Trump taking over Washington DC 4th of July celebrations

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 10, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

President Trump has effectively taken charge of the nation’s premier Fourth of July celebration in Washington, moving the gargantuan fireworks display from its usual spot on the Mall to be closer to the Potomac River and making tentative plans to address the nation from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, according to top administration officials.

The president’s starring role has the potential to turn what has long been a nonpartisan celebration of the nation’s founding into another version of a Trump campaign rally. Officials said it is unclear how much the changes may cost, but the plans have already raised alarms among city officials and some lawmakers about the potential impact of such major alterations to a time-honored and well-organized summer tradition.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...f428c0-733d-11e9-9eb4-0828f5389013_story.html

Why am I not surprised. I don’t think he’ll turn it into a campaign rally per se but I think he will turn it into Trump loves America and is the most patriotic president ever (I’m sure he’ll hug a flag for good measure) and anyone who doesn’t support this event (and by extension, him) isn’t. And his partisans will claim people who don’t support this are unpatriotic and anti-American. Just like they said those who were against a military parade were anti military. That’s how they’ll spin this.

2. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

So what. Where the celebration takes place is largely irrelivent. I find it a nice change of pace.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

I'm sure he'll say he brought July 4th back. That he brought patriotism back. That his July 4th is the biggest and best July 4th the world had ever seen.

4. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

I've heard London still has a figure balloon that could be reused to save a few $

5. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

So what? The “so what” is exactly what matters. Is Trump doing this because breaking tradition is best for America, or is he doing this as a way to appropriate tax funding for his own personal reelection?

6. Allyance macrumors regular

Allyance

I will be watching "A Capital Fourth" on PBS, as I have done for many years, switching to network coverage of other sites once in a while. Each to his own, but I am NOT going to listen to another Trump rant. He is taking a National Holiday and trying to make it about him. Man has a severe ego problem.

7. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Not the first time a President is pushing their own policies during 4th of July:

Immigration, health care & energy.

8. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

I believe A Capital Fourth is what Trump is taking over.
    --- Post Merged, May 11, 2019 ---
    Don’t like this either. Though it appears to have been Obama’s weekly presidential address and not the official 4th of July celebration at the Capital. Correct me if I’m wrong.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Last thing I’ll do on the Fourth is listening to the President.
    In order of importance:
    1) bbq with family
    2) beer
    3) bbq with ou without family
    4) more beer with or without family
    5) dessert
    6) collapse on the sofa
    17893) listen to the President.

And I am bipartisan in my priorities.

10. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

And Trump has now injected himself into the Independence Day celebration for hundreds of thousands of Americans. When I lived in downtown DC, I would go out on the Mall and enjoy the festivities and fireworks every year. There is zero chance that I would do that if I had to listen to that ******* Trump make some sort of speech.

11. eatrains macrumors 6502

Is he really that desperate for an audience?

(yes)

12. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Then don't go. Problem solved.

13. chown33, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019

chown33 macrumors 604

I would start with #2 in order to be primed for #1, unless #1 started with #2.

I'm not sure where I'd slot "Shoot off own fireworks" and the closely related "Mad dash for garden hose". Probably before #5 chronologically, because I always like my #5 and #6 after any fiery/watery interactions.