Trump told HHS to deny request to fix Iowa ObamaCare market

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Oct 5, 2017.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

This is a case where nullification should be used to deny Trump any kind of say. Iowa should just go ahead and fix their issues with Obamacare and tell Trump and his HHS to suck it. If the states wish to fix Obamacare, and they can, then they should be allowed to. Deliberate sabotage on the part of the president is unseemly and petty. It will not enamor him with his base in Iowa who end up losing their health insurance because of his chicanery.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...y-request-to-fix-iowa-obamacare-market-report

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Why do you need to advertise for something that people are taxed if they don't buy? Is this a spin job to make paying $1k a month with a $4k deductible seem reasonable?

Your thread also fails to realize if Obamacare was actually good it wouldnt be crumbling under it's own weight.

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I'm sure even now some do not realize this, that's why. They have also cut the budget for navigators that get out into the field, especially poorer areas, and help them enroll. Additionally they have been taking the sign up site down for 12 hours on weekends. It seems they are doing everything they can to make the problems even worse. And that is playing games with people's lives.

Meanwhile:

9 million kids get health insurance under CHIP. Congress just let it expire
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rance-under-chip-congress-just-let-it-expire/

Then I guess the U.S. and Trump's presidency is no good since both seem to be crumbling.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If Obama couldn't get the word out after 7 years then that's his problem. How do you not know about Obamacare as an American at this point?

US is doing fine, http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us...with-fed-speakers-in-the-spotlight-2017-10-05

46th record close.

5. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I’ve never heard any of my conservative friends ever mention how losing the ACA will affect people’s lives (except theirs). And by theirs I mean saving them money.

They don’t care. The thought of other people suffering never crossed their minds.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I have. In highly republican districts here in California, their representatives have been getting earfuls so much that they've had to cut short their town hall meetings, and blame it on the lame excuse of "liberals sending plants to their meetings to disrupt them", even though some of these districts are in rural areas.

And the bulk of the people there, who happen to be Republicans, have screamed to not get rid of the ACA.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article174527641.html

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article136434778.html

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/marcos-breton/article139365343.html

If the ACA is so mean, evil, expensive, and crumbling, why are the Republicans' own constituents telling them to keep it, or risk getting replaced come their respective elections?

Oh, wait, I know... some here in this forum are vowing to continue the same wrongly-proven rhetoric until the bitter end, even though they know they are wrong (their own words).

BL.

7. daflake macrumors 6502a

I'm and independent and I do think that we need some type of health care in our country. However the ACA made it impossible for me to see a doctor without paying full cost. My deductibles went through the roof, so while I am happy that people got insurance, it made mine unusable. I actually negotiated better rate by paying the doctor directly and I know many others in my situation. So, in my opinion the ACA is a piece of crap that needs to be fixed. I don't care how we do it but it isn't fair that my insurance became unusable just so that someone else can have something they can use.

Keep the ACA, but please fix it so that it is a little more fair.

As for not caring, you clearly haven't spoken to many conservatives. I know many who totally support universal healthcare, but only for US Citizens and only if it is a little more fair than what Obama shoved down our throats. Yes, I have a beef with how he did it as well.

8. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

But that is his defining trait.

9. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

You are wrong in thinking I haven’t spoken to many conservatives. Yes I have, but my sample in Orange County is skewed because they are higher than average earners. So much that it’s common for them to donate to push their causes.

My friends in Texas and in Phillie aren’t as nearly well off and oppose the ACA for many of the same reasons as my higher earning friends.

One of the common things they ask me is why should they pay higher taxes for people who don’t want to work hard in life. Also that the govt isn’t there to take care of lazy people.

10. daflake macrumors 6502a

Both of those comments are true statements though. There are people who play the system and there are people who want nothing but the government to take care of them. These people make it hard for the people who really need help. We need to fix the system to stop that abuse.

11. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

The U.S. health care system is crumbling under the weight of its many components' need to increase profits every year. These include hospitals, drug companies, drug benefit management companies, insurance companies, billing companies, etc. We pretty much pay the most and have the worst outcome of any western nation, not to mention the millions without any coverage. Obamacare was an attempt to address this but once the GOP gained control of Congress, they blocked any and all necessary moves to maintain and improve it.

Obamacare took many of its core principles from Romneycare in Massachusetts, including the individual mandate that is now so scorned by the GOP but which they previously lauded as a responsible, conservative way to implement health care. Basically the main problem the GOP has with Obamacare is that it has Obama's name on it. They voted more than 50 times to repeal it without having any credible replacement.

Now Trump is intentionally undermining it, but what Trump objects to is an open question as I'm sure he has no clue about what is actually in Obamacare vs. what the GOP proposed to replace it with this year. Again, it appears to be just the name Obama. As he would say, SAD!

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The bill they voted on was sold to the American people as the solution.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

what money are they saving?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    Obama let the insurance industry craft the bill, who KNEW they would make it so they would need bailouts at tax payer expense??? :rolleyes:

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

After having Republican input on it, which even Obama himself said was a compromise, and still needed to be fixed and made better.

By all means, please let us know when your side proposes those fixes out side of repealing and replacing with something worse, let alone with any input from anyone else outside their party.

BL.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Compromise?
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/21/AR2010032100943.html

0 Republicans.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Aherm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Care_and_Education_Reconciliation_Act_of_2010

Amended via compromise with Republicans voting yes on it, in both the House and Senate.

BL.

18. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

A solution, as it always had to be a political compromise. And again, GOP blocked steps that were necessary to maintain and improve it.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Which of those amendments are you suggesting caused Americans to be paying $1k monthly payments with $4k deductibles because I'm missing it in the provisions.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    If they passed something worthwhile it wouldn't need to be amended, maybe if they read it before they passed it.

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Clearly Trump hates poor Iowa corn fed MF'ers. Can't wait to see people pull up on their gurney for the Iowa Caucus.

21. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

GOP did the same thing with their pathetic replacement bill - it was rushed without time for serious scrutiny and Congressional Budget Office analysis, and senators voted for it without really knowing what was in it. So not much difference there and it's no wonder Congress has such low approval ratings.

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

So the GOP strategy seems to be: sabotage anything that looks like it distributes health care according to need rather than wallet size and make tax cuts for the rich and increase taxes on the poor, increasing the budget deficit, which will be used to justify cuts for services for the poor. The US is drowning in stupid short-sighted selfishness, but at least this time the GOP's policies can't be blamed on Obama or the Democrats. The GOP now owns the health case crisis, and if they manage to pull off tax 'reform', they'll own wealth inequality as well. And the night is young...

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Goal post shift.

You stated that 0 Republicans supported the bill, when in the Senate, they voted on amendments to the bill that did not need a filibuster-proof majority for passing, as it went back there for the vote and back again to the House, before Obama signed it.

Again, from Wiki:

And if you think that semantics make a difference, think again.

So again. Remind us where 0 Republicans supported this bill? Because the facts prove you wrong.

BL.

24. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Even now after 50 failed attempts to repeal Obamacare Under Obama, failure to repeal it now when they have control, you would think at some point the light might have come on for Republicans and they would say “hey let’s fix this”.

Think of what healthcare could have been if our health was a bipartisan issue.

But, no instead the contempt continues, and now the dispicible tactics of undermining efforts to improve the system are commencing. I guess the thought that a Black man tried to provide healthcare for all is just too strong to bare. The contempt has consumed the Republican Party.