Trump to Extort $1 Billion from South Korea

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Apr 28, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, this is kinda bizarre. Donald Trump seems to have discovered a new money-making system:

1) Raise tensions with North Korea.
    2) Send the THAAD missile defense system to South Korea to defend against NK missile attacks.
    3) Send the $1,000,000,000 bill for THAAD to Seoul.
    4) Profit!!!

Here's some quotes from the Washington Post article on the subject:

The South Korean government reeled Friday over President Trump’s sudden insistence that he expects Seoul to pay $1 billion for a missile defense system that many here do not want, the latest in a series of slights against one of the United States’ leading allies in Asia.

“So far the reaction in South Korea to all these things that Mr. Trump has said has been surprisingly restrained, but I think that’s because South Koreans are still trying to figure out what kind of character he is,” said David Straub, a former U.S. diplomat dealing with the Koreas and author of the book “Anti-Americanism in Democratizing South Korea.”

“They know he’s an unusual president and they’re discounting a lot of what he says, but eventually remarks like these will have a serious effect,” Straub said.​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...5405f56d3e4_story.html?utm_term=.ffe0fc478854

2. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Either way someone is going to be unhappy. You either ask them to pay for what helps defend them or you leave them to their own decisions.

Then if North Korea attacks South Korea, everyone will be upset as to why we didn't help them. Yet, people are upset we are asking for money to defend them? In the same breath upset we spend so much on the military. Quite a quandary, right?

3. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Well at least that's better than the arming and training of terrorists we are currently doing in the Middle East. They're only paying us back with enthusiasm.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Should just start closing down bases around the world and pull back and deploy all of the defenses locally and contract out defense to other countries.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

6. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Er, that's not quite what is going on here. Trump has inflamed North Korea; threatening them publicly, rousing China and other countries against them, and sending American military assets into the area.

Then he starts asking for protection money from South Korea.

He's not leaving them to their own decisions. He's making their decisions for them, then forcing them to pay. That's why it's extortion.

7. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

As long as we have a US controlled kill switch on our weapons for when these countries get squirrely towards us as these things go. Maybe former Enron executives can be consulted on this procedure.

8. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I am so with you on that. Too bad we've elected Trump, though, who's looking like the best friend the Neo-Cons could have ever dreamed for. :(

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Let's not kid ourselves, both candidates were war hungry, I'm actually surprised Trump is continuing the ********.

10. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Why would they be using US-built weaponry? We aren't the world leaders in tech any more. Heck, China is showing off it's shiny new 100% native-built aircraft carrier this week...

11. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Cause you really need to go over the top to stir up peace loving North Korea. This is totally unprecedented.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Won't be operational till 2020 though, also China isn't really leading the world in tech, they are really good at mimicking, borrowing IP, and assembling stuff though

13. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

We have better Amazon reviews.

14. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, but there's a significant difference: Clinton would be continuing an Obama-built administration, and dealing with a Republican-controlled Congress. And without a doubt, Clinton was the type of person to get deep into the weeds on any issue, meaning that she would not be the type to, say, drop a bunch of cruise missiles on Syria just because she got up on the wrong side of the bed that morning.

Trump is gifted with a thin skin, a fractious staff, a confused Republican Congress that doesn't know if it should hold Trump back or let him off all leashes, and a military industrial complex that seems delighted to offer him options that Obama never seemed to support. We are all but guaranteed a war with him in the White House, at some point or another, for some reason or another. And everybody knows it.

In short, Clinton would never have been in a good position to start a significant military action. Trump? There's nobody stopping him.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 28, 2017 ---
    NK has had the bomb for a decade now. Before Trump, nobody was really trying to convince NK to use it. But Trump is daring them to do it.

Trump is the king of brinksmanship, and he's doing everything he can to stick his fingers into North Korean eyes. I guess we'll get to see now if the hyperbolic NK rhetoric will be backed up with military action. Hey, I figure Trump has better than 50/50 odds that NK backs down rather than blowing up entire cities. Too bad for us if they do actually annihilate Los Angeles, but hey, at least the question will finally get answered. :(

15. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I'm more upset that infantile Trump is the first president to figure out our (questionable) moral high ground isn't paying the bills.

16. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Yeah, I guess they'll have to survive on the carrier they bought from the Russians until then.

Absolutely! I mean, look at all those crappy cheap iPhones and iPads and iMacs people are buying. Terrible crappy Chinese-made products!

Yeah, they're mimicking all those American-manufactured cell phones. (Er, are there any American-manufactured cell phones?)

