Trump surges, nearly 20,000 Mass. Democrats quit party

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Technarchy, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

There are a lot of ways one can choose to see this, but I am inclined to think Trump's strong North East presence for decades is pulling in support in that region.

20K Dems is no small number to flip either.

[​IMG]

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us...early_20000_mass_voters_quit_democratic_party

The DNC better pull it's head out and get Bernie the nomination.

2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

If you read the last paragraph of the article there is this little disclaimer:
    Typical Boston Herald, leave out the permanent information until the very end. So basically the MA GOP had actually had a bigger drop percentage wise. Still 20,000 is a lot of people!

My sense as a Boston resident is Bernie vs. Hillary will be very close. Younger people away towards Bernie, older people Hillary - normalizing the two it seems like a close match, but I'm gonna guess Hillary will take it. A lot of young people don't have residency here as they're college students. Hell, I've been out of college for a few years now and my permanent address is still CT (that reminds me I need my absentee ballot).

They say Trump is killing it for the Mass GOP vote. I haven't found a single person who wants him elected. I think this is just now momentum making people vote for him.

I really wish all primaries were held on the same day. It seems ridiculous to me other states can possibly influence the outcome in other states depending upon how they vote. It would probably save the world a lot money too!

3. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I think one of those women is holding a sign that answers your mystery.

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Sorry, don't know the woman in the photo...

5. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

She'd be the one holding the "silent majority" poster, which might be an answer to your statement.

6. DakotaGuy, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016

DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

The only thing I can say that's similar about Trump and Clinton... No matter which one gets elected I honestly believe it'll be a one term Presidency.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

That's an excellent point. If--probably when--Hillary becomes POTUS, it will be evident that the monied 1% establishment corporatist oligarchic War Party remains firmly in power. However, the forces that brought us Trump and Bernie will still exist and over the next four years, the pressure will continue to increase. People are building a righteous anger in their hearts and a righteous steam in their souls, ready to blow. The fires will continue to be stoked...glowing red...a righteous steam, pressure building and building...rivets pop like rifle bullets as the edifice begins to shake and tremble...

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Stupidity, prejudice, poor judgement, unrealistic expectations, voting for one's perceived interests is a human characteristic, not limited to single political party. This is not an implication that I think the 20k Dems mentioned are necessarily stupid, as I listed other reasons. :)

9. FieldingMellish Suspended

Shocked nobody expressed indignation that the photo consists only of whites.

10. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I'm glad you're not lying when telling us your wild-assed guess.

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I'm convinced they must be hired Hahahahahhahah

12. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Yeah, Trump can't be bought, but his supporters sure can.

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

Go language, culture, borders! Without which, it's not a country.

14. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

You sound like Pauline Kael in the 1972 election:

Enjoy your delusion. :D

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Everyone is far too excited by the idea that we're five minutes from storming the Bastille.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well, seeing as the next crash is going to happen before or immediately after the election...I don't see an uprising being that far off.

The next crash will eliminate the decade of catch-up for the the boomer generation's 401k retirements which were devastated just 8/9 years ago. How many times can you destroy a generations future before they finally get that the system is broken? Twice in a decade seems like it's the tipping point, given how close the country was to demanding the banks be held to account last time.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Considering the history of popular revolts, we should be very, very wary.

18. jerwin macrumors 65816

Nearly 20,000 Bay State Democrats have fled the party this winter, with thousands doing so to join the Republican ranks, according to the state’s top elections official.

Secretary of State William Galvin said more than 16,300 Democrats have shed their party affiliation and become independent voters since Jan. 1, while nearly 3,500 more shifted to the MassGOP ahead of tomorrow’s “Super Tuesday” presidential primary.​

Might it be strategic voting?

I haven't decided whether to vote for Trump because he has so many negatives, or against Trump because he represents a clear and prseent danger to this country. On second thought, strategic voting is premised on "strategy", not "stalemates".

19. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Best quote of the week.

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The bi-polar revolution is coming. My scientific and unbiased analysis has determined that the conservative pole will channel Jefferson and Madison while the liberal pole will resemble the Khmer Rouge without a sense of humor.

21. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Today is revealing the true appeal, strength and amazing organization of the Trump Campaign. I'm surprised it's this strong given all the crybaby yet extremely wealthy donors and influencers Hillary has silently enlisted to destroy his chances. The rumors of trashing his credibility and more. Rumors of Republicans bringing in Romney, Trump is being attacked from every direction. All of which are having little if any effect. Potus has truly angered the country.

22. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

How many registered Republican just to influence the Republican primary?

23. Technarchy thread starter macrumors 604

Technarchy

That only works if it's close. It won't be. Trump is going to demolish everyone else.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You know Jefferson and Madison didn't agree on much of anything. If the conservatives channeled them both, they'd be pretty bi-polar indeed.

SMALLER GOVERNMENT! BUT BIGGER TOO! THIS TAXING AND SPENDING CLAUSE JUST BLOWS MY MIND!

edit: wait. I'm thinking of Hamilton, not Madison. FORGET EVERYTHING I'VE SAID!