Trump thinks movies and video games need a ratings system

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Feb 22, 2018.

1. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

2. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Eh, I mean, in fairness video games are rated, but the ratings aren’t very consistent across platforms. Mobile games are rated differently than console games for example.

I think the real problem is that people don’t take these ratings very seriously anymore. It used to be the case that a kid wouldn’t be allowed into an R rated movie, now parents bring them all the time.

3. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Boy I tell ya you are on a roll with the threads today. Attention turns towards guns and the frenzy begins.

4. juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

The rest of the world watches the same movies and plays the same video games. I wouldn’t look there for a culprit.

5. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Waiting for Trump's tweet on book banning. He may have to be prompted on that one LOL.

6. NickG420 macrumors regular

NickG420

I take his comment to mean possibly a separate rating system for the level of violence in a game or movie, not that he did not think there was such thing as a rating system.

7. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Agreed but is comment comes across like he didn’t know movies and video games have ratings. The WH staff should really limit the instances where he’s able to riff & ramble. Give him talking points and tell him to stick to them. It probably wouldn’t work but the should try it anyway.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2018 ---
    So what are the ratings for now then?

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Come on - didn't he have a screening of some animated movie in the WH last year? Did they FF past the MPAA screen?

9. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Appeasement?

10. NickG420 macrumors regular

NickG420

I am sure that the level of violence is considered as part of the current ratings system, however if there was a separate rating for violence only perhaps that would make it easier for parents to decide what games and movies to allow their children to watch.

I mean there are plenty of rated R movies that have zero violence but just the Rating of R itself does not tell you that.

11. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Me either but it's true that the rest of the world thinks reality TV is one thing, reality another.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

This is classic Trump though

It wasn't just enough to comment on violence in movies. He had to compare it with sex. That someone could not be allowed to see a movie that had sex, but could see a lot of violence.

13. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Which is the exact opposite of what a lot of shrinks say, no?

14. cube macrumors P6

I am not so sure with the kind of content the US exports.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...ts-we-need-some-sort-rating-system-them.shtml

[​IMG]

16. GermanSuplex, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018

GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

This is old and tired. Yeah, let’s regulate the fake violence and video game guns so we can make more real ones. I haven’t heard many conservatives talk about this in some time because even they know it’s B.S.

Trump is really dragging the GOP to the past.

17. Leguna24, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018

Leguna24 Suspended

Leguna24

Are we in some time machine that has blown us back to the 80’s?

Everything but guns. Hilarious.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

19. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

This isn’t about making a better ratings system. It’s about gun violence and how to curb it.

While we’re at it, let’s discuss food illnesses and outbreaks.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It's actually about facepalming the comment by Trump as if the rating system we currently have isn't extremely flawed, I never said the rating system worked, but the one that's in place is a joke.

21. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m saying the rating system has no discussion in this debate. Ok, we can have RPG video games of Little House on the Prairie and replace Suicide Squad with two hours of white paint drying on a wall. It won’t solve gun crime.

I find it funny the GOP are against political correctness, but have an issue with stuff like this.

The only definite statistic we have is that more guns equals more gun deaths. Pretty simple. If you own a gun, you are more likely to be killed by it than someone else’s.

*Oh, and here is the ultimate irony: gun bans and restrictions won’t reduce gun crime (NRA/GOP fundraising lie). But a rating system will curb viewership? I guess dad hiding his nudie mags under the bed stopped his kids from viewing them, right? I hate to be blunt, but we all need to wake up and get ****ing real.