Trump supporter vows to intimidate voters who don't speak American

yg17

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
You can't make this **** up.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2016/10/15/donald-trump-warnings-conspiracy-rig-election-are-stoking-anger-among-his-followers/LcCY6e0QOcfH8VdeK9UdsM/story.html

Trump has recently started encouraging his mostly white supporters to sign up online to be “election observers” to stop “Crooked Hillary from rigging this election.” He’s urging them to act as posses of poll watchers in “other” communities to ensure that things are “on the up and up.”

“Watch your polling booths,” he warned.

His supporters are heeding the call. “Trump said to watch your precincts. I’m going to go, for sure,” said Steve Webb, a 61-year-old carpenter from Fairfield, Ohio.

“I’ll look for . . . well, it’s called racial profiling. Mexicans. Syrians. People who can’t speak American,” he said. “I’m going to go right up behind them. I’ll do everything legally. I want to see if they are accountable. I’m not going to do anything illegal. I’m going to make them a little bit nervous.”

tunerX

Suspended
Nov 5, 2009
Dialect is not a verb. On cannot dialect. You can speak in a dialect. You can even understand certain dialects. But it is not a verb, and does not represent a separate language.

As to the article referenced, the quote is suggesting intimidation, cause that's what "making them nervous" is. And it IS illegal.
Kapow... pedantic. You can absolutely dialect when you bro.

Do you even American, bro?

Let me correct you with all the powers of a pedant... it is "One cannot dialect". You wrote "On cannot dialect". But yeah lets harp on the guy in the OP who thinks American is a language...

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
Kapow... pedantic. You can absolutely dialect when you bro.

Do you even American, bro?

Let me correct you with all the powers of a pedant... it is "One cannot dialect". You wrote "On cannot dialect". But yeah lets harp on the guy in the OP who thinks American is a language...
For the record, nobody was complaining about the original poster.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Voter intimidation of this sort such as making voters nervous is illegal indeed and has very stiff penalties so these people will be taught a lesson if they try anything. That being said there's a cop in every poll site (at least here in New York) so I'd like to see them try.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
BTW you can't watch polling booths even if you're a poll watcher. Even the poll workers there can't watch the booths. Hell even the cop there isn't allowed to do that.

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
The British/American dual national English literature professor who does not 'dialect' please raise their hand.
[doublepost=1476810897][/doublepost]
I do, I speak American and a little Hispanic.
What is "Hispanic"? It's the first time I hear anybody say they speak that.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
You learn American in America while talking to Americans... Do you even dialect, bro?
This makes me want to get someone from the streets speaking street slang (slizzle it fo' my brizzles, my frizzles), someone with a thick New York/Philadelphia/Boston accent, someone from the South with a deep southern draw, and someone from Hawaii speaking Pidgin to all be stuck in a room together for 6 hours trying to translate what each other is saying. :D

BL.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
"Speak American" ... I just died a little on the inside. Can't stand when people say it like this.

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
This makes me want to get someone from the streets speaking street slang (slizzle it fo' my brizzles, my frizzles), someone with a thick New York/Philadelphia/Boston accent, someone from the South with a deep southern draw, and someone from Hawaii speaking Pidgin to all be stuck in a room together for 6 hours trying to translate what each other is saying. :D

BL.
An Australian once told me Americans usually said that they did not understand (the accent), but I had no problem.

Canadian French now, that can be tough (the meaning).

Reactions: AlliFlowers