Trump Trade War to hurt Apple

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AdonisSMU, Jun 19, 2018.

1. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/18/technology/apple-tim-cook-china.html

2. IWantItThatWay Suspended

You know I used to hate Apple for having there things made in China (I have 2009 posts of me getting angry lol), but then someone pointed out to me that it's not just about cost, but also about availability. And what I mean, is that in China, if Apple changes something with their device at the last minute, Foxconn can get their slaves and start whipping them to make sure that change is done before shipment. In the USA, that's almost impossible.

Also, China can pop out a million phones a day at virtually no cost.

But, China manipulates their currency.

China also steals our IPs.

China has ironed out deals that have allowed their population to prosper like never before while the average household income in America has barely changed in 30 years.

We can't keep moving on the same path we are. I wish more Americans would grow up to be more pro-USA instead of hating everything about it.

3. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

4. T'hain Esh Kelch, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018

T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 603

T'hain Esh Kelch

You have to convince yourself and your countrymen to pay more for goods in that case. So it is more about being too much "pro-me" than anything else.

Most producers that makes anything with electronics or metal.

5. IWantItThatWay Suspended

We should be focused on increasing American wages. My problem isn't the price, but the schematics. As much as I hate things being made in China, the fact is America can't produce a million phones in a day or deal with a sudden change in hardware like China can.

For example, Steve Jobs wanted to use glass instead of plastic for the iPhone cover, but this change was made like a month before launch. There is no way a U.S. manufacturer could make that change in a month, but with Foxconn they can get their 17 year old slaves to pump out a million of them immediately.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 603

T'hain Esh Kelch

The reason they can't do that, is because China can do it cheaper. And since I assume that americans doesn't want to work for pennies and you don't want immigrants in, the only thing you can do is to increase the prices of locally produced goods, and get that reflected in higher saleries. Of course, your american model where CEOs and the people right below them get the vast majority of income in a firm, that would of course also require a change.

Likely not, but that's only because they've already set up that amount of machinery for these occasions. Remember it has taken China 40 years to get there, so if the economic states of the US and China flips over the next 50 years, as it looks to do, then you guys might be the ones selling cheap **** to them instead by 2080.

7. IWantItThatWay Suspended

And when prices dont increase as much as you say, then what?

Plus, iPhones are already extremely expensive, so "made in China" isn't affecting their prices. Mac Pros being assembled in the USA or iMacs being assembled in the USA didn't affect their prices.

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 603

T'hain Esh Kelch

Then the workers aren't getting a high enough raise. :p

Assembly of an iPhone is about 3-4% of its price. I doubt that it is much different for Macs, meaning that even double that isn't making much of a difference in for the total price. It made no sense for Apple to move assembly to the US, other than good PR for people who doesn't understand what they were talking about and were all about "US first" for no reason other than "me first".

9. ThisIsNotMe Suspended

And?

The Globalists have spend the past 20+ years gutting our factories, offshoring our jobs, destroying our communities/families. This is exactly why Trump won in a landslide election. Why he won states like Michigan. Why he will be reelected in 2020.