Trump uses climate change as reason he wants sea wall in Ireland

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jun 2, 2017.

1. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Trump isn't running his companies anymore. So "Trump" did not apply for this permit, unless its old.

2. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Did you read. Yes. And regardless, interesting. Also, if you think he's not involved in his business at all, I have a bridge to sell you

3. samiwas macrumors 68000

Seriously. Is anyone actually naive enough to believe that Trump is not involved at all in his businesses?

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Provide any proof to the contrary and I will believe.

5. niploteksi macrumors regular

Still selling vacation spots at his Mar-a-Lago hang out :)

6. shyam09, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017

shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

niploteksi pointed out the date of the article. I didn't see that.

To be fair ...

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0125/847644-trump-resigns-doonbeg/

I won't comment on if Trump had something to do with this (since it's speculation - I believe he still has a say in the business), but the article title is stupid: "Donald Trump acknowledges climate change - at his golf course... {Sub-title}
    The billionaire, who called global warming a hoax, warns of its dire effects in his company's application to build a sea wall."

If he had really done this, politico should be reporting on his involvement in his business.

7. niploteksi macrumors regular

8. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

Ooohh the date. Did not see that (or maybe I'm still living in 2016). Thanks for correcting me!

9. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I missed the date as well.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2017 ---
    From the article.....

As with other predictions of global warming and its effects, there is no universal consensus regarding changes in these events,” it states. “Our advice is to assume that the recent average rate of dune recession will not alter greatly in the next few decades, perhaps as far into the future as 2050 as assumed in the [government study] but that subsequently an increase in this rate is more likely than not.”

10. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

I thought the usual procedure was for a president to put his finances in a blind trust to avoid any conflict of interest in decision making. In Trump's case, his two sons are running the businesses. Now we can speculate as to whether or not they discuss it with him in private. But even absent that, Trump knowing what his businesses are can lead to potential appearance of conflict of interest e.g. when his initial ban of immigration from Moslem nations didn't include any in which he has business interests.

11. samiwas macrumors 68000

You know I don't have access to that sort of info, nor do I care enough to go dig it up for you if I did. But, you just continue living in La La Land.

Wow...I didn't think anyone was that naive. But, I guess it takes all types.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You don't put your family business in a blind trust.

13. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

Maybe my terminology is not accurate, but this from a Forbes article from 2016 (https://www.forbes.com/sites/jennif...decessors-did-with-their-assets/#358ff71b29c0 ):
    "Trump can solve a few of the potential conflict of interest problems by letting others control his assets through a regular trust, says Kiernan. Allowing his children to run the show, on the other hand, would make it difficult for him to claim he doesn't mix business with politics, particularly since he has reportedly asked the White House about getting top secret security clearances for his kids. Transferring control also doesn't change the fact that Trump knows exactly what is in his portfolio, and how certain events may affect his businesses."

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

2016. Just more evidence the emperor has no clothes.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It doesn't matter, you don't give the family business to someone other than a family member unless it's going down the tubes.

16. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

For POTUS, it does matter: continual conflict of interests and that is a valid issue. Giving it to other family members, especially family members involved in his businesses, in no way resolves the issue

17. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

Under normal circumstances. Being POTUS is not a normal circumstance.

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Also, the trust(s) he set up are revocable. He signs a few papers anew, et voila, trust bust is a fait accompli.

19. samiwas macrumors 68000

Ding ding ding. Even if he's not legally attached to the business on paper, I'd place my life savings on a bet that he's still controlling the actual workings.

My business is not attached to my name. The tax paperwork is in my wife's name. The corp paperwork is in my wife's name. The bank account is in my wife's name. This is all to avoid having the rental of my equipment run through myself as an employee of whatever company I work for. But, I still control every decision and dollar spent...she has no involvement.