Trump to pardon Dinesh D’Souza

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 31, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

[​IMG]

D’Souza please guilty in 2014 to making an illegal campaign contribution to a Republican senate candidate in New York in 2012. He was a good guy at one time but he’s now become an unhinged loon. Check out his twitter feed some time.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

I know you don't care for Hogg, etc - but Dinesh was out of line with his comments after the shooting.

No surprise Trump likes him - he's a full on conspiracy theorist.

3. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

He was never a good guy.

4. Rogifan, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018

Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Ted Cruz chimes in....in case anyone was wondering what this pardon is really about.

5. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

He’s really going out of his way to secure his legacy as “worst president in US history by any standard”. Keep at it Donnykins.

6. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Presidential pardons should be handed out gingerly. The implementaion of Trump: Fantasy Defender of the Crooked backwashes onto him self as the head crook. His notion of fairness is a sick, self serving farce where he undermines our laws and legal systems on a whim for his own perceived advantage. The man is a menace to democracy. If ever turned loose he’d fit quite comfortably into the facist dictator role. He’ll be dissatisfied with any less than 100% abuse of his position. He’s making progress daily, and crickets from the GOP.

7. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Wow. This presidency consists of little more than tearing apart the idea of governance in our society AND granting carte blanche to grifters.

8. Zenithal macrumors G3

He's pissed off the Kochs as of this morning.

9. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

How?

10. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

That was a while ago. Luckily their network still has plenty of puppets (Pompeo, Tom Cotton, pretty much most of the GOP, etc.) in tremendously powerful positions.

11. Zenithal macrumors G3

Tariffs. The Kochs finance just about anyone running in the GOP. The law is clear-cut on how much you can donate, but there's a lot of legal loopholes that allow you to easily skirt the law.
    --- Post Merged, May 31, 2018 ---
    Not if they cut off funding. Even Sheldon Adelson won't be donating vast sums anymore. The tariffs may force German and Japanese companies to close down factories in the US. Immediate job losses may tally up to 200,000 with third party suppliers taking that up to maybe a half million to a bit more in job losses for American workers. EU and Japan can also heavily tax American farm goods like China and put pressure on key Trump states, even liberal ones.

This won't hurt the Japanese or EU, since their own regions, China and the ME are their biggest consumers, and not the US.

12. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Don't forget, the Koch network is actually bigger in terms of headcount than the entire GOP. It's a slow-motion coup. Once they were happy just telling the GOP what to do, now they are transitioning to explicitly running the GOP while being embedded in nearly every aspect of American governance. The end goal is to destroy any semblance of collective action on the government so it can be run merely to serve corporate power. It's been a long, long, loooong game but they're rounding third base as we watch.
    Who do you think is going to pick up the pieces of the GOP after this presidency? Trump is just an incompetent speed bump to them. Not that they're against Trump, they're just pissed the guy doesn't have any subtlety to do their bidding properly.

13. Zenithal macrumors G3

Except these tariffs don't help the Kochs at all. They rely on cheap but quality imports for their business ventures. They'll see their own margins slim down as a result. Maybe this will be a nice incentive for Ford to stop building most of their vehicles in Mexico and GM can stop making cars in China and importing them to the US to sell to consumers. If Trump was serious about his so called national security crisis, he wouldn't allow that or his deal with phonemaker ZTE.
    Don't care at this point. A half million people losing their jobs as a result of his actions won't put a damper on my mood. They can find another job and not become another unemployment statistic.

14. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I think we’re talking past each other. The Koch’s are going to get what they want even if they take a temporary hit with Trump. My comments should be viewed as looking beyond these tariffs/president.

On the ZTE front I think the Telecoms are the ones that told Trump to reverse it. The little known fact is that if the USA is going to roll out 5G any time in the next decade they simply can’t do it without ZTE’s commercial equipment. There simply isn’t enough capacity worldwide for the tower equipment if ZTE is shut out. God knows AT&T/Verizon have no interest paying more for the equipment.

I also have my theories that the NSA has loved tapping into ZTE equipment under the radar seeing as China’s own spying technology takes all the air out of the conversation.

