Trump threatens journalists, calls their questions stupid and demands respect

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Nov 9, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

He's disgusting. Truly. You can't defend this. His statements about Ryan and Phillip? And he's the last person who should talk about the White House and the presidency commanding respect while he craps on it daily.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/09/...ers-april-ryan.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

When you’re in the White House, this is a very sacred place for me, a very special place,” Mr. Trump said as he left Washington for a brief jaunt to Paris. “You have to treat the White House with respect. You have to treat the presidency with respect.”

You talk about somebody that’s a loser; she doesn’t know what the hell she’s doing,” Mr. Trump said of Ms. Ryan, in an unprompted diatribe. “She gets publicity, and then she gets a pay raise or a contract with, I think, CNN. But she’s very nasty. And she shouldn’t be. She shouldn’t be. You’ve got to treat the White House and the office of the presidency with respect.”

Mr. Trump also laced into another African-American journalist, Abby Phillip of CNN, who asked the president if he wanted the new acting attorney general, Matthew G. Whitaker, to “rein in” the investigation being led by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III.

“What a stupid question that is,” the president replied to Ms. Phillip. “What a stupid question. But I watch you a lot — you ask a lot of stupid questions.”

2. profmatt macrumors 68000

profmatt

He is not going to change.

The press / media need to change.

Specifically they need to stop playing his game. They need to stop quoting and analysing every tweet he posts. They need to stop asking him questions. They need to stop going to White House press conferences.

It’s all utterly futile. It simply serves to rile people up and distract them from actual things that are actually happening.

3. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Yet millions of americans still support trump. Trump and White House are #1 for fake news.

You get what you vote for.

ROTFL.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Excuse me, Mein Furor, but you respect the White House so much that you referred to it as a "dump".

5. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

President Trump needs to stop disrespecting black journalists the way he's been doing lately. Among other things (including future impact on black voters?) it looks and feels a lot like a campaign pitch to his white nationalist fans.

Wasn't he bragging at some point about how many black people he figures favor his re-election? This is not how to ramp those numbers up, I should think.

Trump acts with disrespect to more people in public than any elected official I have ever observed. Anyone who crosses his path is potentially part of his big-mouth, big-tweet, highly personalized shooting gallery for that day.

And to top it off he projects his own behavior onto others, accusing them of not respecting him. Makes the head spin, really. It's rare I can even watch or listen to him speaking any more. I'm better off reading transcripts so I'm at a little remove from the immediacy of his insults, especially as uttered on video.

6. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Of course it is - it doesn't have gold-plated toilet seats.

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Let's not also forget that any remote accent and Trump can't understand them

8. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

:D He must not have revisited his boyhood borough of Queens for awhile...

From the Wiki citation:

9. mudslag, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018

mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

I am curious as to what would happen if the media went full on black out of Trump and his admin, how Trump would react.

It might be like 9/11 when all air traffic was grounded and the sky cleared for a day.

10. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

Rumor has it, Greg Gianforte might be around during future press conferences at WH...

11. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

We'd see a complete implosion of Trump's supporting infrastructure. Fox and Friends, and whoever maintains his piles of clipplngs and adjusts the TV sets when he thinks they must not be working, etc. All crashing to a halt. The one thing Trump probably can't stand is a supermassive black hole of media covfefe.

I dream about it sometimes :cool: from a news junkie's viewpoint, visualizing the shock as reporters around the world realize their pieces about "anything else" will get page one bylines that day.

12. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

If you estimate that the US has 350 million people and then reckon that 3% of those people are abnormal you get roughly 10.5 million people are abnormal (like Trump) or have issues. Those with issues have no problems finding others like them for support lol.. Like manufacturing figure any where from 1-3% defect rate :confused:

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Couldn't agree more.

Trump is the world's worst attention whore. The best thing possible is for the entire White House Press Corps to simply stop attending daily briefings.

Reporting on the Trump White House is like trying to put out a dumpster fire by vigorously blowing on it. Far better to just the whole stinking mess burn itself out.

14. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Even given that there's a wide range of "issues" that people may end up having to struggle with (or capitalize on...), it's alarming to imagine there could be even a few hundred thousand people who are geared up pretty much like Donald Trump.

I was shocked that someone like Trump could even win a Presidential election in the USA. At first I was focused on that, on his manner, his behavior, it was all about him, him, him...

However, you've pegged my later-arriving shock correctly: realization of how many millions of people voted for him, and how many really avid fans he still has.

