Trump suing the government... over taxes.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Nov 17, 2016.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The conflict of interest is strong in this one.
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/11/trump-suing-washington-dc-again.html

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

But ... but ... he'll make America great again by fighting for the little guy. For those of you who do not know, DC has very poor sections - fully 3/4ths of the city.

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Because no one in the history of property ownership has never appealed property taxes.

4. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Let me reread the last line of the article for you.

Soon this will be much less of a headache for Trump. As president he will be able to appoint the head of the General Services Administration, and that appointee will negotiate future leases for the property with the new heads of Trump’s companies: his children.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I get that, I'm referring to the suing over taxes. We also don't know what is happening with his businesses, I'm sure their is a room of lawyers somewhere trying to figure that out. With the level of scrutiny surrounding him I'm sure whatever gov't official takes over they're going to hopefully try to avoid ending up above the fold.

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

"We don't pay taxes. Only little people pay taxes." -- Leona Helmsley, billionaire and tax evader extraordinaire.

7. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

"As president he will be able to appoint the head of the General Services Administration, and that appointee will negotiate future leases for the property with the new heads of Trump’s companies: his children."

Oh, for ****s sake. And so it begins, and right on schedule. This was never about the country, it was about him.

8. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The only way is for him to put his empire into a blind trust, something he said he isn't going to do.

9. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Do you know why we don't know what is happening with Trumps businesses? Because they are privately held and do not have to disclose any conflicts of interests that they benefit from. There may be scrutiny, but there will not be transparency, and that is what is wrong with this, and not having his business held in a blind trust while he sits in office.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2016 ---
    Exactly right. If you don't believe that then you were fooled by him.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

Can anyone name any other President elects that have sued the government in the past? Just curious

11. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

It's been a while since we've had a president that was for the country.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Well mainly because he isn't going to liquidate all his real-estate all over the globe. It could pose an issue sure, but we'll have to wait and see because it might not. I'm sure some mechanism is going to be put in place and it would be best that he adhere to the conflict of interest rules even if the President is exempt from them.

13. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Why should we expect him to play by the rules? He's a rebel, a renegade, a rule breaker...here to do things differently. I see a theme in this and other posts (not by you specifically) where Trump supporters, now that he is President Elect, expect/hope for him to take a more disciplined, nuanced approach to the Presidency.

Why does anyone expect him to be more than the reality 'star' and hustler that he has proven to be?

I don't get it.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

He's 70. And unless he gets visited by three ghosts on Christmas Eve, he's not going to change.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Not when they are a President-Elect, no.

While this may be an appropriate action for a private citizen with considerable property interests to contemplate, it is not appropriate in a man about to enter the White House.

(And on this kind of issue, I would say the exact same thing if the other side engaged in such behaviour).

16. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Well he does have 3 ex-wives.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Wrong question. How often has a President of the United States?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2016 ---
    o_O What do you think they've been working for this whole time?

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Not sure he'd change even then.

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'll just leave this here.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

Made me think of this...

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Flight of the Conchords > silly feminist movie

22. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Not even remotely a contest. FoC for the win.

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Considering the dispute I'm sure was predating his win, why should his company drop it? How often has a Sec of State had a foundation accepting foreign donations? No ones here seems to have given a crap about that.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Trump's win will be a boon to him and his family that will vastly outweigh any money he was arguing over in court.

It's time for Donald to stop scrounging for every last dollar. There will be no need for that now.

25. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Good pivot and avoidance of my final point!