Trump to remove McMaster as national security adviser: report

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Mar 15, 2018.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

The hits just keep on coming at the dotards White House. He's either busy firing people or they're jumping ship. What a train wreck this idiots administration is. He'll probably replace him with Sean Hannity.

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-mcmaster-as-national-security-adviser-report

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Sigh. The purge of adults in the Western Kremlin continues.

3. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

So John Bolton is in. Are you guys ready for a war that’s going to quickly escalate gloabally due to the thicket of intertwining defense treaties that is coming?

This is where we’re at.

4. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

He's still trying to find "only the best people."

5. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Please God not John Bolton.

6. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I really hope not. That guy's a nightmare. I was heartened to hear that Rand Paul is already threatening a filibuster for the new torturer at CIA and the Sec State, as they are "warmongering neo-cons". He'll likely add a couple of others, depending on Trump. Sadly, Paul is just one voice.

7. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Think about it, Security Adviser doesn’t need to be approved by the senate.

Mike Pompeo at Secretary of State, Tom Cotton at CIA (The current nominee isn’t going to make it through the Senate...or we’re even more screwed than we think), John Bolton as Security Adviser (do you think Trump won’t be convinced by that lunatic whispering in his ear?), Nikki Haley at the UN.

These are incredibly dangerous ideologues ascending to the highest ranks of official, covert, and soft power of the USA government. I can’t begin to describe how dangerous this is normally, let alone in the current cultural environment where the words of war roll off even the “liberal” oriented media and population.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2018 ---
    Tom Cotton is the real choice. He’ll be the “reasonable compromise” candidate once the current one burns up. Tom Cotton being a pet of the neoconservative political infrastructure.

Basically, the Neocons are back in power, but this time there isn’t an administration that has even a semblance of the appearance of interest in diplomatic charades needed before more war.

8. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

You're right; McMaster only needed confirmation because of a law that requires reconfirmation of a general of three or four star rank if he wishes to retain the rank while serving in an administrative post.

John Bolton, wow. I really thought we'd seen the last of him in any administration --since he'd considered and then decided against running for president himself a couple times, and wasn't likely to get confirmed by the Senate for any job that needed that approval. Even his UN post was a recess appointment and he stepped down before refusal to confirm would become a reality. Talk about bull in china shop. The two of them, Trump and Bolton, are a matched pair except that Bolton has more gravitas in neocon circles.

I keep remembering that Trump did recently say he almost had his cabinet "and some other things" as he wanted them. Next up: firing Mueller? Anything like a subpoena for Trump Org records was supposedly a bright line.

Maybe for now it makes Trump happy just to be hiring and firing advisors. Sooner or later he has to respond to the subpoena. Or not..

9. samcraig macrumors P6

10. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

The warmonger that looks like a walrus? I hadn't heard from him much lately.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2018 ---
    Rand is a voice of reason when it comes to disengaging the US from all its disastrous Middle East expeditions. Sadly, Rand doesn't have very many allies in the Senate, if any. He seems to be a lone voice, and neither Republicans or Dems back up his proposals.

11. 0007776 Suspended

We had the option of a candidate that would have maintained the status quo, but instead we went with the one that likes to throw rocks in hornet's nests, and ask why we can't use our nukes.

12. juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

If he gets replaced by Bolton, so much for Trump not “being Deep State” (although I’m still waiting for a good definition of the term).

13. 0007776 Suspended

How many is that just this week? I’m questioning where he is going to find replacements for all of them that are both qualified and willing to work in this administration.

14. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

This IS starting to become a joke. Seriously wtf?

15. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

My understanding is that the adminstration is having a horrible time finding anyone for a bunch of positions. No one wants anything to do with them. There is a big fear that they will be virtually unemployable after leaving government. As is typical of big DC law firms, I work with a bunch of former senior officials from both Democratic and Republican administrations and they uniformly say that the normal rush of qualified people looking for jobs in a new administration never happened with Trump.

16. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Well and we now have Mueller looking to access financial records of Trump's biz empire... it's one thing to be working in an administration that has become embroiled in an investigation, but quite another to seek a job where that's a known condition before the first job interview.

Whatever may have been reluctance to work for Trump in the first place has to be doubled down by now. Unless of course one's a self-promoting type and figures Trump's an easy mark since his views seem so malleable. Just have to figure out how to get rid of Mr. Gatekeeper Kelly and then truly anything will be possible, anything at all. Kelly has disappointed me a few times but he's still one of the linchpins of a recognizably American executive branch of government. Short of him I have to wonder where we'd be by now, since the prior method was more like whoever got Trump's ear last set policy for today on any given topic.

The time has probably come and gone now where a half-qualified individual Trump tries to tap would behave like Tillerson and take a proffered job despite having deep reservations. Everyone sees how Trump treats his staffers. You're good until you tick him off and then you're fired as soon as he can envision a replacement. He's probably been dissuaded from firing McMaster a dozen times already. Does not look good to fire head of your national security council when unsure can come up with a replacement who'll actually take the job.

On the other hand you get some opportunist like Kudlow who practically pre-pre-announced his own appointment to a post that doesn't require confirmation by the Senate... I half expect John Bolton to go that route except that he secretly fears Trump's desire to "win" might then cause the President to just settle for promoting McMaster's deputy.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Maybe that's why he's looking to hire more TV ready people ;)

The Daily 202: Trump may hire multiple cable news personalities as part of shake-up
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-as-part-of-shake-up/5aab2c5530fb047655a06cdb

THE BIG IDEA: Donald Trump’s reality television presidency may be getting more star power for season two.

Trump has decided to remove H.R. McMaster as his national security adviser and is actively discussing Fox News contributor John Bolton as a potential successor.

A leading contender to replace Veterans Affairs Secretary David Shulkin is Pete Hegseth, the co-host of “Fox and Friends Weekend.”

The president named CNBC analyst and former host Larry Kudlow to replace former Goldman Sachs president Gary Cohn as his chief economic adviser on Wednesday.

More via link

18. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Anyone's watched this guy over the last 20 years knows he's off the charts radical. It will be Trump's worst decision yet IMO.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

But - I mean - how do you even judge something like that anymore LOL

20. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

He’s a warmonger of the worst caliber when it comes to the Middle East and Iran. I’m conflicted because he’s currently talking sense on the DNC leaks (you know, the one that the FBI never did a forensic analysis on and instead all the allegations of a hack come from a firm that was started by US intelligence officials...).
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2018 ---
    When we start an all out war in Iran and North Korea as he’s advocated for years...

We’re watching a clown show right now, but forgetting how much carnage our military can inflict when run my sociopaths. It’s all good though, we have the luxory of being thousands of miles away so we’ll only have to deal with decades of blowback, I mean how bad could it really be? /s

21. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

On a logarithmic scale to leave room for how bad each ensuing decision may be... since that's the trend.

22. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

CBS is also saying Kelly may resign by the end of today. For any other administration this would be a bombshell but for Trump it's not even the story of the week.

23. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Oompa loompa doompety doo
    I've got a another riddle for you
    Oompa loompa doompety dee
    If you are wise you'll listen to me

What do you get when your prez is insane?
    tweeting 'covfefe' and acting so vain?
    You get advisers fired like that <Snaps fingers>
    With Trump causing glo-bal spats
    I don't like the look of it!

Oompa loompa doompety da
    If you're a yes-man, you will go far
    You will live in happiness too
    Till the first time Trump
    clashes with you!
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2018 ---
    I certainly helps flatten the curve!

24. R.Perez macrumors 6502