Trump urging to repeal now and replace 'at a later date'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jun 30, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

"If Republican Senators are unable to pass what they are working on now, they should immediately REPEAL, and then REPLACE at a later date!"

That's going to be a great solution. As someone humorously tweeted back to him "Sure - let's repeal floorboards now and replace them later..."

I don't think Americans want to be in suspense on what kind of healthcare they may or may not have. Especially those that already feel they did that before.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I get the impression that trump thinks laws come with a big, red REPEAL button on them.

Push it, and the law ceases to exist.

That's how it works, right?

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I am sure he thinks it's like business.

"Cancel the contract. Refuse to pay the bill. We'll figure something out later"

4. iMi macrumors 6502a

iMi

No problem. People will just have to ask their heart disease, cancer and all other chronic conditions to wait until Republicans in congress (who enjoy a great healthcare coverage, of course) come up with a plan. :rolleyes:

5. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Come on, the guy needs a 'win'. Repeal would be a big 'win' & promise kept. Real solutions can come later, like when the next guy comes into office and has to pick up the pieces.

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

And bury the bodies?

7. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

:eek:

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't think it would be a win.

I just read that repeal alone is supported by only a small percentage of citizens.

9. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

But not to his base, his base loves all things he does. 45 has made it abundantly clear, he's in office to serve his base. Everyone else can fend for themselves, since they didn't vote for him.

Remember, he promised they'd be tired of all the 'winning'.

Of course if they get to tired from all that 'winning', they probably won't be able to afford to see a doctor about it.

But oh well, ...it's winning!!

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

LOL, yeah do that. :rolleyes:

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Wow, that's a good business idea! Sell a mock Repeal button at the various GOP meetings/conventions across the country.
    $$$

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah, Mike Pence. In about ten minutes.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

This is the mind of Trump we are talking about. :oops:

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Put above two posts together, and I see Mike Pence burying bodies. :p :eek:

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah, the option for automatic death panels... look ma, no hands, it just happens naturally.

When I had lunch with pals the other day, one of them mentioned a mutual friend had made good on a pledge to move to Portugal if Trump was elected. It's still such a tempting idea, as long as I forget about those recent forest fires over there. And the fact that I'm in my 70s. If I were 40, I'd have left before Thanksgiving last year and tweeted Happy Turkey Day to the Don from some new pied a terre on the other side of the pond.

Our lunch talk then turned to Trump and the GOP and ACA/AHCA/BRCA... the consensus was Trump doesn't care one way or the other. That to him it's just a biz deal that some "underlings" (the Congress!) are charged wtih getting done... the details are arcane and of zero interest to him.... and so either it works or it doesn't, and if it doesn't, then in his mind he gets to fire someone and wash his hands of it, walk on as if 320 million people weren't affected by his input (or, lack of it). Not only is there a lack of leadership clear there, it's also plain he doesn't give a damn about the fortunes of his hijacked party.

He's sort of like this about everything now, it seems to me. Purely reactive. I was once thinking that he had a plan that was pretty self-serving, and was staffing up to make it happen. But now things seem to descend into chaos and he resorts more and more to tweeting or holding rallies of supporters or throwing in a meeting with a head of state, plus staging theme weeks at the White House.

(did we know this week was Energy Week??! I heard that on NPR sometime this morning and thought aha I missed another theme week,,,, so far I've missed Infrastructure Week, Apprentice Week and now Energy Week... Trump keeps stepping on his own messages).

Here's an Energy Week thought: on my way to lunch, which was a 40-mile drive to a place that's easy for a bunch of us to converge upon once in awhile, it occurred to me that there's a cognitive dissonance in the fact that gas is below dirt cheap and yet the pipeline surveyors are out there demonstrating that Trump's greenlighting of oil and gas extraction means New York State may yet relent and allow a bunch of consortia to run pipelines through, under, over and around the headwaters of the drinking water supply of NYC.. They'll lose their shirts if they actually run the lines now. Their suppliers have already reneged on existing contracts on the grounds they lose money extracting oil and gas. But hope springs eternal even while I can gas up my car for less than I paid decades ago.​

Perhaps Trump is really tired of the reality show he thought he was stepping into. He did say in one of the more honest moments of various news interviews that the job was harder than he thought it was, that the constraints bothered him. I cling to those admissions when I go to sleep at night now. I think tomorrow I will hear on NPR in the morning that he tweeted his resignation. But instead I hear he tweeted yet another rant instead.

