Trump Upset Jared Kushner Took Aspen Ski Vacation as Health Care Bill Faltered

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Mar 24, 2017.

1. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Trump will blame anyone handy (or absent) when something goes wrong. Kushner has doubtless learned to shrug it off. Just the fact that the Kushners went to Aspen was advice in a way: the AHCA bill is DOA so let it die. That Trump now lays the AHCA bill's demise at the Dems' feet is rich since the Ds were doubtless tipping back champagne after the bill was pulled and it's not like the GOP invited cross-aisle assistance anyway.

Even yesterday in his press remarks at the end, Ryan was focused not on how to get actual repairs of the ACA across the line in future, of course, just how to get his own majority party on the same page and so able to "govern" -- and was explicitly defining governance as something only the majority party does. The AHCA bill, bad as it was to begin with, ended up far worse in the end thanks to GOP factions putting what amounted to poison pill fixes into the thing. Poison pills for each other, same party! Well the masks were really off during those negotiations so we know they're not one party. Anyway Democrats' primary role was to sit transfixed watching it happen. Popcorn husks on the floors at day end all over Capitol Hill.

It is pretty amazing that the House Freedom Caucus was so intent on really killing ACA that they sacrificed their own party's Medicaid-gutting easy-pay method for most of those tax cuts the GOP wanted to put up next in the guise of tax "reform". This is what happens when you fixate on saying NO for seven years while not bothering to help govern.

Ryan got that much right in his remarks yesterday, without actually uttering the words House Freedom Caucus (since he can't afford to single them out in public if he wants to salvage anything from this term). Under the circumstances I thought Ryan's remarks were fairly circumspect. He deserves to keep his leadership post just for that performance. :rolleyes:

As far as actual performance of the Republican leadership including Trump when it came to selling in that bill, wow. The 17% public approval of the bill as amended said it all. That's somewhere below what Ross Perot pulled in when he ran for prez as a third party candidate... it's down in Gong Show winner's territory.

2. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Well, you have three seperate adults that are protected on their own:

Ivanka and her husband plus Eric. How many do each of them travel with when they are alone? Now combine them together, thrown in some extra for the kids, add in more people for different shifts and multiple locations to check out plus normal bloated government waste where extra people want a ski vacation too, and I could easily see the number being 100.

3. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

We have no way of telling if there are particular threats made against people covered by the service at any given time. While I dislike the idea of extraordinary money being spent on security of Trump family adventures, I would not want any of them to come to harm. The Congress may end up having to put some stipulations into legislation about means testing stuff like famliy excursions or vacations past some indicated number of interations or costs, or else just saying outright that past some figure then it's not up to taxpayers to buy additional safety for the President and his family or other service-covered individuals. We cannot have expected the framers to put stuff like that into the Constitution but its absence doesn't preclude writing a law to cover it. Maybe it's time.

4. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Being rich isn't as fun when you have to govern. The rabble complain and are a buzzkill.

5. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Why does he have a law degree?

6. MarkusL macrumors 6502

Maybe Trump has a point. He would probably have done this better if he had the help of a grownup.

7. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Ordinarily I'd say he does generally need Kushner's help sorting stuff out with the crazy crew he has in there. But this time, nah, that bill was probably beyond help to begin with and got worse as the two factions started tacking in fixes. It was never going to work because their House Freedom Caucus sat on their hands for eight years and said "No Way" whenever it was time to vote for something the Dems proposed, and "Maybe, what's in it for us" when the Republicans suggested an alternative. Meanwhile they primaried out a lot of center-right members with institutional memory of how to negotiate, and they sure didn't come to the House themselves with those skills. They came bearing Tea Party posters.

So now with a nominal Republican in the White House the GOP still has this severe factionalism and they had no clue how to construct a win, and Trump couldn't help them get there. It's like when a cow plants her feet and won't get on the truck, only see the farmer has all day to make it happen and this bill was taking a fade from the public already, by the hour. But the pieces of that party have come to loathe each other and Trump was smart enough to get that by the end. He didn't don't even have to be too smart to see it. The House Freedom Caucus is your basic Samson pulling house down around ears gig.

