Trump-supporting Miss Michigan stripped of title over ‘racist’ tweets

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 20, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/trump-supporting-miss-michigan-stripped-of-title-162200073.html

MWA does have the right to have people who do represent them be the "face" of the CO, obviously they need to do a better job vetting contestants and perhaps being open about what they expect. just have a "liberals only need apply" right on top......

2. LordVic macrumors 603

Being a racist ******* shouldn't be a partisan thing. Dunno why you think "only liberals apply" is even relevant other than a lame dig at "liberals"

Right and left should be rejecting racism. But right now, it seems only the left is.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

what is racist about not trying on a Hijab?
    that is how you get lice my friend
    [​IMG]

4. LordVic macrumors 603

Just reviewing her twitter. SHe's a bit of a nutjob. I don't see anything overtly racist in her own words.

She DOES link and retweet a lot of questionable material. So it's possible that MWA (i think that's the org) thinks that those comments reflect hers.

as a celebrity of certain fashion, she's in public scrutiny and should probably be more careful than that. But MWA is free to pick and chose for whatever reason represents them (they're not a government agency). MWA si probably just putting their foot down and had enough of the MAGA ******** that's recently being used as a cover for racists/xenophobes

I still find "MAGA" hilarious given the recent context of "go back home". if you still believe "MAGA", than you're criticising america... SO is Trump telling his MAGA's to go back home too?

5. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Having forcibly put a hijab on her head by a muslim woman is not racist. It's called assault.

6. Zenithal macrumors G3

Why do you have a pic of you wearing one of those animal heads from that certain store?

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

did anyone try that? I thought it was voluntary?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 20, 2019 ---
    cause they are cuter than I will ever be :(

8. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

According to her on the incident she tweeted out.

9. Zenithal macrumors G3

Was that at big W? I made a long trip a couple years ago to try out those unique grapes and I saw those. Haven't seen them elsewhere.

10. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Actually, it may of been voluntary, I took forcibly as meaning physically.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

If she didn't want to adhere to her employees rules, she shouldn't have applied/accepted the position.

12. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I could be wrong, but I think @jkcerda was being sarcastic.

I took the post as saying organizations such as MWA will label anyone with conservative views as racist, regardless of the facts.

MWA's claims of racism is just silly, and the stripping of the title is clearly just a politically motivated act on their part.

That's why they should be honest in their expectations and say "liberals only need apply".

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

@LordVic DID not find anything racist either, she does appear to lean right on somethings and then there is this
    from her twitter feed
    [​IMG]

14. LordVic macrumors 603

Yeah, I don't see racism either. in fact if you look further back she calls out many on the right for their racist beliefs.

she does seem a bit at odds though, further retweeting and supporting known racists... but she h erself i'm not sure.

however, again, this isn't a "left vs right" thing. A company is entitled to whatever political leanings they want to associate with. wasn't tha tthe whole point behind the "cake" fiasco? if you (general you, i'm going to start using the french word to cover this usage of "you" to avoid confusion in the future. so Vous = You generally)

But these people who would shout that a baker has every right not to do business with homosexuals are now screaming "CENSORSHIP" when business doesn't want to do business with them. it's just further evidence of the doublespeek and double standards republicans and conservatives demand.

15. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

agreed on red, stated as much on the first post. there is hypocrisy on the left when they pretend to be about inclusion and then exclude women with conservative views..

16. appleisking macrumors 6502a

They have every right to do whatever they want but that doesn’t mean we have to agree with it. We can still call out private companies on their stupidity.
    It’s unfortunately only inclusion on things they agree with

17. Glockworkorange, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019

Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

The term "racist" means nothing now. Everything is racist. Any criticism of a minority is racist, no matter the intent behind the criticism. In year 2019, even Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden are called (or implied to be) racist, which is laughable.

Also, she's a "person of color," but I guess she's just not your type of "person of color."

18. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Maybe I am not understanding your post, but based off of everything I see, I think it is a "left vs right" thing. This is clearly a politically motivated act by MWA. People at the MWA don't like the political leanings of Miss Michigan, so they labelled her a racist and stripped her of her title. How is that not a "left vs right" thing?

I agree with you on this.

A private company is entitled to whatever political leanings, and them stripping the title is also within their rights, but that doesn't mean people have to like it.