Not to suggest Trump is close to unique or even all that special. But, he's parlayed his character defects and personality... quirks?... into a world class gaslighting machine, at the very least. Even while he carries on, a part of me wonders how this is even possible. Where are those convincing enough to impart the news that this guy is truly an emperor with no clothes?

I said once to a fan of his, "you know, he's so erratic and off the wall that even the stuff that works out ok for him (and us, big maybe) is just luck of the draw, like a stopped clock being right twice a day."

For that I got a blank stare followed by a defense of Trump along lines of "you're just shocked that he's different and he makes it work."

That's true, sort of. I don't happen to agree that it's really working.

We should probably be counting our lucky stars that hundreds more of his near-doppelgangers haven't managed to emulate his success in somehow becoming enough of a celebrity wacko to cause millions of people to award them great political power.

One guy like Trump on the planet in a high place at one time is almost more risk than one imagines the planet can logically survive. But see there I go again, making it sound like he's all that unique. Not sure I should give him that much credit. But, discounting him seems even more dangerous. It's how he sort of sneaked up on the rest of us back in 2016.

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I have to admit that remains the most horrifying aspect of this entire experience.

That so many millions of my fellow citizens could have voted for that man. I've lived amongst white Americans my entire life. They seem, for the most part, to be sensible, generous, decent, honest, God-fearing people.

How so many of them could vote for this blatant fraud is a mystery I doubt I'll ever understand.

Trump will eventually be egested from our body politic. But whatever fatal defect that led so many millions, including more than of a few people I considered friends, will remain.

16. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

As you can see Trump does have fans. Some people love his policies and love what he says. Say anything against him and you get “Booed”..

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/...lm-festival-actor-tries-pulling-him-off-stage

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I wonder why Trumps supporters on here never seem to defend him on threads like this? Probably cringing secretly.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Certainly cringing secretly. They know Trump is awful.

The only reason they like him is because of sports team politics. Of course he’s a loser now too.

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

20. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

This is kind of like saying if there was a T-Rex romping through Sand Diego destroying property and consuming citizens, the press and the nation should ignore it because it's a stupid T-Rex. :) :p
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2018 ---
    Seriously most of the time this ugly mug appears on my screen, I hit the mute button as a head ache preventative.

21. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

I get why the GOP, the top 10%, evangelicals and big business overlook his many flaws. He's given them what they want even if they have to hold their noses while receiving it, a classic case of making a deal with the devil.

I think his popularity among ordinary citizens is revealing of a dark side of American culture. Some of his supporters like that he's a bully, that he verbally attacks people, encourages and applauds physical attacks and treats women as objects of sexual conquest . Some of his supporters want to find someone else to blame for their economic situation and are eager to put that blame on foreigners, while it should be put on the very people and entities that Trump's GOP is rewarding. And finally, one cannot ignore racism and a desire to bring back the days when, as Archie Bunker used to sing, "guys like us we had it made." Trump intentionally appeals to these people. That he lies constantly, is lazy and ignorant and his campaign conspired with Russia to win the election are secondary.

But we should keep in mind that roughly half of all eligible voters took part in the 2016 election, and roughly half of those voted for Trump so his so-called base is about 1/4 of the voting population. Also, the mid-term election results give hope that Trump's luster is fading.

22. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

He is very ignorant and arrogant. When ignorant and arrogant people are asked good questions that they find not to their likings they refer to those questions as “Stupid Questions” ;)

23. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

So I'm not the only one. I can no longer tolerate hearing the lies.

24. Rhonindk, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018

Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    The media, the WHPC, has predominately become infotainment creators instead of reporters.
    Unfortunately irrespective of the source, most political news these days is spun, twisted, exaggerated, omitted, or just plain made up. True factual political reporting is a very rare commodity these days and has been for quite a few years. These days it has gotten worse from all sides.
    Since 2016 elections, the more than a few Trump Hater and Democratic zealots have made that an effort in futility.
    I have seen very few open discussions here. Even discussion made in a lighter tone trigger poor discussions. Irrespective of the topic, someone from the anti-Trump side always pulls him into the conversation.

As a supporter in the middle, I look more at accomplishments instead of verbal. You can’t trust most of what is said. I have seen little in this thread that encourages any kind of discussion or debate.
    Closed or set minds.

25. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

I’ve been saying all along that the worst thing we could ever do to Trump is ignore him. The problem is that once responsible journalists stop reporting on him, the only perspective we will have on the President will come from his own propaganda servants like Fox News.

CNN, Trump’s favorite adversary, published this
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/opin...corps-should-walk-out-opinion-intl/index.html