Trump to bring back Bush Admin torture tactics: “I like it a lot. I don’t think it’s tough enough.”

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bent christian, Jun 29, 2016.

1. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Donald Trump offered renewed support on Tuesday for the use of torture while repeatedly comparing a proposed free trade agreement to rape.

Trump, who has often praised the use of waterboarding and has spoken positively about alleged war crimes committed by American troops, said at a campaign rally, “We have to fight fire with fire”, after referencing the penchant for beheadings by Isis.

The presumptive Republican nominee claimed that while the terrorist group committed a range of atrocities including beheadings and drowning prisoners, the US was afraid to even use waterboarding. In Trump’s opinion, this left Isis believing that the US was weak and stupid and it needs to “fight so viciously and violently” to combat the threat.

Trump also renewed his praise of waterboarding, which was banned by the Bush administration in 2006 as both potentially illegal and ineffective. “What do you think about waterboarding?” Trump asked the crowd. They cheered as he gave his answer: “I like it a lot. I don’t think it’s tough enough.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/28/donald-trump-ohio-rally-isis-torture-tpp-rape

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

silly donald, Obama armed the terrorist and trained them , even went as far as waiving anti terrorism provisions so he could do so legally. but it's ok, he did back ground checks on terrorist , LMMFAO.

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

He is really back and forth on this issue. He said this long ago, then when it was pointed out that his ideas violated the Geneva convention he back downed and said no, we wouldn't do that and now he's back out there again wanting us to behave as every much the animal that the terrorist are. Fight fire with fire indeed. :rolleyes:

4. bent christian, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016

bent christian thread starter Suspended

bent christian

Although it didn't actually happen, Trump's Military® would look something like this:

“[Philippines] were having terrorism problems just like we do. And [Pershing] caught 50 terrorists who did tremendous damage and killed many people. And he took the 50 terrorists, and he took 50 men, and he dipped 50 bullets in pig’s blood."

"[Pershing] had his men load his rifles and he lined up the 50 people, and they shot 49 of those people. And the 50th person he said: you go back to your people and you tell them what happened.
    ” - Donald Trump; February, 2016
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2016 ---
    On using waterboarding as a punitive measure:

“Would I approve waterboarding? You bet your ass I would. In a heartbeat. I would approve more than that. It works. And if it doesn’t work, they deserve it anyway for what they do to us”. - Donald Trump; September, 2015

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Oh, please. Just stop with your ridiculous nonsense. Its tiresome, its predictable, and its just flat out untrue. I don't know how many times your changing the subject; deflecting; b/s has to be pointed out to you.

OK? This is about DONALD TRUMP.

A person who is, apparently quiet seriously, advocating that the United States engage in war crimes. Like torture. Like looting and pillage.

As I've pointed out before, there are sometimes difficult decisions to make in the fight against terrorism. Things such as surveillance. And drone strikes. Sending advisors and Special Ops troops to dangerous areas. All those issues, I think, reasonable people can discuss and hold differing opinions on.

But what I think no reasonable person ought to support is a man who brags about planning to commit what are undeniably described as crimes against humanity on a vast scale.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

While I don't agree with JK's blunt way of putting it, it's no secret that the USA had certain prisoners transferred via private jet (specifically non military) to third party nations to maintain plausible deniability in torturing them. Client states included Egypt, Israel, and Poland using USA operated black sites.

We did, and still do explicit war crimes. That's a fact.

But hey, a democrat is in office. So no biggie. I guess it's only worth talking about when politicians are open about it, instead of just hiding it off the radar.

7. Jess13, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016

Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

And Hillary was for Bush-era brutal torture before she was “against” it.

Clinton changed on torture

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...b/01/barack-obama/clinton-changed-on-torture/

After naming a number of areas where he said Clinton and McCain had the same positions, Obama attacked Clinton for diverging from McCain on the issue of torture. Clinton "actually differed with him by arguing for exceptions for torture before changing positions when the politics of the moment changed," Obama said.

It sounds a little convoluted, so here's the step-by-step.

In October 2006, Clinton spoke about exceptions to a no-torture policy when speaking to the New York Daily News. Clinton mentioned a "ticking time bomb" scenario in which a captured terrorist has knowledge of an imminent terror attack and interrogators want to use torture.