15. Zenithal macrumors G3

It's not temporary. Trump wants one thing. The Kochs want another. Trump wants other countries to come to heel and pay high tariffs. Kochs want low to non-existent tariffs forever.

16. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Another loony conspiracy theorist right-winger, one of the worst. I love his interviews, writing a fiction novel is always one thing, trying to explain it as a book of facts or actual information is another.

17. Zenithal macrumors G3

The telecoms may ask, but they won't get anywhere. The entire reversal is unpopular with both sides of the political spectrum, not to mention the IC and military. I'm surprised there wasn't an even stronger push for a total ban on Hauwei and OnePlus, as well.
    You may have your theories, but any reasonable individual has figured out by now that even in the age of AI and recording everything, the US IC misses a metric ton of data that's valuable to us and our allies. If the last 40 years are anything to go by, it's that the entire effort is ineffectual.

You can keep asserting this will benefit the Kochs or anyone like them, but it doesn't. Even a temporary hit is too much for them.

18. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

How is it not temporary? The Koch’s have been orchestrating their plans for 30+ years. This president, and the next, will be gone before the Koch’s influence on American policy dissipates.

19. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Wow now Trump says he’s thinking of pardoning Martha Stewart and....Rod Blagojevich. OK he’s just punking everyone now.

And here’s an example of things Dinesh D’Souza has tweeted:

20. Zenithal macrumors G3

How is it temporary?

If POTUS is unwilling to remove tariffs until said countries cave to his demands, these tariffs remain. It'll cost at least half a million US jobs. It'll cause utilities and imported product prices to climb and climb. Koch Industries rely on a mix of domestic and foreign product, the latter of which will be tariffed and cost them money. The Kochs don't even like Trump and only agree with him on a few things. They don't even like his immigration policies spanning Mexico to the middle east. The Kochs have maybe another 10-15 years of life into them before their descendants take over, and that's if their kids have the business acumen not to screw things up.

Anyone who thinks this is a temporary setback and that our allies won't retaliate severely to punish key GOP states and even liberate states is kidding themselves. Mexico has just levied tariffs on a wide range of products and food imports from the US, taking effect immediately.

Feel free to disagree, but this has never ever worked out for any US president or any leader of any country.
    I'm a bit okay with this. As long as he never utters the words "It's a good thing" ever again in her life.

21. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I can’t understand why you’re responding to me like I agree with Trump’s policies or can’t see their geopolitical reverberations. TRUMP WILL BE GONE IN EITHER TWO YEARS, OR 6 IF THE DEMS CONTINUE THEIR PATHETIC CHARADES.

THAT is what I mean by temporary. The Koch Brother’s influence on American politics is going to outlast this presidency, and very likely the next. These networks and operations don’t just disappear, in fact they are the institutions that ARE capable of playing the long game.

22. Zenithal macrumors G3

He may be a dumbass, but at least he's somewhat proud of his background and upbringing and doesn't hide behind a nickname like Piyush "Bobby" Jindal. It's as bad as Rafael to Ted.
    That's just illogical fallacy at its prime. Nothing ever lasts. Canadian, Japanese and Taiwanese companies can corner the markets with cheaper but of same quality product as what Koch Industries puts out and ultimately devalue these companies.

23. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

...do...do you even know the breadth of the Koch network? I’m not even talking about the companies they own, but instead their actual political network. That’s not going way if Brawny cedes marketshare to a Chinese paper towel company.

24. Zenithal macrumors G3

Yeah, I do. Do you know what happens when the Kochs get pissed at the current state of the GOP under Trump and threaten to stop donations to PACs that benefit said politicians? That same group that can fund attack ad after ad at their own "flesh and blood?" Insofar, nearly all of Trump's actions from immigration to tariffs set groups like the Kochs on the road to lost margins indefinitely until these actions are retracted by the next idiot in office, Democrat, Independent or Republican.

25. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

So they buy a new roster that is even more ready to lick their balls, I’m not seeing how this takes away from anything I’ve posted. Politicians are dispensable to these people. Long term political outcomes is all these people care about, not who they use to deliver them.