I suspect Trump himself only plays at that kind of applecart tipping, and he doesn't want that to get in the way of legislative advantages he sees to bits of the GOP agenda. Ryan still has to make nice with that Caucus but they're on Trump's dirt list now for sure, even if he overtly blames "the Democrats" for the failure of AHCA. I wouldn't be surprised to see Trump cross the aisle to get votes on stuff he cares more about than he did about health care per se. He cared about that because he thought he could get the money out of Medicaid for tax cuts.

Trump wants to win whatever he wants, and what that is I am not sure. He's big on personal loyalty (one way, to him) but political allegiances of legislatures mean nothing to him -- he was willing to tell the GOP to shove it while he still needed their help to win the election!-- so if he can't get what he wants from Ryan, he'll try Pelosi. Schumer, McConnell, left, right, all the labels are meaningless to him, it's "what can they do to help me get what i want?" He'll drive the whole Congress nuts before he's done. But they keep watching him do his thing while he and his buddies prepare to make it easier to loot this country. It's sort of mesmerizing really.

8. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

And everyone complained every time Obama played golf.

9. SusanK macrumors 68000

POTUS is whining about it not us. Kushner made off with POTUS daughter-wife at a trying time.

10. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

LOL right. The Don's memo to self : next time hire famlly members that are more compliant to my business needs.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Kushner was supposed to ski into Washington accompanied by a St. Bernard with a keg carrying not beer, but a silver tube containing the Holy Grail of Health Care, the plan that covers everybody, costs almost nothing, minimizes government involvement, and satisfies the Democrats, the Paul Ryan faction and the Freedom Caucus.

Either that, or maybe Trump is just looking for someone else to blame again.

12. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

They would be targets for blackmail. Queue the Hollywood B movie where the president's daughter gets kidnapped.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2017 ---

You win lol!

I think Trump forgets governing isn't CEOing.

13. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

I don't know
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2017 ---
    Then same is true for any security detail, IE Obama, Trump, etc....

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

But Trump's offspring are not children, with the exception (pun intended) of Barron.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 26, 2017 ---
    But that's my point. They're only targets if someone is willing to pay the price. Daddy would give up any of them except Ivanka.

15. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I agree, but can you imagine security details checking ID for everyone on the mountain? ;) People in this positions should consider what they are doing to regular people when they take their vacations. My impression is that Palm Beach is fed up with Trump spending virtually every weekend at the White House South.

16. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

Yeah idk how they are really going to protect anybody while they're out in the mountains.

17. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

That's the problem with your entire post.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Did obamas mother -aunt not have SS protection?

19. npmacuser5, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017

npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

How many times did your employer completely pay for your vacations? The required protection we taxpayers will pay for, not one dime more. The rest comes out of their salaries. Same with the POTUS, we taxpayers provide a secure house, if you and/or wife want to live elsewhere, comes out of your pocket. Additionally we taxpayers provide a retreat, use it or pay any additional travel and other associated costs incurred because you decided to stay elsewhere. This president talks big, but his actions are more along the line of do what I say not what I do.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Seems pretty likely. Palm Beach clearly doesn't like Trump as he's a distraction. He's nouveau riche for starters.

21. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Do you have other information that says Palm Beach Residents are happy with the near weekly disruptions?

22. SusanK macrumors 68000

Comes with the territory. During the 2000 presidential campaign I seldom knew what street to use to get home in the evening. Liberman was always here fundraising. SS closed down so many roads. Sometimes I just drove around looking for a way home. On a few occasions I phoned the police non-emergency line for advice on going home. Other evenings were Starbucks or Panera ports in a storm.

They are all a PITA when they run around filling their carpetbags. It is what it is.

We spent a ton for former first lady protection when HRC was decimating the Democratic party. I don't remember complaints about that.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 26, 2017 ---
    If that's the case we should be protecting Putin ;)

23. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

My impression is based on news reports, not something I imagined.

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

I hate skiing and winter sports in general.
    I hope Kushner and the rest of the bunch had some fun.

25. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I honestly don't know. I never even knew she lived with them in the White House until Obama's term was over.