"In the event we were ever confronted with having to interrogate a detainee with knowledge of an imminent threat to millions of Americans, then the decision to depart from standard international practices must be made by the president, and the president must be held accountable," she said. "That very, very narrow exception within very, very limited circumstances is better than blasting a big hole in our entire law."

Then, on Sept. 26, 2007, Clinton said something different. During a debate, Tim Russert asked her about the ticking bomb scenario and here's what she said: "As a matter of policy, it cannot be American policy, period." She said she met with military generals who told her there is "very little evidence that it works."

In the days after the debate, the Republican National Committee criticized her for flip-flopping, and Obama said he would oppose torture "without exception or equivocation," according to Daily News reports.

Did Clinton change position because of her talks with the generals or because of the "politics of the moment"? We can't see inside Clinton's head, so our ruling doesn't reflect on that part of the statement. But it is clear she changed her mind about the "ticking bomb" scenario. So we rate Obama's claim True.

cf.jpg

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The Geneva Convention does not apply to combatants who do not wear a uniform (indeed, failing to wear a uniform and engaging in combat violates the Geneva Convention, hence the use of 'illegal combatants'). From what I understand, the US Supreme Court has ruled that Gitmo detainees should be treated as though they are POW's covered by the Geneva Convention.

In any case, the use of waterboarding was advised to Dubya's administration by a pair of idiot money-grubbing contractors who seriously misunderstood and misapplied psychological research. Torture and waterboarding might be very good at making a victim compliant, but it does not allow the extraction of accurate information. This is just another example of Trump trying to appeal to basic instincts (revenge) without thinking about the consequences. My worry is that people in the US will be hoodwinked by Trump's nonsense rather like the Brexiters were fooled by the Leave campaign in the UK.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Thank you, some people can't handle facts.

10. bent christian thread starter Suspended

bent christian

So they are basically the same here. We can agree on that.

The main difference being, one (Trump) relishes the abuse. He seems to enjoy thinking about it. Clinton probably sees it as a means to an end, however misguided that may be.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think that's the case, fully dependent on who is being tortured. Her response to the death of Gaddafi was...chilling, to say the least.

12. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Hillary Clinton has helped to torture, kill, murder and destroy the lives of millions; Trump hasn’t. Hillary Clinton cackled about Qaddafi being sodomized with a bayonet and tortured brutally before being murdered; Trump didn’t. I don’t support Trump in saying he wants to torture anyone. Hillary Clinton’s a useless POS.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

she came she saw he died she laughed. along with 1000's others and millions displaced.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Hasn't yet, because he hasn't deigned to serve the public in positions in which decisions have life and death consequences.

15. bent christian thread starter Suspended

bent christian

By his own words, Donald Trump would like to. He would like to do much more.

I understand that you want to pretend that Donald Trump stands on some moral high ground. He is actually quite the similar to Clinton on a number of these issues. I don't think we will be seeing bullets dipped in pig's blood used for execution when Clinton is elected as Commander in Chief, as Donald Trump dreams of.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I am sure the people dying in the M-E feel so much better because a democrat killed them instead of a filthy republican :rolleyes:

17. bent christian thread starter Suspended

bent christian

A Republican did kill thousands. A Republican did displace one thousand people.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Obama's actions with Hillary's support killed 1000's and displaced over 2.5 million in Libya alone.

19. bent christian thread starter Suspended

bent christian

Yes, because the Arab Spring occurred in a vacuum. History reset in 2009. The invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan, the subsequent occupations had nothing to do with that.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

civil wars are NONE of our business.

21. bent christian thread starter Suspended

bent christian

PEW-PEW-PEW!

[​IMG]

By his own words, Donald Trump does not think so.

22. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Correct, and based upon Hillary’s known history she should be automatically disqualified for already having helped to cause deathly “consequences” for countless men, women, children and babies.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And I'm sure out decades worth of covert arming and supplying rebel armies in the reason also had nothing to do with it.

Just like our foreign propaganda arm hosting a rally (at which McCain spoke) in Kiev had nothing to do with the rioting that started hours later there that continued the tensions with Russia there.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

just how many times do you get to use the card? I must get one :D

25. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Following the stack, wouldn't Deflection resolve prior to JK's statement thus rendering your MTG joke null?