Trump Told Russians That Firing ‘Nut Job’ Comey Eased Pressure From Investigation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 19, 2017.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Oh boy...

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/...tw-share&_r=0&referer=https://t.co/bHgzOaYG0u

Sean Spicer didn't deny the story, just pivoted to leaks.

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/865648562226339842

Also the Washington Post is reporting that the Russia probe includes someone currently working in the White House. It has to be Jared Kushner.

http://wapo.st/2q1v5oP

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Can we get a copy of this document or are we supposed to believe everything we read by these "noble" journalists?

3. zin macrumors 6502

Now they aren't even trying. I even chuckled at this one.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They never reveal their sources, and generally they are pretty truthful - except when Fox News calls them out on it.

5. DrewDaHilp1, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I mean think of it this way. This forum as more stringent rules for posting information than the media "sources".

6. Rogifan, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Sean Spicer didn't deny it. No one at the White House is denying it. And the only thing Trump backers can fall back on is blaming the leakers. What if the leaks are coming from Pence staffers? Also I don't remember leaks like this during GWB and Obama administrations. Surely they had some "deep state" holdover from the previous administration too. I'll bet any money most of the leaks are coming from the West Wing.
    --- Post Merged, May 19, 2017 ---
    I don't remember Donald Trump complaining about Wikileaks. In fact he gleefully read from hacked emails during his campaign rallies. Sean Hannity slobbered all over Julian Assange. I guess for Fox and others Wikileaks is OK because it was targeting Democrats.

Btw, this is currently on the front page of foxnews.com

[​IMG]

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You know something that Wikileaks did that none of these "sources" and media outlets have done so far? Showed us the e-mails/memos(aka evidence).

8. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Or trust the human dumpster fire that is running the country.

We report.

You decide.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Well if Russia stopped paying Assange to keep the heat off Trump maybe we would see some of that evidence.

10. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Here's what the NYT says about the source of this particular quote:

The White House document that contained Mr. Trump’s comments was based on notes taken from inside the Oval Office and has been circulated as the official account of the meeting. One official read quotations to The Times, and a second official confirmed the broad outlines of the discussion.​

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/us/politics/trump-russia-comey.html

If true, this probably means that several people within the White House staff have seen these notes. Which may be the reason why Sean Spicer did not deny the account when asked about it; he instead went straight to justifying what it said:

“By grandstanding and politicizing the investigation into Russia’s actions, James Comey created unnecessary pressure on our ability to engage and negotiate with Russia,” Mr. Spicer said. “The investigation would have always continued, and obviously, the termination of Comey would not have ended it. Once again, the real story is that our national security has been undermined by the leaking of private and highly classified conversations.”​

EDIT: By the way, you should check out how the NYT explicitly states that the notes were read to them by an "American" official. They do not, however, state that the notes were written by an American official, rather just by somebody in the oval office. I expect that we're finally getting our first glimpse at the contents of the Russian transcript of that meeting... :)

11. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

They were still leaks. The White House isn't even disputing this one. When they can't dispute something or call it fake they just pivot to blaming the leakers. Nobody blamed the leakers when it came to Clinton's wrongdoing.

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Speaking of evidence...
    No one blamed the leakers? Why has the left been harking on buh da Rooskies for the past almost year then?

13. chown33 macrumors 604

It's getting to the point where the source of the leaks is at least as interesting a horse race as the content of them. It's almost like a series of whodunnit mysteries, with false clues, dead ends, etc. Sadly, the scenarios aren't nearly as literate as a classic P. D. James or Agatha Christie.

If a leaker is ever revealed, it will be very interesting to see who it is. Personally, I think there are multiple leakers, though I'm with you that they're in the West Wing. There should be office pools on who, and when a revelation will come. I won't bet on revelation before 1 Sep.

Going just by some of the content, my guess is that either the leaker is fairly high up the food chain, or is a confidante of someone who is. By confidante, all I mean is that someone pretty close to the President, close enough to be in many meetings, talks about what happened in the meetings to someone lower down, and that lower person may well be the leaker, rather than the higher one.

14. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

I mean no one in conservative politics or media. Except maybe Marco Rubio who, unlike Donald Trump, refused to talk about Wikileaks.

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I don't know how you can keep dismissing things when the White House itself doesn't deny it. At some point your world is going to come crashing down if you keep believing that every negative thing about Trump is fake.

As for Trump, him calling anyone else (especially Comey) a nutjob is rich with irony. Trump is nuttier than a fruitcake or a bag of peanuts.

16. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Another thing is with the constant changing of stories by the WH it's pretty clear different factions within the West Wing leak and they all have different motivations. When you start seeing stories about Pence being kept in the dark over certain things it's pretty clear that people close to him are leaking (with or without his approval). I mean he's got his own political career to think about.
    Van Jones is right. Donald Trump is the biggest snowflake of them all. :p

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Pence also started his own superpac yesterday which was....interesting.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if this is true, then Comey is a little bit "weird"
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/comey-tr...e-gathering-avoid-trump-report-125823269.html

19. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

They show the email, they don't show where the email came from, aka the source of who leaked it. On top of that, they don't provide evidence that it hasn't been doctored and yet it's taken as accurate.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

What happened to "Faux" News?"

21. darksithpro macrumors regular

Remember in school, where the teacher had the students sit in a big circle, or from one side to the other, then the teacher would whisper a short sentence into the ear of the first student, that would proceed all the way to the other side. Never came out the way the teacher said it, ever.

22. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Funny thing, though, if the teacher handed written notes to the first student, who handed them to the second one, and those notes proceeded all the way to the other side, I'm fairly sure they would still say the same things they did when the teacher gave them to the first student.

I agree, passing information orally is not terribly accurate. Which is probably why humans invented writing thousands of years ago...

23. zin macrumors 6502

The mainstream media in your country is hand-in-glove working with the Democratic Party. Did you pay attention to the WikiLeaks releases? In addition, it's very clear Trump is angering many people in the government, which currently remains infested with Obama appointees. The mainstream media has no credibility. Why do you take their anonymous sources at face value? These are the same people who colluded with the Democrats to coronate Hillary.

There are plenty of reasons to criticise Trump. I have not in any way dismissed every negative thing about Trump as fake. He is making the wrong decisions on Syria and his likely arms deal with Saudi Arabia is another disgraceful act. But these are things publicly known and issues people should be concentrating on. The Russia story is FAKE and leakers in the government are manipulating public opinion by releasing classified information, fake information, and/or incomplete or misleading information.

I wouldn't be surprised if the leakers are from the intel agencies. Their entire worldview feeds off of conflict with Russia. The last thing they want is for Trump to work with Russia.

24. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

You're forgetting that the teacher would reveal what was originally said, in this case the WH isn't even denying that it's not true. The information also didn't pass through a group changing as it passed, it went from the WH to the leaker, to the press, which was then verified by another person in the WH. Sorry but your analogy fails here.

25. poloponies macrumors 68030

The emails were STOLEN. Do you truly believe that if the Trump campaign's emails were hacked the results wouldn't have been equally (or more) scandalous. The avowed wikileaks manipulation of the message was no different than going into a divorce negotiation when one spouse's emails are disclosed but not the others. You don't automatically conclude that one side is honest and honorable and the other side is dishonorable. Wikileaks manipulated the message through illegal means for the single purpose of giving people the impression that Hillary was somehow the worse candidate. We're starting to see what's behind the Trump curtain and it's pretty f***ing awful.