Trump tells California 'there is no drought'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, May 27, 2016.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

well here you go trump can fix anything. lets see how fat the trump whisperers think this is all true.
    http://bigstory.ap.org/fea527c86dfe42c78609619c5ce7fd59

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No drought? Those darn pesky rainstorms....they must be staying out at sea instead of raining over the land. Trump will show those clouds who's boss! :rolleyes:

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well those silly Californians have got to just stop shoving all their water into the sea.

Do you think Donald Trump believes half the crap that comes out of his mouth? Because its a scary thought if he does.

4. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

I sure he will fill every swimming pool too. Do a rain dance and bring the rain on. His follows will soon sport orange skin bad hair and eat at McDonald's.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

It's a simple negotiation between the CA state govt and Mother Nature. He will tell Mother Nature to make and rain and she will comply. Backup plan, Mexico will pump their water to California (<insert joke about dirty drinking water in Mexico?)

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm sure he'll bring in his best rainmakers for the job.

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's fun how the Trump supporters always disappear on threads like this. Some comments even they cannot defend. :D

8. Robisan macrumors 6502

What Digby said: Trump is "a vainglorious buffoon who has no clue what he's doing and thinks he's a genius."

9. maclancer macrumors regular

I have not idea how or why people love a bully, selfish, and a spoiled brat like Trump. I am a registered Republican and I am very sad to see in what the party has became and who represent as the presidential nominee. A shame!

10. cube, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016

cube macrumors G5

I think the idea is to win saying the maximum number of outrageous things.

On the other hand, maybe he meant there should be better water management.

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

There will be water and nature will pay for it!!!

12. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Just like with Iraq and how its oil paid for the war to liberate the people with, all while more of our own continue to see less and less liberty. Cool.
    --- Post Merged, May 28, 2016 ---
    I sincerely hope you're right. I believe that myself, but does Trump share our belief?

Especially as, with all these purportedly dumb comments he's been making, Candidate Clinton (presumed, I know) should be able to trounce him in the debates and on election day.

Has he spoken out about Nestle's forgetting to renew its water pumping contract in California? The one it's forgotten to renew for 27 years in a row?

13. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Best.

Thread.

Ever.

Who will Trump go after next, the sun for making it too hot and dry?

14. cube, May 28, 2016

cube macrumors G5

I was thinking being maybe more selective regarding the kind of crops that you grow.

And I guess have more Japanese rock gardens.

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The people at the Trump rally actually booed a three inch fish. I'll let that sink in for a little while.

On one hand, you do have to credit Trump with raising an important issue that simply hasn't gotten much attention so far this campaign season. On the other, its pretty illustrative of the catastrophically bad management and leadership skills of Donald Trump. His mind-numbing ignorance; his willingness to say almost anything (regardless of practicality, legality, morality, etc.)

Lets be clear about a couple of things: California and the West cannot solve their water problems by pumping water from the Great Lakes or Pacific Northwest. Geography and geology get in the way. Even if it were possible to build tunnels and pipelines that distance, the cost of providing electric power to pump water that far, and over the elevation changes involved, would be prohibitive. It would be far cheaper to build massive desalinization plants in California and take water out of the ocean. And maybe we ought to think about doing that.

The other problem with Trumpism is that it ignores pretty much every basic fact about how water is managed. That the President simply does not have the power to dictate policy over the way water is managed in California. That water rights going back more than a century; various international treaties; and a variety of state and federal agencies. It ignores the most basic facts of water use in California: The water that is "shoved into the ocean" is used to prevent the San Joaquin River estuary - and the thousands of square miles of productive farmland it contains - from being poisoned by the seepage of salt water from the ocean.

Maybe the "Farmers for Trump" who cheered him at his rally yesterday don't know this. But what would the other California farmers - those a hundred miles downstream - whose fields and livelihoods would be destroyed by Trump's call to "open up the water" - have to say?

And what would Donald Trump say to them? Chances are, he'd say completely the opposite of what he said yesterday.

16. cube macrumors G5

So you're "desalinizing" the sea. I guess those plants would be the better way.

If the Middle East has them, why not your desert state?

If PC and device sales are down, here's another market.

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

18. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

for sure the apologizers are waiting for this to blow over.

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I'm sorry to hear that. Are they sure?

20. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

hey he admitted it it was hard enough don't antagonize him.

21. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I'm sure Hillary's laugh is probably to blame for the drought that is not happening ;)

22. Robisan macrumors 6502

Trump probably sees this old guy Bernie yelling at the clouds up and down the state and figures there must be rain.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Because being a bullying, selfish, spoiled brat is the in thing in politics this season. Some people are making the unfortunate mistake of assuming personality flaws as assertiveness.

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk, May 28, 2016

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Water rights out west are a funny thing. Depending on where you are and what kind of rights you have, they can cost $0 per acre-foot, or, $700 per acre-foot, or, $infinity-per-acre-foot. The problem with desalination of sea water is that it is very, very energy intensive and costs around $2300 per acre-foot or more. Economic for domestic use, but, generally not economic for agriculture, and, most water is used in agriculture.

Which tells me that "Farmers for Trump" probably wants you and me to buy desalinated water for them at $2300 per acre-foot and sell it to them, the farmers, at $700 per acre-foot. Don't worry -- we'll make it up in volume. ;)

25. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

California is basically a desert.

Why do people live there? One day, man might wise up and realise that some environments are simply not suitable for living in.