Does Trump read polls about what Americans want regarding the ACA? If he's serious about "repeal now, replace later" then it seems to me he is completely out of touch with the vast majority of citizens on ACA.

16. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

Well there's always the big, beautiful wall. Oh wait.

17. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Hundreds of thousands according to Pelosi, IIRC.

Where did they bury the bodies before the ACA? Might be room there still. I certainly don't miss those days of walking down the street and stepping over bodies because their health care wouldn't cover them.

Oh, right.

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

You don't have to die in the street to die from lack of essential medical care. You can die at home because you have to choose between medicine and food or rent, or just can't afford the cost of a treatment or an elective but needed surgery.

Most Americans don't want to return to the prospect of going bankrupt from catastrophic illness not covered by HMOs, or denied over pre-existing conditions. It's bad enough the insurers can still keep ditching groups of patients because they're simply nonprofitable.

As for the bodies: I remember stepping over bodies, albeit most of them still alive, in NYC in the late 70s and 80s as deinstitutionalization of the mentally ill took place. They then ended up on the streets and in colder weather were often sleeping, OD'd or sometimes dead in the lobby of brownstones, invisible until you opened the front door and then had to navigate over them to get to your mailbox before keying or buzzing your way into the building proper. It was an easy way to start losing your sense of the humanity of the general public.

In many states those were the decades when anti-peonage laws were passed protecting the human rights of the mentally ill in institutions, namely stipulating that if they worked and the hospital materially benefited from that labor, the patients had to get paid. So, the institutions began closing and the incarceration of the mentally ill shifted from poorly managed mental health facilities to the street, then to smaller group or community housing, then to the streets again, then to prisons where for-profit models still come and go from modern favor. It's unfortunately not that uncommon, even with new laws about medical oversight of the incarcerated, for there still to be deaths in jails and prisons from alcohol poisoning or conversely from acute alcohol withdrawal.

The boomers are starting to age into retirement now. A lot of them did not recover in full financially from the global crash of 2007-2008. Time will tell how they do without ACA before they manage to get onto Medicare. And of course there are the predicted impact of ACA "fixes" upon Medicaid, which was a prior last resort for those who once provided for themselves and then spent down to qualify for the assistance. How the states manage to pick up what the federal government wants to shed now remains to be seen.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sounds like you subscribe to the philosophy of Congressman Raul Labrador (R-Idaho) ...

"Nobody dies because they don't have access to health care."

(Love the crowd's reaction.)

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Well considering the original plan of the GOP was to repeal not replace. I'm okay with 50% of his statement. But the gov has it's paws on the insurance industry now. I doubt it will let go.

21. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

I think it's the other way around, the insurance industry has their paws on the crooked politicians from BOTH sides.

22. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Same same.

23. elistan macrumors 6502a

Out of sigh, out of mind, eh? Just because you close your eyes doesn't mean it goes away.
    https://obamacarefacts.com/facts-on-deaths-due-to-lack-of-health-insurance-in-us/

24. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Exactly. Look at all the memos and Executive Orders! More legislation than probably even FDR. What could go wrong?

This administration is exhausting. I think it's all the winning.

I thought it was "take your daughter to work and ignore her liberal entreaties to be reasonable because somehow people thought that's what she'd do, then, while watching Morning Joe because you're too big a boy for cartoons, Tweet like a bitter 'tween who sold their Ritalin to make a buck" week.

That's my memory of DC in the '90s and '00s, when I spent a fair bit of time there. In the winter, along the Mall (y'know, America's Front Lawn) you'd find many homeless people sleeping on the steam grates. During the day, there'd usually be a few near the White House, out front of the McDonald's where Clinton used to jog to get his McMuffin. They'd hold the door open with one hand and, like the politicians phone banking daily, hold out the other. The difference is doormen were genuinely following-through on their promise (to open the door) and they genuinely needed the money to survive. It was never hard to see that many if not most would have benefitted greatly from those facilities President Reagan shut down in the '80s. Society pays the price, one person at a time. But those people don't vote so it's okie doke. Plus, I bet they get free fries sometimes. This world.

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I say we repeal him and replace at a later date. A much more worthwhile goal. Might even be a more realistic goal, the more he tweets. :D