Trump Transition: It Rhymes with "Muster Duck"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CaptMurdock, Nov 15, 2016.

1. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Trump Staff Shake-Up Slows Transition to Near Halt

Mike Rogers, who was handling national security matters for Trump's transition team, is the second guy to bail in a week - well, okay, after Chris Christie was dumped as team leader.

Apparently VP-Elect Pence is quibbling over language of the paperwork that will allow collaboration with the outgoing administration. Not the wisest thing to do ten weeks before assuming leadership of The Free World...

This struck me as significant:

Eliot A. Cohen, a former State Department official, said on Twitter that after having spoken to Mr. Trump’s team, he had “changed my recommendation: stay away. They’re angry, arrogant, screaming ‘you LOST!’ Will be ugly.”
    That may be putting it mildly.

2. CaptMurdock thread starter macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

...according to sources familiar with the conversation, says the Washington Monthly.

As opposed to a tweet from Elliot Cohen's own Twitter account.
    :rolleyes:
    Nuff Said.

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

How about from the proverbial horses mouth?

Got to sit in the back.

4. CaptMurdock thread starter macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Much better.

So, anyway, why is Pence throwing sand in the gears? They don't have a year like they did putting a campaign together. It's about seventy days to appoint people to literally thousands of necessary positions in the federal bureaucracy.

Trump, I can understand being clueless about how government actually works, but Pence should know something about this...

5. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Oh No...You said "Nuff Said", so there can't be any more debating. You have stamped it...maybe even a double stamp no erasies. :confused:

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I'm not sure we can trust a guy who was wrong in the first place.

"It’s over. Donald Trump, a man utterly unfit for the position by temperament, values and policy preferences, will be the Republican nominee for president. He will run against Hillary Clinton, who is easily the lesser evil but is trailed by clouds of scandal and misconduct and whose party’s left wing poses its own threats to liberties of speech, religion, enterprise and association.

It is time for a third candidate, and probably for a third party.

Some people will dismiss this notion as absurd. However, only those prescient enough to have forecast Trump’s success have the standing to certify impossibilities. If the Trump candidacy has blown up every other aspect of political conventional wisdom, why not this one?

Even if a third candidacy still yielded a Clinton victory, it would be worthwhile. It would, first, deny the Clinton campaign the illusion of a mandate from American voters who would have, en masse, turned out to reject Trump. If nothing else, a strong third-candidate vote would send her a message to govern from the center, rather than in deference to her party’s increasingly powerful left wing."

Trump isn't GOP. Trump isn't Democrat. Trump is the reminder to the GOP that not only are they dying they have been dead. Trump is the reminder to the Democrats and GOP alike that it's best not to ignore the middle class.

Cohen is a man that cares nothing more than the party, not the people.

"At stake is something far more precious than the future of the Republican Party."

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

This is exactly how it's going to go. Tribalism will allow any of his supporters to do the mental gymnastics needed to not call this guy out.

Trade agreements will go untouched, whatever.
    Deficit will expand given the tax cuts, no biggie we didn't care about that at all to begin with.
    The ACA's main regulations will stay in place, whatever we really didn't dislike Obamacare to begin with.
    "Drain the swamp", hey let's just put all the same types of corporate lobbyists in the same positions of power we've been bitching about, mysteriously, under Obama (who is and will always be a corporate shill).

It's contrarianism on steroids.

8. CaptMurdock thread starter macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Is that anything like double secret probation, buttercup?:(:po_O

9. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Trump had to defeat the media, Democrats, and the NeverTrumpers. I assume that Cohen was in the latter category, since his attempts to work with Trump's transition team were described as extending an olive branch.

Therefore, it's necessary to take Cohen's opinion at face value. He might have been arrogant and rubbed the Trump team the wrong way. We'll find out. Regardless, I think his revised advice was over-the-top and silly.

10. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

One week after the election and still no contact between Team Trump and the DOD. Fluster cluck.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Nor the CIA, amongst many other agencies...

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Breaking News: Trump presidency in shambles! 1 week after the election!

Oh **** We're all gunna die!!!! RUN!!!!!

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The Republicans have been running against government for a long time, do they even want to fill the positions? After all what better way to shut down the government than to not hire people to run it in the first place.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah, so? "noted matter-of-factly" that "I won" versus "angry, arrogant, screaming" that "you LOST!!" sounds like two things to me. One, usually better to stay cool than get all hot under the collar. Two, sounds like the transition team is out of control because it's split by far right anarchists and center right Republicans who've read the Constitution sometime recently. If the Constitution readers all depart the team then this inauguration will never take place because the far fetched idea of faithless electors will become far less far fetched in a hurry. I'd expect Mike Pence to step up to the plate before that though and chill some people out. I think he's read that piece of paper a few times, and probably recently at that.

Maybe the ACLU should send around a couple dozen more packets of the little copy of the Constitution that people keep in the glove box for traffic busts when there's nothing wrong with the ****ing taillight. I'm telling you man, reading that Constitution can provoke wildly disparate reactions sometimes. :D

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Sen. Rand Paul threatened to filibuster the nomination of John Bolton as Secretary of State.

I've had my differences with Sen. Paul in the past, but on this score I stand up and applaud him for decency and common sense.

It's hard to believe that ten days ago there were all number of people on this forum describing Hillary Clinton as being the leader of America's "War Party" (You know who you are, don't make me quote you.) And Donald Trump floats the idea of John "Bomb Iran" Bolton as Secretary of State?

Also in the column of Republicans who are finally waking up to reality? Ben Carson:

I don't get that. You think you are qualified to be President of the United States, but lack the experience and training to be Secretary of HHS?

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Props to Carson. He knows he doesn't want to be put in charge of gutting THAT agency. Running for President was different. He didn't plan on drowning government in the bathtub, just converting it to Christianity.

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I don't think trump wants near the CIA

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Heh. Could be. [crickets]

But what, he's backing off his pledge to make them go past waterboarding?

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So what happens on January 21 when the Trump administration is no where close to being ready and in fact about to implode in on itself. Have we ever been in this place as a country where the nation could potentially fall apart on day 1 of a new president. Do we have any fallbacks in place to keep the gears working.

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Where's jkcerda with his meme about let's keep obama on a month at a time until we figure out what to do LOL

22. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

It's funny, Trump sent Chis Christy into McDonald's to get some fries, then drove off and left him.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Christie didn't even know Trump drove of until hours later when the clerk told him he ate all of the fries.

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Christie could end up HHS secretary on grounds he ran some rehabs in NJ and no one died in Bridgegate trying to get onto the waiting lists.