Trump threatens to 'take away media's credentials' over negative news stories about him

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, May 9, 2018.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Can't get favorable coverage? Take away their First Amendment rights. BTW, quoting what you say word for word is not "fake news".

From the Independent
    “The Fake News is working overtime.” the US president tweeted. ”Just reported that, despite the tremendous success we are having with the economy & all things else, 91% of the Network News about me is negative (Fake).

“Why do we work so hard in working with the media when it is corrupt? Take away credentials?”

2. raqball macrumors 68000

But are some news reporters and companies even considered as credible, reliable and unbiased media anymore? More like tabloid trash reporting if you ask me.

3. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Right, the only "real and unbiased" news out there is Fox News and right wing AM radio, everyone knows this.

4. raqball macrumors 68000

Who said that? I certainly didn't.

Is this just another anti Trump rant or do you wish to discuss the topic? If it's another anti Trump rant then I'll take a pass on responding further.

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

He starts hitting the 1a too much someones going to pull a 2a on him

6. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

7. jerwin macrumors 68020

The Tabloids have really cleaned up their act.

[​IMG]

all the new york times needs to do to get into Trump's good graces is to accept bribes from Mr Cohen's shell companies.

8. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Yes, the Washington Post and New York Times have generally done a very good job of covering this administration. Trump’s problem is that he thinks that “negative” stories proves bias, but coverage of a catastrophe is, by definition, negative.

9. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Threatening the people’s amendment rights? Oh the irony!

10. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I think you’re confused, we narrowly averted a catastrophe by not electing Hillary.

11. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Not exactly sure I'm reading this right but in any case as a person who thinks he's the worst president in history I would certainly never wish him any harm. He was voted in fairly and legally by the current system and the people have decided. That said, if he gets ousted on corruption charges, resigns (Nixon style) or is voted out I'm all in with that.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

13. jerwin macrumors 68020

What an inchoate statement. Do you read the news?
    --- Post Merged, May 9, 2018 ---
    Lots of quislings in this government.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'll admit I had to look up "inchoate".. XD

just begun and so not fully formed or developed; rudimentary.

15. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

It's both, because Trump is an idiot not afraid to take away rights - that includes yours, whether you support him or not if you are a U.S. Citizen - and everyone talks about "they'll take our guns away! It's our second amendment right!", but right there, plain as day, the President is talking about infringing upon the first amendment.

Trump is a joke. This is absolutely an anti-Trump rant, and a defense of the media. They are entwined.
    As opposed to the orange monsoon of morons.

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Trump is a banana-republican strongman who would rather hide the White House from reporters than actually govern in a coherent, legitimate way.

That's the takeaway.

17. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

You read that correctly.

18. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Fair enough, if they don't like him, respect the will of the people and work to vote him out.

19. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Yes, Hillary's "No Fly Zone" plan in Syria would have been a major disaster. That would require literally destroying the Syrian airforce which would have escalated into a full blown warfare in the region.

That said, the neocons of the Bush administration are running the Trump foreign policy now. We're clearly being goaded into a war with Iran with the unaccountable policy shapers in DC and the Israeli government.

20. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Let's not forget Rupert Murdoch owns the WaPo....

21. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

To be fair, he probably thought it was like being a CEO.

22. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Wouldnt be an issue if people didnt just stick to their partisan news source of choice to form opinions. Those outlets cater to their core readers because most people are only looking for affirmation. Very few people I know especially on these forums claim they try to understand issues from both sides of the isle and get their news from non partisan outlets.

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Actually the take away is that the relationship between Trump and the news media has been contentious from the very get go and this is just part of the banter.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You definitely don't get it.

The government can not remove that rights of the people in retribution from what the people say or print in the press.

The people can, however, vote for others to be elected into congress to pass or repeal laws.

Trump is doing the former because he can't stand up, put on his big boy pants, cop criticism, man or woman, and get on with his job, and let the results from his work shut up his detractors. Instead he acts like a bullying baby who whinges because the big bad press can't say anything nice about him because he truly isn't nice.

You're trying to equate that as the latter, which is mindblowingly hilarious.

BL.

25. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Bad tweet. Dumb thing to say. If you want to tweet out that the press is lying then tweet out an example of it. Negative, while possibly being skewed, is not fake. And threatening to take away credentials? Dumb dumb dumb.
    As far as "working with the media," that is something that has happened over time and it's a bad thing. You aren't there to "work with" the media. They are there to report on what is going on. Sure, we can all debate how they report on things sometimes, but that is their role and it's an important one.
    Taking away credentials is not really taking away their rights. The very fact that they need credentials to get in shows that they aren't operating with total access protected by 1A.