Trump still silent 2 days after protesters in DC were brutally assaulted by Turkish security

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, May 18, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

There was an incident where protesters were attacked by Turkish security guards outside the Turkish Ambassador’s residence. It's pretty remarkable that this happened in our country, but even more remarkable that Trump ignored it. I think Obama might have said something. Trump does love his disctators and thuggish behavior though.

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-erdogan-flynn-protesters-47f8ae678097

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

unless it is terrorists he has said nothing about us violence. cops shot does not phase him people run over no biggie. a cop attacked by a guy who claims to be a terrorist out of the us he screams about it.

3. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah, but this is an international incident that involves a person he had just met with. In fact, the video I saw on the 11th Hour just now, showed Erdogan watching it! I had not seen that before. I'm glad the state department talked to them, but the whole incident never should have happened in the first place.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Play stupid games win stupid prizes

5. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Ah yes, a famous talking point...you're good with those phrases, but as is common with these post, there isn't any substance behind them. What does that mean in the context of this story?

6. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Perhaps a few deportations of Turkish security people would be in order. Or is that only reserved for Mexicans?

7. darksithpro macrumors 6502

The Turkish envoy has diplomatic immunity. It's a grey area of troubles that has popped up in the press before. It's been abused before under previous presidents. I don't think this is personally Trumps fault and it puts him in a difficult position in regards to diplomacy with Turkey. Keep in mind even if Turkey is a Dictatorship after what happened with the failed coup, they still have control on who gets passage to the Black Sea "Bosphorus strait", where Crimea is and their illegal annexation by the Russians. We need their cooperation to send our Destroyers into the Black Sea to challenge Russian aggression.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think actually Turkey is required by treaty to let people into the Black Sea.

And anyway why worry about Crimea, Trump loves the Russians.

9. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Challenge Russian aggression. Lol. That's a good one. Almost spit out out my rum and coke.

10. Cox Orange, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Unfortunately Turkey has to let German politicians visit German NATO soldiers in Turkey as well, but refuses to. One wonders, what treaty he feels he has to honor.

Regarding the protesters, I remember last year before Trump took office, Erdogan held a speech in New York and told the police to get the protesters away and the US police told him that it is their right to stay. I know it doesn't have anything to do with who was president at the time, but it was nice to see that the police knows what to do.

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Putin told him it was okay.

12. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Forgive my ignorance, but did the population of Crimea not hold a referendum?
    Should the Brits send Destroyers to Scotland or the Spanish send Destroyers to Catalonia if they do not like any referendum results? Would have added Donbass but need to read more about it...
    --- Post Merged, May 19, 2017 ---
    Probably awaiting gunfire from the embassy, as happened many years ago, from London's Libyan embassy.

13. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Ok then I think more protesters need to carry and use concealed weapons license. Don't protest at Turkish embassy unarmed.

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Assorted Congressional and State Department officials better stay ready to say "I got this one" when stuff like this happens in the Trump administration, at least as it's managed at the moment. It's better this White House stays out of the initial responses so an appropriate tone can be set. I suppose it's risky since Trump might tweet some riposte to his own side, but hey if he does that a couple times and he's all wrong on it, he can move on to the perpetual golf tour sooner than ever.

15. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I'm surprised he hasn't. Must not be convenient enough of his current agenda. Obama does love to come off as if he really cares when in fact he really doesn't.
    It means perhaps the protesters should have gone to work that day and actually made a difference in someones life.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

A you have no clue if oboma cares though he sure acts morel idk it then the man in orange that guy could care less about anyone else and has shown so many times.

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Good luck getting a permit in DC.

18. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Obama was as much about his agenda as Trump is his. The difference is in their approach and style.
    more people need to understand the proper use of firearms and when to use them as well too. but hey, it's PRSI, where understanding firearm basics and their use is not a requirement. although in fairness I'm sure the initial comment was sarcasm.

19. steve knight, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

not saying that we were saying that oboma cares or not about others.we do know trump cares about himself only. gives commencement speech it is about himself. Even his agent is about himself and his phobias and profits.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I think @HEK is pretty knowledgeable about firearms even though him and I disagree about training requirements, he probably just doesn't get that DC is it's own beast. I watched a couple of the videos, I saw a DC Metro cop going to town with his baton on an armed Turkish security. The Turkish diplomat side went way too far. I don't see how this is on Trump, DC turned it over to the State Department.

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Obama's smart if he lets this one alone while the Republicans handle it no matter what he thinks (and I imagine he is appalled). Ball is in the current administration's court. Our relationship with Turkey is dicey and important to the West. The State Department dudes and Turkish counterparts need to work out some closure to this thing.

22. edk99 macrumors 6502a

He has said a lot about the violence in Chicago. I guess you missed that :rolleyes:

23. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Agree on all points.

24. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Why does the president need to make a statement? Just inform the Turks he's not pleased and ask them to send the involved security folks home.

25. edk99 macrumors 6502a

It is just another thing for these whiners to complain about.