Trump starts banging the drums of war

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, May 9, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Donald Trump has already shown a willingness to support individual military strikes on specific targets, such as his recent strikes into Syria and Afghanistan. But it seems that he's now gearing up for some longer-term efforts in several areas, from recent news reports:

- Sending arms to Syria: "President Trump has approved a plan to directly arm Kurdish forces fighting in Syria, the Pentagon said on Tuesday, inflaming already strained ties with Turkey and putting the U.S. military a step closer to seizing a remaining Islamic State stronghold."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...against-islamic-state/?utm_term=.05eb9f7b6bc8

- Sending troops to Afghanistan: "Now the top brass is readying a proposal to send as many as 5,000 additional troops to help beat back the resurgent Taliban in a country where the U.S. is still waging its longest war. Trump will be presented the military options in the coming days, according to several administration officials."

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/09/trump-afghanistan-troops-taliban-238179

I guess I've always expected Trump to act in this manner. It feels like how he does things; no overall plan or strategy, but a continual slow ratcheting up of force. Trump never backs down.

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

...and the last thing he wants is us thinking about Russia.

3. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

If this is true I'm going to be very displeased. We shouldn't be arming anyone in Syria and we shouldn't be sending troops to Syria.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Break out the tinfoil, we're going to Moscow!

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Oclueless armed rebels in Syria. Wrong then and wrong if trump does it

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

But I doubt you will go on about it like you do with oboma.

7. chown33 macrumors 604

No tinfoil needed.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

To be fair, Trump thinks Syria is the hot 20 something barista at Starbucks.

9. daflake macrumors 6502a

I will....

10. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

As will I.

Is that enough conservative outrage for you @steve knight ?

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

I mean I'm not keen on Trump generally, but there's a stark reality that needs to be faced here.

So far the most prevalent opposition to ISIS in the area are Kurdish fighters. Its pretty obvious that the spread of the caliphate is something that needs to be battled, and Raqqa is probably where decisive action is taking place. The battle of Raqqa is coming, and it will be bloody.

At this point there's two choices, let the Kurdish dominated forces battle on their own, and hope they win, or support them with arms, and bolster their chances of winning.

Obviously it rubs Turkey up the wrong way, but to be honest Erdogan isn't exactly endearing himself to anyone either.

12. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Good. Credit where credit is due: the SDF (and especially the Kurds) have been at the forefront of the fight against ISIS, making immense progress and sustaining heavy losses, despite being underfunded and harassed by Turkey. Up until now they had just air support, I'm glad they get more now.

13. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

To my mind though, the real stark reality is that Trump is somewhat removed from reality. His policies (if he has any) constantly shift from one extreme to the other, and he seems to be surprised every time a new aspect of foreign (or domestic!) issues appears in front of him.

Defending this nation, and asserting its place in the world, are definitely tasks that the president must take on. I get that. But these tasks also require an understanding of facts on the ground, as well as some conception of how actions taken today will affect the world order tomorrow. And I just don't see Trump ever figuring that aspect out...

14. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

This wouldn't be shocking under any administration. It's proxy war award season.

15. sim667 macrumors 65816

I doubt he will. Trump wouldn't know reality if it hit him in the face.

But what real alternatives in this situation?

The Kurdish forces have been at the forefront of this for some time now.

16. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Most administrations have some conception of why they are taking military action, and generally make some sort of explanation of that purpose to the public; whether for national defense, or to support an ally, or even just to push for "democratic reform".

But what, exactly, is Trump trying to accomplish? He never seems to put more than five minutes of thought into any of his actions...
    --- Post Merged, May 10, 2017 ---
    Oh, I think the Kurds should have been supported more forcefully years ago.

But, off the top of my head: if you're all-fired to go in shooting, you should leverage that fact. You know, the art of the deal, and all that? Trump should have been on the phone to Erdogan ahead of time, asserting that he was ready to start making moves in the region to get rid of IS. That if Erdogan couldn't get the job done himself in a short period of time, he should be ready to expect that other forces would be doing it.

If this move wasn't sufficient to get more immediate movement out of the Turkish government, it would at least have served the purpose of (a) warning Turkey ahead of time that the Kurds would be receiving arms, and (b) providing a solid rationale for why the Kurds would be receiving arms. It would also prepare the American public, in the same manner.

Just going off one day and throwing military hardware around the globe, without warning anyone in advance, is a great way to step on everybody's political toes. It also wastes a lot of the political capital available for use when merely moving military hardware around. In short, Trump is using the American military extremely inefficiently...

17. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

"Pound Raqqa into a parking lot."
    - The late Peter Quinn

18. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

It’s all lies regardless of who is delivering it and everybody knows it. I feel bad for military people, present and veterans, who are still trying to desperately convince themselves we are involved in wars for any reason other than corporatism. Terrorism is just a bonus distraction excuse.

19. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

[​IMG]

20. Zenithal macrumors 68040

And probably thinks he's the modern day Rasputin.

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's true.

The Turks are unhappy that the U.S. is planning to arm Syria's Kurdish YPG.

It's worth noting that the U.S. has been working with the YPG for years, and the group has helped coordinate U.S. air strikes.

In one sign that Syria might be a true quagmire, the Turks have launched their own airstrikes against the YPG because they believe the group is linked to a terror group in Turkey.

We also have special forces troops in Syria helping to train Syrian forces to fight against ISIS and Assad.

22. sim667 macrumors 65816

I think may I've foolishly assumed there would have been more build up and bargaining before this happened..... but then I remember who we're talking about here.

23. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

An update: Trump has now given the Pentagon the authority to increase troop levels in Afghanistan.

With the new authority, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis could authorize deployment of additional troops to Afghanistan, something commanders on the ground have been requesting for months. Gen. John Nicholson, the commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, and his direct superior, U.S. Central Command head Gen. Joseph Votel, have both made cases for sending a “few thousand” more troops. If sent, the forces would help the fledgling Afghan military regain portions of the country that have fallen to the Taliban since U.S. forces ended their combat mission there in 2014.​

And, it looks like we'll be staying there for quite a long time:

Incensed, the chairman of the committee, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), said Congress couldn’t pass a budget without a strategy.

“We can’t keep going like this,” McCain said. “We know what the strategy was for the last eight years: Don’t lose. That hasn’t worked.”

When asked what “winning looks like,” Mattis replied that it would mean a long-term U.S. presence and Afghan security forces that were capable enough to control violence at local levels.​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...levels-in-afghanistan/?utm_term=.e76a6636ed68

24. samcraig macrumors P6