Trump starts banging the drums of war

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, May 9, 2017.

1. unlinked macrumors 6502a

American troops in Afghanistan!!!!!! This is unprecedented!

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Staying in Afghanistan is a mistake, it I don't think this counts as banging war drums.

3. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Cool. Now, all we need is to introduce troops into the few countries left in the world where we don't yet have them, and poof! Nothing counts as war drums any more...

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Don't let your hate for Trump cloud your view of what's really going on.

5. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Yep. What's really going on is war without end. Amen.

6. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I'm all for pulling every troop out of every foreign base. Let it all burn.

7. daflake macrumors 6502a

To be fair, Obama said he was going to bring them all home. What happened there?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2017 ---
    Except Germany, I like my job. :p

8. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

When I become president I'm bringing you home. No ifs, ands, or buts.

9. daflake macrumors 6502a

Good to know that will never happen. :p

10. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I'm pretty sure he only said that about Iraq; he took Afghanistan on board as his war.

Still, yeah, he tried to keep American fingers in a whole lot of foreign situations. Then again, Trump won by explicitly saying he wanted to bomb the **** out of Isis, and had better military plans than the generals, so it does seem as though the American people still have a hunger for war.

11. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

The Turks will be even more pissed if Iraqi Kurdistan vote for independence. They have to suspect that the West support independent state.
    Will also make the battle lines between Qatari supporters and detractors somewhat firmer.

The American corporations sure have a hunger for war.

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Trump is president. Anything is possible.

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Nah..after Trump I think people will run the other way again and not look for outsiders with no political experience for a long long time.

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, look at competing pipelines through the region and who benefits...

15. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, looks like we could get into a little shooting war with Russia now, after we shot down one of their ally Syria's jets:

The Russian defense ministry says in a statement that, starting Monday, it will track all jets and drones of the U.S.-led coalition west of the Euphrates and treat them as targets.

The ministry also called on the U.S. military to provide a full account of why it decided to shoot down the Syrian SU-22.​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...12026319da7_story.html?utm_term=.f134fb6fba7a

Also, obviously, the US-Russia "deconfliction zone" is over for now. So even areas not "west of the Euphrates" may be dangerous.

On the upside, this is probably decent evidence that Trump is not a puppet of Putin. Painful, bloody evidence, but evidence none-the-less.

16. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Are we great again yet?

17. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

US economic hegemony was built through the mechanisms of war, geopolitical control, and debt peonage. Why would we stop now? I don't support it, but the overall global strategy here is what builds economic growth and maintains US status quo in the world economy. I'm all for shutting it down, but for those, both left and right, who scream about jobs and growing the economy, what do you think would happen if the US gave up the empire it spent the last 100 years building?

18. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

19. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

More ominous tweets out today from the Golden Child:

Screenshot from 2017-06-20 15-24-47.png Screenshot from 2017-06-20 15-25-04.png

It seems like it's only been about a month since Trump seemed to "hand off" the North Korean problem to China. That ain't much time to turn things around... But in any case, Trump has essentially zero options to deal with NK right now, other than force. Could be that he wants to test out that "very powerful armada" before it has to go back to get resupplied. Heck, his last 59-cruise-missile strike went off without a hitch, he probably wants to try the same thing here...

20. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Well if Mueller ever subpoena's the POTUS, pretty much guarantee there's gonna be a bomb dropped somewhere.......ultimate deflection.

21. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Heh, I think the ultimate deflection might come from our own defense department:

"I'm sorry Don, I'm afraid I can't do that..."​

22. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

That's so sweet. He gave China a participation prize. Maybe his heart has grown three 1.25 sizes. Who says he lacks compassion for LOSERS like Jina.

23. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I don't think corporate media are allowed to print that question, never any smart-alec answers.

But my answer would be "Maybe the empire would stop striking back?"

Anyway whenever they run out of oil, we're gonna look silly trying to keep a war machine going over a bunch of countries that may revert to growing date palms and pitching a 2-week camel caravan tour of the desert as being an exotic departure from a boring old Mediterranean cruise.

I hate to be rude to our erstwhile allies and adversaries but they need to get a grip and invest their money more wisely while some of these oil revenues are still flowing in. You know, focus on technology, bionic medicine, interstellar space travel vehicle design and so forth: coming attractions.

And then boot us out so the rest of the oil stays in the ground and the planet stays habitable.

Oh, wait. Did you mean what would happen to us without the war machine's churn? Heh. That's why it's forbidden to ask the question.

24. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

On point as usual Liz.

If folks want to know more, I recommend the following book:

IMG_2517.JPG

25. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Trump insiders are now pushing for "regime change" in Iran:

“The policy of the United States should be regime change in Iran,” said Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), who speaks regularly with White House officials about foreign policy. “I don’t see how anyone can say America can be safe as long as you have in power a theocratic despotism,” he added.

Cotton advocated a combination of economic, diplomatic and covert actions to pressure Tehran’s government and “support internal domestic dissent” in the country. He noted that Iran has numerous minority ethnic groups, including Arabs, Turkmen and Balochs who “aren’t enthusiastic about living in a Persian Shiite despotism.”

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson appeared to endorse subverting the Iranian regime during recent testimony about the State Department’s budget when Rep. Ted Poe (R-Texas) asked the diplomat whether the Trump administration supports “a philosophy of regime change” in Iran.
    The case for political subversion in Iran has also been pressed to the White House by the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies, a hawkish Washington think tank that strenuously opposed President Barack Obama’s 2015 nuclear deal with Tehran and which has close ties to many key Trump officials.

Soon after Trump’s inauguration, FDD’s CEO, Mark Dubowitz, submitted a seven-page Iran policy memo to Trump’s National Security Council. The memo—which was circulated inside the Trump White House and recently obtained by POLITICO—included a discussion of ways to foment popular unrest with the goal of establishing a “free and democratic” Iran.​

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/25/trump-iran-foreign-policy-regime-change-239930