Trump threatens General Motors

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Everybody knew this was coming. And the #MAGA crowd will cheer it on like they cheer everything Trump does. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

he has a good point, and GM should close anyways because of their crappy cars, add Ford there as well

3. samcraig macrumors P6

You beat me to this.

How is this America First? He's nothing more than a bully. But let me ask you - just because you called out other tweets - how is this not another shiny new object?

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

simple, keep the plants open and jobs here........but I am fine if they close.

5. Rigby macrumors 601

6. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

You know what, I don't generally agree/support government intervention in business decisions, be it subsidies/tariffs/quotas/bailouts/etc...

But it seems like the big auto-manufacturers(management) took the bailouts, and are now 'bullying' the workers, whose taxes were used to bail them out. I generally don't agree with the current administration's economic policies, but i am all in favor of getting rid of government subsidies, even if the reason is no more than spite.

It's good to see someone standing up for the working class in America, over other countries, cause it sure seems like those unions and their political buddies(the left) are useless. IMHO

Question: is it true that GM plants in cheap-labor countries are not affected?

7. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

The government shouldn’t dictate where private companies have factories. Crony capitalism isn’t capitalism.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 27, 2018 ---
    I can’t stand the term “working class”. I have a job. I show up for work every day. But because it’s in an office at a desk behind a computer screen I’m not considered “working class”. Such BS.

8. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

By who? My job entails the same thing, and i consider myself “working class”.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Actually, his tweet is pure hypocrisy. This is the person who is a businessman and as such has expanded his businesses due to one of the most cherished principles of the Conservatives in this country. And again, I have to ask where that principle has gone to all of you:

what the hell ever happened to the conservative principle of FREE MARKET ENTERPRISE!?

They certainly don't seem to care when the market is up and they are doingwhatever they want to please their shareholders, including making cars for cheaper so they can increase their bottom line. But the moment they do that in making a business decision within their own right (Corporations are people too, my friend) the government wants to trash them?

Again, with Donald Trump, a lot of conservatives, including a few in this group, have really sold out their principles to follow a hack that doesn't have a clue as to what he is doing. Sad.

Exactly. Free. Market. Enterprise.

BL.

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Well the first mistake you made is thinking Trump is a conservative. The second is thinking of him as your everyday run of the mill politician.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

there is nothing "Capitalist" about bailing them out either, the market should rule here.
    what"free" market? we bailed them out and subsidize them/ give them tax breaks blah blah blah

12. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

What? That’s not what working class means at all...

13. bradl, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And back at you: your first mistake is thinking that I am questioning Trump. I am not; nor do I think of him as an ordinary politician...

He is worse. MUCH WORSE.

And you miss the point entirely: I am not questioning Trump; I am questioning Conservatives and their principles.

BL.

14. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

@bradl they shouldn’t have been bailed out with taxpayer money either.

But alas, they were. Hopefully they wont get any more government intervention by way of subsidies going forward.

As a conservative, Yay for free markets with less government intervention.

Since you probably hate free markets and capitalism, hows N.Korea, Cuba and Venezuela working out for you? Better/worse?

15. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Bolstering about lost jobs on twitter really doesn't do anything, that's just the global marketplace. We pasted the point of no return long ago, but it's not just the jobs at these plants that will be lost, also jobs at suppliers in the US.

I worked in the OEM parts supply industry for a very long time and it's not just blue collar factory workers, it's also the white collar jobs, and all the jobs these plants support throughout the economy.

Passed Congress and Presidents sold out the American worker long ago, and no amount of demagoguery by Trump, or anyone else will ever bring those jobs back.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

there is a difference between capitalism and corporatism,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, GM and Ford should have never been bailed out. and honestly hope they close due to their crappy cars/trucks.

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Show me the conservatives who are trying to take GM to the woodshed over the plants shutting down? Not just one or two (if you can find them), show me enough to constitute the MAJORITY. Until then saying "I'm questioning conservatives" is howling at the wind.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I agree with that. They shouldn't have been bailed out with taxpayer money.

Then again, Neither should have United, Continental, Delta, TWA, NWA, Lockheed Martin, and a flurry of others going back to the mid 1970s.

So riddle me this: Why is this decision, a decision being railed up and down the conservative spectrum, a problem, when, as you say, "yay for free markets and less government intervention?" Trump shouldn't have made any comment about this so conservative principles wouldn't fall under scrutiny.

Here is where you are wrong in your assumption. Completely, totally, laughably wrong. But I'll also leave you with a homework assignment. You are free to take leave and search through this forum to find any post where I have stated that I hate free markets and capitalism.

I'll await your response with a "my bad, got that wrong."

BL.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

1 glad we agree here, no bailout for anyone
    2 because Trump SHOULD call out GM AFTER bailing them out
    3 too late, the GOVT already intervened so trump is correct to call them out.

20. Alaxlmartin macrumors regular

Alaxlmartin

Stop producing your own sh** in China hypocrite

21. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Seems like Trump wants to run GM like it is his business. He is actually implementing communist regime leaders policies. This is how dictators dictate policies to others.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

that I agree with, trump is a do as I say not as I do kind of guy.

23. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

GM bringing jobs back, MAGA, nobody has done more this country than me, I alone can fix these things!
    GM closing down jobs, its all on her, not me... very dissapointed!

24. samcraig macrumors P6

I thought Trump was the best deal maker.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

like Obama did with Chrysler?
    https://www.cnbc.com/id/29956752
    not as bad as Obama, remember Solyndra? 1/2 billion lost there............
    trump is trying to keep GM here , I say let them close.