Trump to pull feds out of K-12 education

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 8, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/...&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialnetwork

Betsy is sadly a moron. Mixed feelings on this one due to some states being ruled by complete morons

2. Solver, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019

Solver macrumors 6502a

That was written Wednesday, April 26, 2017.

3. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I do think schools and teachers need more funding but keeping the federal government out of our schools I also believe is important

I don’t think it is right to have military recruiters in our high schools either.

4. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

No wonder the Asian schoolchildren do so much better, and when the Asian immigrants come to the USA, they typically excel in school (just look at all the valedictorians and the majority of spelling bee national champions, dominated by Asians). It has everything to do with their cultures placing teachers as a respected and valued professional in society.

In the USA, this nation treats educators with disrespect. Bigmouth Donald Trump is typical of this backward mentality. Sad.

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Well. If we are going to play politics

Conservatives will give you physical deterrents.

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Whaddaya talking about? It's because we have Tiger Moms.:oops: Besides, compared to our compatriots in Old Country, we are far inferior. I didn't make my own shoes until I was 20. In Old Country, that's a skill 9 year old already have.:p

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Maybe you're just a slow learner ;)

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Well did he do it ?

Considering the linked article is TWO years old.

Did he do it ?

9. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Not a Trump supporter but can at least agree the federal government has completely failed at whatever it was they were supposed to do with education. At least our federal taxes don’t need to keep funding that failure.

But I am sure there are those in this country that would fully support education at every grade level being yet another for profit industry as the only option.

10. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I'm going to disagree a little bit here. Maybe they do respect teachers more, but the parents are also much more involved in the whole education thing than here in the US.

Where I live there are parents who don't see the value in in education so they don't encourage their kids. I mean why should a kids strive to learn proper English when the parents 1) don't speak it and 2) don't encourage their kids to speak it.

I think that some cultures place more emphasis on education and that is reflected in how those student do. Right now one of our top elementary schools is under fire because they are doing too well. SMFH. Yes, a few parents in other schools are ticked because the test scores at this one school are so much better and they don't think it is fair because that school has parents who participate. So let's bring down the one school because it makes students at other schools feel bad.

So while yes, it is the "rich" school (at least as far as we have those), it is also the school where the parents are more likely to have a college degree or higher. And parents who stress the importance of education. One without the other doesn't work.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Nobody ?

No one can answer if he did it or not ? The article IS two years old.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The federal government nor the states can fix the amount of kids in one parent households. That is the main contributing factor to the steady decline in education.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is this a fact or an opinion?

14. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I’d also argue 2 parents working long hours doesn’t help either, but that's what you need minimum to maybe barely squeak into the middle class.

However, studies have shown that 2 educated career-oriented people in a relationship (smartly) put off having kids or don’t have kids at all. So it's basically a race to the bottom between our education system and the people having kids.

15. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Not yet, maybe next year and it would only be a 10% cut..

https://www.educationdive.com/news/...unding-cuts-stresses-choice-for-stude/550222/

I read another article that says only about 8% of most State education budgets is from federal funds.
    --- Post Merged, May 10, 2019 ---
    Lets go the other way with this. What if the federal government said the States were not doing enough to educate children and that the federal government was going to be taking over both public and private education for K-12 schools?

How well do you think that plan would work out...