus he is being very cautious which in this situation is the right thing to do.

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Agreed. Perhaps that binging on Sleep Down in the Fire and Killing in the Name of started to get to him.

BL.
Haha!

Ryan's policies on issues which involve a great deal of strategies (specifically immigration, economy, and finance) find me kind of agreeing with him, whereas his social views are still not liberal enough for my taste.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
This is why Trump is having such a hard time winning the support of establishment Republicans. Ryan was showing that he and his House are tepid, an opportunity for Trump to reach out and try to unite. Instead, this is his reaction.
Story I read said that Trump's staff did reach out to Ryan's staff for a private meeting and while Trump's camp was waiting for a reply, Ryan went ahead and gave the interview saying that he couldn't support Trump. That's when Trump took it as a rebuff and hit back.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Story I read said that Trump's staff did reach out to Ryan's staff for a private meeting and while Trump's camp was waiting for a reply, Ryan went ahead and gave the interview saying that he couldn't support Trump. That's when Trump took it as a rebuff and hit back.
This tells me that Trump can't take any criticism in any mature way. Although, this isn't something we haven't already known, with his attempts to sue anyone who speaks unfavourably of him for slander.

Imagine what would happen if it were the Press... Oh, wait.

BL.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
He's right. Ryan is just another establishment cuckservative.
So funny. Just a few short years ago Ryan and Cruz were considered tea party type outsiders who would change DC. Now they are considered "establishment" and people turn to Trump, who they will also get tired of and toss aside at some point in the future for yet someone else. People are so fickle.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
So funny. Just a few short years ago Ryan and Cruz were considered tea party type outsiders who would change DC. Now they are considered "establishment" and people turn to Trump, who they will also get tired of and toss aside at some point in the future for yet someone else. People are so fickle.
Which is funny, because they just exerted the same attitude that they accuse millennials have with having short attention spans. They should be reminded to have their own yard in order before accusing others of how bad theirs looks.

BL.

Praxis91

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
I don't think that Ryan was ever considered a Tea Party outsider.. at least not more than a couple weeks. Cruz, sure.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
Ryan - not tea party. Cruz was a trojan horese to the tea party - he worked for Bush, and helped craft Nafta, his wife Heidi
Goldman Sachs - CFR member.

The "principals Ryan is talking about is the TPP globlalist agenda. Trump will not bow to them.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Ryan - not tea party. Cruz was a trojan horese to the tea party - he worked for Bush, and helped craft Nafta, his wife Heidi

The "principals Ryan is talking about is the TPP globlalist agenda. Trump will not bow to them.
See post 18. The Tea Party even disagrees with you.

BL.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009

Why did the tea party folk think these guys were one of them then? Were they fooled? Are they being fooled yet again by Trump now? Things to ponder. Republicans don't exactly have a good track record of picking people. They rally behind someone only to feel burned later on. Over and over and over again. How many times does it take before they start realizing they aren't good at this whole judge of character thing?

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This is why Trump is having such a hard time winning the support of establishment Republicans. Ryan was showing that he and his House are tepid, an opportunity for Trump to reach out and try to unite. Instead, this is his reaction. He will always be narcissistic and demeaning, it's just who he is and speaks to his temperament in general. While I don't agree with Republicans on most things, it's hard not to see their point here.
In an interview on "New Day" on CNN, host John Berman asked Trump spokesperson Katrina Pierson whether Ryan was fit to retain the speakership if he can't get behind Trump as the GOP standard bearer.
"No, because this is about the party," Pierson replied. "The last two presidential cycles... we were told to hold our noses and vote for the sake of the party. These same people are now telling us that because their guy didn't win, they want to hurt the party."

...and wait for it... they have to hold their noses and stop from gagging. :D

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
Why did the tea party folk think these guys were one of them then? Were they fooled? Are they being fooled yet again by Trump now? Things to ponder. Republicans don't exactly have a good track record of picking people. They rally behind someone only to feel burned later on. Over and over and over again. How many times does it take before they start realizing they aren't good at this whole judge of character thing?
Republicans are not picking Trump, the people's votes are - across many ideologies. USA 1rst.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If Trump gets in which is unlikely he will end up going the same route as other politicians and no longer will be seen as an outsider. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he had a primary challenger in 2020 saying that he was now a "Washington insider"