BTW, I'm sure everyone on this forum is familiar with the California-designed, Chinese-manufactured iPhone. But there are Chinese-designed, Chinese-manufactured Android phones, some of quite high quality. Check out these companies:

OnePlus -- https://oneplus.net/
    Xiaomi -- http://www.mi.com/en/
    Huawei -- http://consumer.huawei.com/us/mobile-phones/index.htm

17. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I live in CA so I have a dog in this fight. I don't have a death wish but instantaneously isn't a bad way to go and far better than the slow class dystopia our political system thinks will be awesome.

18. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

:) I'm a fan of diplomacy. In my book, living through agonizingly slow talks with annoyingly bombastic dictators beats dying gloriously on the battlefield. I'm just weird that way.

19. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I'm a fan of sissy slap fights but I think that goes against the Geneva Convention covered under a subset of gentlemen fisticuffs.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Where in CA and what are you doing tonight?? :love:

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It's easy to replicate an already proven idea, there's no doubt that China has gotten better at creating phones that were originally innovated on and designed by US companies. In a decade or two you will probably be right about China, but right now they are basically useful for their cheap tech labor.

22. yaxomoxay Suspended

yaxomoxay

You just listed the business plan adopted in the past 50 years by the US Government.

23. Chew Toy McCoy, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017

Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Lifelong Bay Area resident. I didn't just move here so some VC could give me truckloads of cash so I can do rails off an unpaid intern's bottom to inspire me to write code for a redundant app. I'll let you know next time I head down to SoCal. Let me know if you head up here and I'll show you the one plot of land that hasn't been converted into a retail condo plaza (yet). :)

Tonight I'm watching The Founder. Getting my Keaton fix.

24. jpietrzak8, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017

jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Hmm, sort of. :) Certainly, after WWII, the world was pretty much partitioned into two cold-warring camps, and it became convenient for most countries to pick a side for their own protection.

But these days, I don't think so many countries feel the need to be protected from Russia or China as before (even as both of them seem to be trying to expand their borders). Today, the alliances are more for the benefit of the US than for the rest of the world; North Korea may want to nuke the US, but it'd be stupid of them to nuke Seoul, as they want to take Seoul for themselves.

So yeah, Trump is stirring things up there for his own political benefit. :( And he's sending THAAD missiles for his own negotiating benefit (those anti-missile devices aren't really going to benefit South Korea in any manner; they don't work on artillery rounds, but they do anger China mightily). And now, he's sending the bill to Seoul for his own financial benefit.

There's really very little here for Seoul to be happy about; and unlike the past 50 years, they probably don't need us as much any more.

I will bet you that there are at least a few feelers going out between South Korea and China at this point. If China could broker a treaty between NK and SK, I suspect they might be willing to agree to terms that freeze out the US...

25. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

This thread pisses me off.

We shouldn't be paying to defend other countries!
    Oh wait but if we aren't doing that we are abandoning our allies?
    China is more advanced in tech than we are!
    We need to make sure NK doesn't nuke LA
    Wait we need to defend our allies!
    Why are we paying for this missile system when SK doesn't want it?!
    Wait China is getting the best of us! If Hillary was here none of this would happen. It would be totally different (ignoring the last 20 years of foreign policy)
    Wait NK was building a nuke even when Obama was president?
    Wait but I'm supposed to be anti-Trump no matter what it's all his fault!

On and on and on you ignorant, biased, partisan people go.

Here are facts:

China isn't close. Not even. Done. End of that discussion. If they rolled out 10 aircraft carriers tomorrow they would still be behind. Done.

North Korea is a threat and has been handled poorly by Obama, Bush, etc. despite sanctions they are still developing a nuclear weapon capable of hitting the United States. If they are crazy, do you want them holding LA for ransom? Get real. That's not acceptable.

South Korea really does want out protection. They could win a war against North Korea but with heavy casualties without US support.
    Should we be paying for this missile system? Yes yes no. Yes because of a treaty, yes because it is also defacto defending the US, no because it is also defending Korea.

If you were a Hillary supporter you are a war hawk. Period. She is a war hawk. Her policies were a continuation of our imperial war mongering. If Trump does these same things, then you should be excited because he's executing on Hollary's foreign policy. Actually, Trump is apparently involving China. Something precious administrations couldn't do. He's doing better!

The NK situation is far more complicated than anybody here has alluded to, and partisan crybaby nonsense only causes that point to be less clear.