I am not a republican, but I would have to disagree with the two situations being the same.

In one of the cake incidences, the bakery was fined a lot of money for them following their political and religious leanings. The government is forcing private businesses to make something they do not want to make, for whatever reason, or they will be fined money.

BTW, I am a strong supporter of marriage, regardless of what genders are involved.

19. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

It’s amazing how ignorant people are over the whole bakery thing. The baker had no problem baking cakes for homosexuals. That’s not the issue. The baker had a problem with baking a cake for a gay wedding, specifically. That’s what the issue was. Had they just been two gay guys, they would’ve gotten their cake.

I mean, the two gay guys could’ve gone to any other baker, but they went to this guy specifically to have the request denied so they could then turn around and destroy his business.

Even today people are picking on this guy by asking him to bake cakes for parties related to transgender celebrations or sexual acts. It’s transparently bullying the guy.

20. raqball macrumors 68000

Click bait! I read the title as:

Miss Michigan stripped

and clicked it for photos..... :eek: :D :p

21. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Did I state something that was incorrect?

Yup, and it is messed up.

I didn't know this was happening, but I suspected that it might.

It is sad that this type of behavior is generally accepted.

22. LordVic macrumors 603

realize this doesn't make any sense right?

your argument can boil down analogously to "pine-apple pizza lovers aren't letting me in their pine-apple pizza lovers party because I hate pineapple pizza! UNFAIR!"

While the "left" in reality isn't excluding anyone. you are free to have conservative views and join a party that is free to support those conservative views. that is what equality is about, allowing everyone a chance to forge their own paths, inclusive of everyone else having equal and same opportunity.

spinning that in the way you did is nonsense and I have a feeling you knew that :p
    Yup! Absolutely! 100%. just like I then have the right if I disagreed with you, to counter protest your protest. then you also have the right to counter protest my counter protest.

I don't disagree. These are very examples of freedom of association and conciousness. it's up to the business to navigate those political issues in best for their shareholders. and for us, the consumers to pick and chose who we do business with.

the question that this organization has to ask itself. Which decision achieves their corporate goals more?

The really only time I'd say there's legit issue here, is if the government were to get involved. That would be IMHO an overstep. I'm of an opinion that a company is well within their rights to be racist vile pieces of ****. And I am 100% within my right to protest that company for their views, even if it ends up resulting in that companies failure. Companies and people are NOT immune to the consequences of their actions just because they hide behind a religious or political ideology.
    i was not aware of a 2nd "cake" case. The one I was referring to was the baker in Florida I believe. End result IIRC of the case was they were free to do what they wanted essentially.

23. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

I think that one congress PERSON, the Afro American
    No, sorry—I was responding to your post responding to someone else who said the guy wouldn’t bake a cake for “homosexuals.” That poster was incorrect and it’s mainly due to the fact the media always says something to the effect of “the baker who wouldn’t bake the cake for the gay couple,” which is sort of true but horribly misleading. This is a great example of why the right is always talking about “fake news;” the media doesn’t so much lie through their teeth, but they do lie by omission and half truths.

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

She had a Twitter account, and made a name for herself, as "PoliticalKathy." And she seemed to go out of her way to be provocative. For instance, she went up to an Islamic student booth, where they were offering a "Try on a Hijab" experience, and suggested

“So you're telling me that it's now just a fashion accessory and not a religious thing?” she tweeted, according to the Detroit Free Press. “Or are you just trying to get women used to being oppressed under Islam?”

You know what? That's free speech. But there are some jobs you can't do, if you have a side gig.

And you can't be Miss Michigan, if you go around deliberately insulting Muslims and Islam as part of your "PoliticalKathy" side gig. (There is, BTW, quite a large Islamic population in that state.)

And, in case you are wondering, "Try on a Hijab" is actually a thing.

I've worn a Kippah (as a non-Jew) when attending Jewish funeral services. I certainly felt no pressure to convert to Judaism, and did so out of respect for the departed, his family, and for his faith.

I would have been extremely discourteous - to say nothing of being at least vaguely anti-Semitic - for me to mock or sneer at the experience.

25. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

She knew her statements were intolerant. That's why she took them down herself. She'll milk this to the hilt. And conservative idiots will salivate to have a woman of color carry/spread their garbage.