Trump thanks Vladimir Putin for expelling 755 US diplomatic staff: 'We're going to save a lot of $"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Aug 10, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wow, the guy just can't resist complementing Putin every chance he gets. He treats Putin better than some of his own cabinet!

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/t...-going-to-save-a-lot-of-money/article/2631199

Well glad he thinks they served no purpose and were only an expense. Thanks Putin. :rolleyes: Although he should really be thanking congress as if not for them and their sanctions bill, the diplomats would still be there.

2. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Epic Face Palm

Seriously, Putin B***slaps the US, and Trump compliments Putin.

The State Department is probably livid.

3. darksithpro macrumors 6502

Generally curious, why do we need over a thousand diplomats staffed in and around Moscow anyways? Didn't some you guys say most of them are spies with diplomatic immunity anyways?

4. SoggyCheese macrumors 6502

SoggyCheese

Great. Trump alienates Congress and the State Department even further. He's going to end up leaving office with absolutely zero achievements if he keeps this up.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 10, 2017 ---
    Did you just answer your own question?

5. darksithpro macrumors 6502

Yea, but it's a joke in itself, as both sides know it from that start. Hence the reason they are being removed.

6. HEK Suspended

HEK

What State Department. Maybe you have not heard most everyone left or was let go. Not being replaced.

trump saving money left and right on staff so he can afford all the golf outings.

7. SoggyCheese macrumors 6502

SoggyCheese

Ah I see. Sorry, I'm new here. I'll need a bit of time to get into the swing of all this elitist clique tomfoolery :p

8. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Russia removed them to get back at us for removing theirs and over the sanctions.

9. darksithpro macrumors 6502

That doesn't answer my question. Why do we need over a thousand diplomats in Russia?

10. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Well, everyone going to leave now (but leave the lights on)

11. HEK Suspended

HEK

Spying
    Spying

12. darksithpro macrumors 6502

13. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O Hmmm...

Let's try this thing called google. I type... "Why so many diplomats"?

Google says

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40780841

"Still most of the people who work at the embassy and in other US offices in Russia are not spies or spymasters; most, in fact, are not even US citizens. They're Russian.

Of the 1,279 people who worked at the embassy in 2013, according to a 2013 inspector general report, 934 were locally hired.

The Russian staff help to organise events, process visas, fix computers and otherwise keep the place running. For them, Putin's announcement was troubling.

"These people will lose their jobs," said Yuval Weber, a fellow at the Wilson Center in Washington.

It also means that Russians will have a harder time getting visas for their trips to the US: at this point, he said, it takes two to five weeks for them to get a visa. With a reduced staff, it will take longer."

14. darksithpro macrumors 6502

So, Putin just put a lot of his own people in the unemployment line?

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Aren't some of these offices actually vacation estates?

16. HEK Suspended

HEK

So when Trump said Putin saving US money, once again he is lying.

Good grief can this orange headed clown open his mouth without voicing a lie?

17. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I saw Trumps statement more as a dig at Putin.
    Basically saying that you didn't hurt me, you inadvertently helped me.
    That's what I got out of it.
    No... U.S. diplomats are not Russian citizens.
    You're confusing Embassy staff with diplomats. Not the same thing.

18. darksithpro macrumors 6502

I took it as the us saving money, by not employing almost a thousand local workers, meaning Russian workers.

I assume right before they all leave, the Russians will see something similar to this:

19. HEK Suspended

HEK

Well which is it, 755 US diplomats expelled saving US taxpayer money or mostly Russian employees making trump a lier once again.

And yes of course trump said it as a dig. Most everything trump says is either a dig at someone, if you have not noticed. Trump can do no wrong, just ask him. It's always someone else.

How presidential........nah nah nah nah nah......people wanna love me. I love me, so should you all.

Good grief !!

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

755 diplomats wernt kicked out.

755 personel were.

21. bopajuice macrumors 65816

bopajuice

To make the transition easier when Trump announces we are merging with Russia.

22. darksithpro macrumors 6502

Not sure I follow you. This is the result of the Obama admin kicking out Russian diplomats and confiscating their vacation homes, along with the overwhelming majority in the house and senate for the Russian sanctions bill. How exactly is this Trump's problem? This was completely out of his control and congress took away his ability to mend things with Russia, without congressional approval.

23. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Gotcha.
    Had to go dig up the original press release as all the current stuff I find are calling them diplomats.
    CBSNEWS, WaPo, etc, all keep using that term.

The U.S. still paid their salaries, not Russia.

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

25. HEK Suspended

HEK

No it's a result of the sanctions bill signed last week by the president. Congress overwhelminling voted for it. It is in addition to the sanctions already in place. Hence the retaliation by Putin. He signed it didn't he. Had he vetoed it and congress voted to proceed, then you could say Trumpster had nothing to do with it.

And of course congress took away trump's unilateral control to remove sanctions. If he wants sanction reduced all he has to do is make a convincing case before congress, a co-equal branch of our government.

As much as a few may want it, trump is not yet dictator in chief.