Trump University Preyed on Elderly and Uneducated

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jun 1, 2016.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Of course, his supporters won't care. Preying on the elderly and uneducated, multi-level marketing. What a piece of ****.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/01/u...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

2. Robisan macrumors 6502

This deserves to be on full display, not hidden in a quote box:

One sales manager for Trump University, Ronald Schnackenberg, recounted how he was reprimanded for not pushing a financially struggling couple hard enough to sign up for a $35,000 real estate class, despite his conclusion that it would endanger their economic future. He watched with disgust, he said, as a fellow Trump University salesman persuaded the couple to purchase the class anyway.

“I believe that Trump University was a fraudulent scheme,” Mr. Schnackenberg wrote in his testimony, “and that it preyed upon the elderly and uneducated to separate them from their money.”​

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

for profit school, they are all pretty much the same on many levels. "school of beauty" my niece attended was 17k , glorified make up BS and "hair styling", I remember her saying she could make $400 per haircut at the right places, she just needed to find those places and the teachers did not do those $400 haircuts so that students could benefit from them. she dropped after a while and still got stuck with the full tab. another nephew went to culinary school, 34k to be a short order cook.

4. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Is the owner of the beauty school or culinary school running for President?

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Or better yet, did the beauty school or culinary school at least provide something for the money spent, even if it wasn't worth the cost in the long run? There's a fine line between a substandard return on investment, and being flat out ripped off.

6. Robisan macrumors 6502

Or already worth 10 billion dollars and still scamming elderly people out of their money?

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

nope. if he is guilty of fraud hope he gets reamed.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 1, 2016 ---
    beauty school was sued into the ground and popped up under a different name
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-marinello-closing-20160205-story.html
    I don't recall what happened to the culinary school.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

It means nothing except part of the continual attack on Trump. Look up a great show, such as Sopranos, on Amazon, and you'll see reviews including from 1 to 5 stars.

How can anyone give Sopranos 1 star, 2 stars, or even a 3? Right there's your disaffected Trump college flunkies.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Name me one successful Trump college graduate.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

of course poor trump always attacked and such a great christian. a persecuted christian.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

trump is white, Christian, rich , he must give you the biggest hard on you ever had, everything you hate in one person :p

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

your the one that hates. my dog is a better christian then trump he is only christian to get elected. but hey he used the persecuted christian to justify all the audited. he has beat that horse down to glue. also he is not white he is orange.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Also, I don't really understand this argument. Are you saying that it was okay for Trump University to defraud people because other for-profit schools do also?

This isn't a defense. Morally or legally.

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

He did later say that if he committed fraud, he hopes he gets reamed.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

see my alters post (renzatic).

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

D'oh, I thought @jkcerda was talking about the owner of the beauty school.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I was but it was not really an argument as it was more of an observation after seeing a few in the family get royally screwed. it's a shame just how many "schools" are out there willing to screw you over, I almost fell for one in health care until I learned you don't get to be nothing more than a glorified nurse ASSISTANT if you are lucky. over 30k in fees for what you can learn in adult education school totaling less than 2k. but still no where near the same as a registered nurse.
    /.rant.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

As long as you go to an actual, accredited school, learning to be an RN is well worth the investment.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yeah, there's several for-profit schools that do this, but it's important to note that Trump University wasn't just an overpriced tech or nursing school, but rather, the entire program was a scam.

No one learned anything at Trump University that they couldn't get from a couple of Google searches. But, they paid dearly for it, based on a sliding scale that was intended to grift its students.

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What the heck does a TV show have to do with a criminal scheme that preys on REAL people ?

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Yup, this was the major problem with Trump University. Contrary to what Fielding said, this isn't about some disgruntled washouts getting revenge for their own failures. TU never taught anyone anything. They promised their "students" the earth, said "students" paid the fee believing the sales shtick, and all they got were a few pamphlets, and a hand showing them the door for their returns.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

But US business is based on the idea that if you CAN make money somehow, you SHOULD. Don't think morals have anything to do with making money. IF anything the Trump chumps will applaud such an innovative way of making money....not realizing they are the same type of mind that TU took advantage of.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

No, that's the belief of some Americans. There are reasons why we have tons of fraud, racketeering, false advertising, and price gouging laws on the books that have to be adhered to.

TU serves to illustrate why we have them.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

at 45 I am out of time. and I did not find any when I looked other than the pay me tons of money for bull crap diplomas that are worth nothing.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

No, you're not. I've seen 80 year old women go to school to get their 4 year degree.

Just because you're menopausal doesn't mean your life is over, JK. :p