Trump to Sign Order in Attempt to End Birthright Citizenship, Axios Reports

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Oct 30, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Let's see what the courts will say about this...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ign-order-ending-birthright-citizenship-axios

U.S. President Donald Trump said he plans to sign an executive order ending birthright citizenship for babies of non-immigrants and unauthorized immigrants born on U.S. soil, according to excerpts of an interview released Tuesday.

“We’re the only country in the world where a person comes in and has a baby, and the baby is essentially a citizen of the United States,” Trump told “Axios on HBO” Monday. “It’s ridiculous. And it has to end.”

2. Carnegie macrumors 6502a

I suspect this - i.e., the assertion that he plans to do this - is just a stunt meant to fire up some of the Republican base right before the midterms.

Such a move would be invalid as a violation of the Constitution. The Constitution is pretty clear on this point, particularly if you read the debates in the U.S. Senate from when the provision at issue was proposed. If you are born in the U.S. and not, e.g., the child of a visiting diplomat or living in an area where Native Americans had been given autonomy, you are a U.S. citizen from birth. Neither Congress nor the President have the authority to change that.

Even if birthright citizenship weren't established by the Constitution, it is in accordance with current U.S. law. So U.S. law would have to be changed, an executive order couldn't end birthright citizenship.

3. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Pfffhhtt. I always think this is a sly move by the USA as that insures an ever growing base of US Tax payers.

I stand corrected, but even with dual citizenship as long as you are a US citizen you owe the IRS. No matter where you live.

4. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

So obviously Trump knows Republicans are going to lose the House and isn’t worried about the Senate.

I said the caravan is not what the Democrats want to be talking about. Well if you’re a Republican in a suburban district this is not what you want to be talking about. It’s quite sad to me that Trump’s Republican Party has decided to give up college educated suburban voters. Eventually the older white peope who attend Trump rallies will be dead. Who makes up the Republican Party then?

5. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

The President of the United States doesn't even understand the limit of his powers. Just another day in the WH loony bin.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2018 ---

Someone should tell him

Countries Who Offer Birthright Citizenship

1 Antigua and Barbuda

2 Argentina

3 Barbados

4 Belize

5 Bolivia

6 Brazil

7 Canada

8 Chile

9 Cuba

10 Dominica

11 Ecuador

12 El Salvador

13 Fiji

14 Grenada

15 Guatemala

16 Guyana

17 Honduras

18 Jamaica

19 Mexico

20 Nicaragua

21 Panama

22 Paraguay

23 Peru

24 Saint Kitts and Nevis

25 Saint Lucia

26 Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

27 Trinidad and Tobago

28 United States

29 Uruguay

30 Venezuela

6. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

You can’t change the 14th amendment via executive order. He’s a complete moron. We all know Trump likes to change the subject and have the media chasing shiny objects...but I can’t imagine this is what Rs running for re-election want to be talking about a week out. A new Gallup poll has Trump’s approval down 4% from last week and some new House polls out this morning are discouraging for the R candidate. In the last couple weeks of the 2016 campaign Trump stayed on message or shut up all together. He’s not doing that this year. This could erase any bump Republicans got from Kavanaugh.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

He just can't stop lying.

8. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I think at this point the Dems are happy just to let Trump have the floor and do himself in.

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

So he's unwittingly picking a fight with Russia?

10. PracticalMac, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Congressional Republicans will not stop #45 ending BRC.
    Oh, they will gripe and complain, some say no, but #45 is leader of party, so...

Surprised? No.

(Seriously, pretty sure this is obviously an anti-immigrant ploy, get the anti-immigrant votes, which he has already.)

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

The largest group of people who come into the US to have babies so that those babies will have US citizenship are the Russians. Surely Donald doesn't mean to pick a fight with his bestie, Putin.

12. phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

Trump's base does in fact believe anything that comes out of his mouth - I know that all too well, being from a redneck area deep inside Pennsylvania.

13. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Question to everyone here:

What if Obama or Bill Clinton proposed this?

14. phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

Holy Hell would have instantly reigned down from the Republicans, that's for sure!

15. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Trick question. They wouldn't have proposed this.

16. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

It will reach the Supreme Court and I think it depends on how they word it.

I myself am against birthright citizenship but I am doubtful it will end without a change to the constitution. In any case, any executive action will probably be eliminated by the next president.

On the plus side, it will force the Supreme Court to make a judgement concerning illegal immigration and birthright citizenship

17. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Why would this go to the Supreme Court? The constitution couldn't be clearer.

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

18. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Wouldn't this also mess with the citizenship requirements to become president?

19. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Yes, I don't like the notion of anchor babies. It could be possible to deport both the illegal immigrant and the baby until they become 18 he or she can reenter the U.S.

20. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Or the conservative talk shows. Rush Limbaugh would have made it topic for his entire show, every day, for a year.

21. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

It says Philadelphia under your avatar. ;)

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I would love to see this amendment changed:

"All persons born in the United States to legal, permanent residents; or naturalized in, the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

23. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Run the risk the person returning has poor education, cannot speak English, knows little of US cultures save the movies that depict automatic weapons, fast cars, and high explosives.

24. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Well, for once he isn't lying! There are no countries in the world where a newborn baby automatically becomes a citizen of the US, other than, well, those born in the US!

(Trump is actually so dumb, that when he doesn't say what he means, it turns out correct)

25. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I would wager most agree with him on the issue, I don't know how he's going to get around the courts. Then again this is an extension of previous presidents setting immigration policy via executive fiat rather than through the channels it should be passed through.