Trump To Impose New Tariffs On Steel And Aluminum

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

For someone who says he's smart about trade and business Donald Trump really doesn't understand trade or economics and the consequences of tariffs. He's also ignoring the fact that there are already tariffs on imported steel and aluminum. He's just trying to start a trade war and we will not come out the winners in it. He is damaging the country with his asinine actions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/01/business/trump-tariffs.html

The market has already reacted to the moves by the idiot in chief.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/01/us-stocks-powell-fed-trump.html

And even our closest trading partners and allies are talking about retaliation.

http://thehill.com/regulation/international/376336-canada-threatens-retaliation-on-trump-tariffs

Businesses are warning about severe price increases in products, like Toyota cars.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/i...new-trump-tariffs-will-cause-price-of-cars-to
    --- Post Merged, Mar 1, 2018 ---
    Reason makes a very good case that Republicans are no longer the party of free markets and free trade, if they ever really were.

2. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Even Republicans are urging against this mainly because while we have the industry here, we can't produce nearly as much and it will cost way more. In the end it will hurt the consumer more than anything. It's a hefty price to pay to "stick it to the foreigners".

3. 0007776 Suspended

How long until trade wars turn into shooting wars?

4. Leguna24 Suspended

Leguna24

no worries, the trash will tell you that he's just trolling everyone again :)

either way, it'll be hilarious to see how this goes down.

5. Zenithal macrumors 604

Don't have to wait. It's been done before.

6. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

“When goods don’t cross borders, Soldiers will"
    ~Claude Frédéric Bastiat

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

A move like this would be devastating in my country and especially in the industry I work in. What is this idiot doing? So many people are perhaps going to lose their jobs over this. The steel and aluminium industry is vital and the very sector that often needs government help for the good of the country, not putting in the ground.

8. Zenithal macrumors 604

Even more so for the users of said product. It's alright, though. I hear the coal industry is kicking and screaming to be let out...

9. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Now he says trade wars are good and easy to win. Good god he’s a moron.

10. RichardMZhlubb, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018

RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

It is amusing to hear Republican Senators apoplectic about this. Trump was fine with them when he was their useful idiot, but now that his incompetence leads to policies they don’t like they really can’t complain. Play with fire and you get burned.

11. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

12. samcraig macrumors P6

He's a moron

The steel industry wasn't hurting

All this means is that makers of steel will do ok, meanwhile anyone who needs to use steel will pay premiums. Watch consumer goods skyrocket if this goes into effect.

13. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

The US doesn't manufacturer enough steel for its own needs, and that isn't going to change soon. US industry will be forced to import steel at higher costs, and those costs are passed to consumers of course.

I'm wondering what the probability is that some heavily dependant steel consuming companies will move manufacturing to other countries to reduce costs?

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Agreed. I might not have been as eloquent.

In short - companies that USE steel in the US are going to suffer.

15. cube macrumors P6

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Kinda like the effects of Brexit...

Seriously, though, I hope that this is targeted at specific countries (e.g., the PRC, which have subsidised steel ridiculously) rather than being a global tariff on any imported steel/aluminium. Indeed, I think current trade regulations require such punitive measures to be country-specific, but perhaps somebody more knowledgeable can comment.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

18. cube macrumors P6

The announcement already crushed global markets.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

I think prematurely. But it should be a warning sign for Trump that making these types of "side" comments without a fully baked plan will hurt more than help.

20. cube macrumors P6

It is also a warning sign for investors.

21. 0007776 Suspended

You would think Trump would be smart enough to know not to make Congress too mad at him since there’s plenty there to impeach him with his sketchy business ties, and the Russia investigation. For now his party being in control of Congress protects him, but if he spouts off too much about things counter to the Republican mainstream he runs the risk of the GOP deciding that President Pence sounds better than President Trump.

22. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

23. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

hey guys, nothing to see here... just a regular guy selling $32m worth share just days before... move on

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-sell-trump-steel-tariffs-announcement-timing

EU will be imposing tariffs on American imports.

24. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

So they threw billionaire Wilbur Ross on TV to say:

[​IMG]

My god the White House is full of morons.

25. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Not directly relevant, but he's not a billionaire.

In any normal administration, this would probably be grounds for an embarrassing resignation, but, under Trump, it's just par for the course.